Is it safe to say there will be no more direct ROM releases for D2G?

Asphyx

Reaction score
Well yes it will require getting down to the individual code lines.

But the framework would not need to be entirely rebuilt. You are pretty much using their framework with the Romer so it does work. There are a few bugs that need to be worked on as it is apparent they made the common programming error of hitting hardware directly and not via drivers as we were all taught is the proper way to go.

But you could limit the number of files that need to be checked by simply finding out from Liberty Devs which files they have customized and which ones were stock or AOSP Android.

It's a ton of work but it is not as much work as what people are asking Ang to do.
He is trying to write a framework from scratch and it's a great way to go for compatability.

Maybe Liberty is not the path we need to use here. Maybe the D2 Fission is the best way forward.

This is what Ang attempted to do and I am sure if some folks volunteered to help with the project you might see some more results.

bikedude880

Reaction score
On the topic of sensors (because we haven't heard enough of them yet), when they're built into the image, they seem to work quite well. If I can get the time, I'll take a look at where they get linked to and compare against a known working release.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Really wish I had gotten an X instead.

I have the same feeling, except should have gotten the D2.

Verizon sold my wife a Global after telling her they were out of stock of the D2. (Lies! It was discontinued!). By the time I had figured out I was trapped, it was too late to return it.

Thats pretty much what happened with me too. They sold me and my mom globals (she wanted a global though, i didnt). She told them i didnt need one but they said that was all they had =/.

draexo

Reaction score
I guess we could start our own Rom... when I am done studying for my boards and in between time with my wife and kids and work...

Frankly... I do not see it happening anytime soon. I have not done coding in years and years. I just do not have time. I might be able to make some time once I get my exams done and over with, but for now, I just do not have time.

To me, it would seem ideal to start with AOSP and go from there.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Im starting to work on one as well as testing the GRD rom. However its all from OG droid guides that im modifying. Also, Bikedude was working on one as well. Last i heard had it mostly working except for data.

We cant start with true aosp because of the kernel. Moto has blur basically infused into it and certain parts just want work aosp. Its like that with the d2 and dx as well which is why most if not all of the aosp roms are at most 95% aosp.

Reaction score
So why don't biknut and GRD get together and compare code. It seems like between the two of you, we could have a kickass ROM. Honest question.

Asphyx

Reaction score
I have to concur, AOSP is not going to work.

Ang had the correct idea in that the modifications should be made to the DeBlurred Moto as it is the one system with 100% support of the phone.

From there you can add AOSP and replace Moto versions into the framework until breakage and then compare the code between AOSP and Moto Version to try and understand why that happened.

The other issue with AOSP is there is no generic way to support the Quad Bands since the D2G and Pro are the only phones with one.

But one way around that issue could be to find a way to dual boot the phone into either a CDMA or GSM mode.

Then you could possibly use AOSP CDMA (losing GSM support) framework and merely tweak the drivers to lock it into CDMA and when you needed GSM simply reboot (or reflash even) to AOSP GSM.

It would still require some driver tweaking and maybe GRD has already figured out that part if AOSP could be made to work with the D2G drivers they have identified.

But I still think the best way forward is to start customizing the de blurred D2G (maybe even use Fission as the base.)
The key right now is to find the part of the framework that breaks sensors in D2 framework (if it is in fact in the framework).

It is a tedious job for sure but Hacking has always been tedious work.
Have any of the GRD team used WinMerge to figure out exactly what part of D2 Fission is actually modified compared to stock D2?

It would help pare down the list of files you need to check in regards to the difference in sensors.

If I had zips of each I might take a crack at it.

bikedude880

Reaction score
I have to concur, AOSP is not going to work.

Then you could possibly use AOSP CDMA (losing GSM support) framework and merely tweak the drivers to lock it into CDMA and when you needed GSM simply reboot (or reflash even) to AOSP GSM.

I'm sorry. So why is it that when I access the phone menu under AOSP, it gives me WCDMA, EvDO, and GSM options and allow me to switch them. Even 'logcat -b radio' shows the band change.

Just saying: stop assuming what you haven't (possibly) investigated/worked with. The only radio that doesn't seem to work atm is 3G data. Look at the bottom of a D2G build.prop, it shows some properties pertaining to the (fairly minor) changes required.

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.

avenged06x

Reaction score
It's safe to say. Stick to Jtag Xbox 360's..

Sent From Global FISSION 2.4.3

draexo

Reaction score
Why would I want leaked Gingerbread?

Because even with the blur my wife's X (running the leaked GB) is faster.

GRD has a RC1 up, I am going to try that.