Is it really worth it to have the latest and greatest phone?

JSMachine

Reaction score
I have been a Droid Razr owner since the last time I upped my contract with Verizon. It has been around two years. I am grandfathered on unlimited, and I want to keep it. I know that in order to do so I must buy a new phone outright. Looks like I will be doing a lot of buying used stuff. There is no way I want to pay the new price for some of these devices.

I've just bought a Razr HD, and I was sitting here thinking about what to do. I have not switched from my regular Razr to this HD yet. The HD was built in May and is basically brand new. I know I could sell it and make a little profit. If I flipped enough phones, I could probably get up to something like the latest and greatest, but I don't know if it is worth it.

My Razr has been fine and done everything I have wanted. The only complaint I have about the phone is the lack of removable battery. I didn't like that they day I bought it. I guess I might as well get used to it though, because it looks like most phones are going to this. Before the Razr I had an X and I had a spare battery I carried in my pocket and I used it all the time.

I'm not really gaining anything by moving up to the HD, other than the fact that the phone is newer and has a fresh battery. My battery in my current Razr is shot and won't hold a charge for anything. Two or three charge cycles a day for two years has taken its toll. As I stated though, I am happy with the phone style and I'm sure it will work perfect. It just kind of scares me that I have now learned there will be no more updates for them.

What will I gain by moving up to the latest and greatest? Do I really need to be concernerd about technology at this point? I need a phone that works and is durable and stable. I have broken three otterbox cases in the life of my Razr. Each one saved the phone but that shows the conditions they are in with me. If one of the latest and greatest models is fragile or not stable, I would rather just keep the new HD.

I just don't want to miss out on any important new features that may come out, ones that would only be found in newer updates or technology.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Facebook will update faster on a latest and greatest. The camera will take better photos on the latest and greatest. New bugs introduced in the latest and greatest firmware well be introduced while fixing old ones. New features that'll be a wow factor for a little while show up but then often get relegated to the disabled app section in time
Often we don't realize how slow and clunky our old device was until we update because we're too busy being content with our slow and clunky.
In all seriousness the newest models are doing a great job of better battery life and in some cases have made large strides in reception. Shortly once the next version of lte starts to roll out every current service will be a dinosaur within months.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

OP
J

JSMachine

Reaction score
Facebook will update faster on a latest and greatest. The camera will take better photos on the latest and greatest. New bugs introduced in the latest and greatest firmware well be introduced while fixing old ones. New features that'll be a wow factor for a little while show up but then often get relegated to the disabled app section in time
Often we don't realize how slow and clunky our old device was until we update because we're too busy being content with our slow and clunky.
In all seriousness the newest models are doing a great job of better battery life and in some cases have made large strides in reception. Shortly once the next version of lte starts to roll out every current service will be a dinosaur within months.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Well with that being said, Should I try to flip the HD and move into something better? What would you recommend? The HD is in near new condition. I know I could get $150ish for it, and then go up from there on the next phone.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Me personally, if I was to update it'd be for a Note. I recently upgraded not because I wanted the latest (got a Note2 just before Note3 release) but because my former phone had become unreliable.
I've been using the same desktop since 05, same 10" tablet (Galaxy Tab 1) since 11 and didn't get a Note8 until August of this year.
If you can keep flipping and get a newest release for free then yes that'd be a very good thing imo. The newer models are coming out with specs that won't be outdated this time next year for the most part should you find a keeper.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)