is it really worth rooting?

sniperf250

Reaction score
Ive been considering rooting my blue droid razr and ive read alot about matts utility 1.81 but idk if rooting is a good idea ive never done it before and im afraid ill brick my phone someone help please.

Sent from my DROID RAZR in blue! using Droid Forums

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Ive been considering rooting my blue droid razr and ive read alot about matts utility 1.81 but idk if rooting is a good idea ive never done it before and im afraid ill brick my phone someone help please.

The rooting part is easy. The utility does it for you. It's what you do AFTER rooting that's important. You have more control over the phone, you can freeze bloatware apps that use up battery for no reason, and you can even tether. :)

OP
sniperf250

sniperf250

Reaction score
well ive got free tethering cuz im on share everything. but i should make a backup right im still afraid ill brick my phone though.:unsure:

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
well ive got free tethering cuz im on share everything. but i should make a backup right im still afraid ill brick my phone though.:unsure:

I don't tell people they should or shouldn't root. I only tell them the benefits of it. And let them choose. :)

What version are you on?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Excellent question Sniper!There are definite risks to rooting but no where what they used to be. I think one of the things that makes it easier to make the decision to root is the seemless ability to unroot if you need to.

The advantages to rooting are numerous... depending on what you really want to accomplish with your phone. Probably the biggest advantage is getting rid of the bloatware. The actual process to root, thanks to Matt L Groff's amazing 1.81 utility, is very easy with very little risks... if you follow the instructions carefully and spend a little time reading the errors that some people have made.

My advise to anyone that wants to root is that once you are rooted, do not make any changes to your phone's internal root files unless you know exactly what you are doing and how safe it is. There are plenty of resources to read up on what you might want to do but just make sure you do before you make the change. Some things you might want to do will require you to research a little more. Some things will be as simple as knowing what the one step instruction is. For instance, before freezing apps (essentially disabling your bloatware) you want to know which bloatware apps are safe to freeze and leave the rest alone. What's nice is someone has already put a list together that makes that easier for you (although that list needs to be updated).

Edit: I don't know if it is my browser, this website or I am a super slow typist but this is the second time today that I have responded to a post that by the time my reply posts there is a whole page of posts that weren't there before. Believe me, I am not trying to step on anyone's toes (do you believe me, Matty)? Sorry about that!

OP
sniperf250

sniperf250

Reaction score
pretty much although i do use some of the bloatware only one or 2 programs otherwise i have most of hem disabled

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
pretty much although i do use some of the bloatware only one or 2 programs otherwise i have most of hem disabled

That is one of the good things they added in ICS, the ability to disable them. "Freezing" them on a rooted phone does basically the same thing. I made the mistake of deleting a few on my old Droid 2, and it was a pain putting them back so I could take an OTA LOL

I learned that lesson the hard way. :)

OP
sniperf250

sniperf250

Reaction score
well decided to root but computer freaked out before i could even get the phone tethered to download the file so i guess rooting is not meant for me
:frown:

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
well decided to root but computer freaked out before i could even get the phone tethered to download the file so i guess rooting is not meant for me
:frown:

You download the utility first. Then you extract it, (it's a .zip file) to a folder on your desktop. Then you hook up the phone to the computer with the cable, and run the utility. When you hook the phone up to the computer it should automatically install the proper Motorola drivers.

You don't have to have the phone hooked up until you download the utility and extract it. :)

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Aww, Sniper I am so sorry! But tomorrow is another day! And look at the bright side.. it's a good thing your pc did not freaked out in the middle of trying to root.

OP
sniperf250

sniperf250

Reaction score
I was trying to use the phone for internet on the computer since the wifi chip is burnt out and the screen started freaking out so i gave up for now but i shall ride the root train eventually u can bet on it

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I was trying to use the phone for internet on the computer since the wifi chip is burnt out and the screen started freaking out so i gave up for now but i shall ride the root train eventually u can bet on it

There's plenty of peeps who know about rooting here, any questions, just ask :)

OP
sniperf250

sniperf250

Reaction score
Im on here every day and i read alot of the stuff here so i will definitely ask for help if needed thank you very much mattyp and tismydroid u guys have been a great help and i hope maybe in the future u guys are the ones that help me again. Thanks again