is it really safer to shop online using my droid instead of my pc?

userofdroidphone

Reaction score
I have a motorola droid, and from what I understand droid uses a very secure OS which doesn't allow any part of the system to be modified without user permission, unlike windows. Since it is such a closed system compared to a pc (which let's all sorts of stuff slip thru the cracks) would it technically be safer to shop online using a droid instead of my (windows xp) pc?

Sam

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
while we really shouldn't advise you one way or the other (like a county probate court shouldn't answer questions that even sound like they are "interpreting the law"), i will tell you that i have done a fair amount of shopping with mine and have had zero issues.

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I also have had no issues with shopping via my computer either. Each phone app you install tells you what it has access to, but I don't know if those apps have to tell the truth. Could someone create a flashlight app that in the background sends your keystrokes out to some server someplace? Or a task manager that in the background does the same thing? If they could they probably would get caught quickly by someone out there checking out their packets.

If your phone is stock and doesn't allow unknown sources for apps to be installed it is more secure than someone who roots their phone and is constantly tossing stuff onto it. Likewise, your computer is more secure if you are not logged in as admin, is up to date on virus definitions and OS updates and doesn't go around visiting various sites that are likely to cause your system to have issues.

Your phone is certainly no less secure than your PC, unless it is compromised, and the reverse is true too:)