Is it really necessary to "train" or "condition" your battery?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks Jeffrey... and kudos to you & fully charged batteries, lol!

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hope this helps
Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post

STOP!! You're revealing my sources! :rofl3:

But seriously, it's NOT the BATTERY that benefits from an infrequent training...Lithium based batteries, and in particular the LIPO batteries in our phones (Razrs, et. al.), are unaffected by the problems that plagued Nickel Cadmium rechargeable batteries of the past, where they would being to essentially "forget" a portion of their capacity if it weren't regularly exercised.

In our cases, it's the metering system that needs to be both reminded and adjusted to recognize properly the maximum and suggested minimum capacities or State of Charge, since it's not something that is fixed and static. As these batteries age, they can hold less charge. Without refreshing the "flags" for maximum and minimum charges stored for the metering system to the new, aged battery levels, the meter will eventually be misrepresenting either or both, which can result in potentially deep discharging a battery and rendering it useless. Often the damage is only temporary (White light of death, bootlooping, etc.), but it can be permanent.

To the OP, you do NOT need to do this when you first get the phone, but what you SHOULD do is what JeffreyDeutsch above did...charge it fully WITH POWER OFF, and BEFORE activating it, to assure both that you've set the proper level for the maximum charge flag, and so that you don't accidentally deep discharge it by using it right out of the box. Otherwise, this "meter training" should be performed about every 2-3 months, depending on how much you use the battery - more use, train more frequently.

Also, as someone else pointed out (sorry don't have the name in front of me), using the battery and charging it within a range of between 20% and 80% will actually result in a longer lasting battery over all, versus charging to 100% and draining to 10%. These batteries actually prefer several shorter charging periods, partial charges rather than long and full charges, as the shorter charging cycles produce less internal stress on one of the battery's primary components, namely the anode. So plug in when you are near power sources, carry an adapter in your shoulder bag or back pack, and don't forget to use the car adapters as well. Instead of "feed and starve", try a more "frequent replenishing" to yield the longest battery life.

Finally, avoid at nearly all costs allowing the battery to deplete so far that the phone powers down on its own. If the meter isn't in good calibration and you allow the phone to drain the battery to a self-powering off, you may find it becomes unresponsive to the charger and either exhibits a white light at the charge connection ("White light of death"), and doesn't take a charge at all, or that it tries to boot and after a few seconds fails, only to repeat in a never ending process until the battery is drained so low, it can't even respond to the power button. These symptoms or characteristics are perhaps not identical but will be similar across most, if not all phones now powered by Lithium Ion Polymer or Lithium Ion batteries.

Last edited:
OP
pdaniel219

pdaniel219

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info guys! I really appreciate it. Turns out my wife got me the Razr M as an early Xmas gift. Way cheaper than the Maxx HD, but the specs are mostly the same except for the screen, memory and battery. She used my sister-in-laws upgrade so I still have mine waiting in August. I was going to pay full price, but it works out WAY better this way. I have 1 more question since my phone is brand new and 1000% better and faster than the stratosphere I was using. Does it hurt your phone, or the battery, to keep it on the charger after it hit 100% full? I use it as my alarm clock, and just leave it charged all night. I would think that it would cut the charge off at least to a trickle after it's full. Am I right? This phone is incredible and I want to keep it in great working order. I'm not the guy that's gonna root it, (not yet at least), I just want to maintain battery life if I can. After all the advice, I will definitely start charging it when it hits around 20%, but I have 2 toddlers and they can really take up some time, so trying to remember to check my phone after it hits 100% will be pretty tough. Again, thanks for all the input guys! I'm really glad I found this place. And I'm really glad I decided to give Motorola a shot. I think I'll stick with them.

P.S. - It was super cool getting the JB update RIGHT after I activated it, and it was even cooler knowing that a Factory reset was in order because of all the advice in the forum.