Is it safe to buy a rooted android?

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by greencell, Jan 4, 2014.

1. greencell

greencell New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was hoping someone could help me. I'm new to smartphones and I found a samsung galaxy nexus android I want to purchase. The only thing is, it's rooted. I seem to read a lot of pro's and con's about this. My main concern is security and the ability to get software updates. Is it a bad idea to buy a used rooted phone? If the person who's selling it to me wasn't careful with their security after they rooted the phone, could I end up with malicious malware on my phone? And is there any way I can unroot the phone?

Any help on this is much appreciated.

2. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    If you are asking about a Verizon Galaxy Nexus, I wouldn't worry about updates, that phone wasn't supported very well even during its life cycle. I've sold many and bought a few rooted phones and never had any issues. I root every phone I have as well for specific apps, but never had any issues with my information being compromised. Majority of the time people factory reset their phone before selling it as well.

As for malicious software, it does exist, but it's not very common on phones. A factory reset should take care of anything as well. And yes, there are plenty of ways to unroot the phone, but root itself shouldn't interfere with anything except for updates, which the Galaxy Nexus never really had support for in the first place.

3. greencell

greencell New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Dezy, is the factory reset something I could do fairly easy with no extra cost? I'm a true novice with phones.

4. dezymond

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    A factory reset can easily be done at no charge. On your own and as many times as you'd like. It just returns the phone to how it came from the box, but rooted as well in this case.

A tip, I always get deals done at a Verizon store so they could check the IMEI# to make sure it's clean and not on their blacklist. If a phone is on their blacklist, they won't activate the phone. I'm sure one of the reps there would help you factory reset it there as well if you ask.

5. greencell

greencell New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you think I should ask the online seller for the IMEI# prior to purchase? There's a 14-day return policy so I figure I'd find out either way.

6. clintro

clintro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Swappa.com is a good a place to buy. The check the IMEI to make sure it is good.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7. Dalvik_Cache

Dalvik_Cache Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +125
    Yep, rooted phones are safe. Just wipe it like Dezy said if you're concerned.

8. dezymond

Ratings:
    +1,670
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Pixel
    No harm in asking for it and unless the phone is blacklisted then the seller shouldn't have any problems giving you the number.

9. AECRADIO

AECRADIO Active Member

Ratings:
    +25
    Current Phone Model:
    1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
    Twitter:
    @AECRADIO
    This has nothing to do with rooting, but if you are looking to buy, my suggestion is to stay away from 'Allthatcellular' of NYC, they do not work with customers, and my defect was under a 14 day refusal, and they never responded to my several calls, Emails or anything, LOUSY business practices, ignore the customer when you have issues with their devices(mine was bleeding screen).
    They bill as wireless connections, but I have 15 calls/texts/MMS messages that were never responded to, the machine answers, but you NEVER get a live person!
    Stay away from this 'business'...a shame really, as we have made several purchases in the past, but when the defect arose, they ignored us.
    We also noted that what they offered, is not what you bought. We were sold a pair of Droid 2, A956 GLOBAL devices, and what we received were the A955 version.
    We brushed it off and forgot about it, until the final problem with a leaky Droid X. This is when they began ignoring our calls, and I finally posted their information on my FB page so others would know of their practices.

As for rooting issues, there are generally none, you can root and unroot all day long, as Dezyond states, and you can easily reset the device back to factory, from the phones settings menu.
    If you have no need for root access to your phone's file structure, or feel unsure about using such capabilities, then you should hold off until you are certain you can properly use this function.
    And I also agree with Dezymond on Swappa, also.

Search tags for this page
buy rooted android phone

buy rooted phone

buy rooted phones

buying a rooted android

buying a rooted phone

buying rooted phone
is buying a rooted phone bad
is it safe to buy a rooted phone

should i buy a rooted phone

should you buy a rooted phone