Is it really necessary to "train" or "condition" your battery?

pdaniel219

Reaction score
I have heard many different opinions on this topic. I was wondering if it is really necessary to condition your phone battery when it's new. I've been told to charge it completely and let it die completely 3 or 4 times to get it conditioned. Is this true? What benefit does it give?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, it does make a difference in how the meter reports the true state of charge for your battery. It is best to do the procedure every two to three months because the meter that reads the battery's state of charge, over time, will report inaccurately. Following this procedure will correct the inaccurate meter reading.

The steps to do a battery meter training:
*with phone powered off, charge it to 100% (you can check the % of charge by pressing the volume button).
*When it reaches 100%, turn phone on, unplug, use your phone without charging it until it gets to the low battery warning (10-15% charge).
*Turn phone off and charge it while off until it reaches 100% again.
*Turn phone on and use it and charge it as you normally would.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

OP
pdaniel219

pdaniel219

Reaction score
Thank you! Awesome info to have. I also didn't know it should be done every few months. I'll stick to it. I appreciate your response. I quickly became addicted to new phone technology and I can't shake it. I research everything I can. I'm still a little nervous about rooting, but I also have a Mac for a desktop so I don't have much of a choice anyway since there doesn't seem to be a whole lot I can do without a PC. Thanks again! I'm new to the forum. This place is awesome. Lot of good advice and cool people here.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks! This is a great place for pretty much anything you want to know regarding android. The thing with the battery is that it's not the battery that has deteriorated or weaker but it seems like it is because it doesn't last as long before the low battery warning comes on. The reason is because the phone's battery meter gets off and may report the battery as having only 10% charge when really it actually has 50% charge... or it reports that is 100% fully charged when really it has only reached 20% (or something similar). Charging it while the phone is off ensures that it reaches a full 100% interrupted charge and sets the meter to read it at true 100% charge. Then using it til you get the low battery warning and turning it off again to charge sets the meter to read the low level accurately. Many people who thought their phones were charging too quickly and draining too soon immediately saw the difference after doing the meter training/recalibration.

Have fun with your phone and join in, ask questions, and read...this forum has a great community.

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Hello,

Does this work only for the RAZR MAXX HD, or for Droid smartphones in general? (I'm assuming the latter, but would just like to make sure.)

Also, if this battery depletion/recharging procedure is only begun after the first several d/r cycles, will the battery (or battery meter)'s performance continue to be less than if the d/r procedure was followed from Day 1?

Thank you very much, and keep up the good work!

Jeff Deutsch

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Hello,

Does this work only for the RAZR MAXX HD, or for Droid smartphones in general? (I'm assuming the latter, but would just like to make sure.)

Also, if this battery depletion/recharging procedure is only begun after the first several d/r cycles, will the battery (or battery meter)'s performance continue to be less than if the d/r procedure was followed from Day 1?

Thank you very much, and keep up the good work!

Jeff Deutsch

Yes, it applies to all phones but I suppose it may be possible that some phones (or the way the phone is used), the meter that reads the state of charge could maintain its accuracy for longer period of time.

2nd paragraph: The battery-meter calibration procedure should be done ever 2-3 months and can just be used and charged as you typically would in between. I don't think the performance will be less if it wasn't done from day one or even from day 30. Chances are the meter is pretty accurate brand new. But what is best for the battery's performance is if it is fully charged before the first time it is ever used. But this rarely happens... I know I have never done it, lol. But the affect of not doing so, I believe, is so minimal that I'm not certain the difference would be noticed (ie. If you had two of the same phones; one you fully charged immediately brand new; the other you used right away. Would you notice or even be able to measure the difference in battery performance.

I think that answers the questions (or answered more than you needed, lol).

Gleason81

Reaction score
Beyond the advice given...i have read that normally it is good for your battery to keep it between 20-80% charge at all times. Overcharging and letting your battery kill your phone are not good for the overall life of your phones battery.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes Gleason, you are right...although I rarely am able to do that, lol!

OP
pdaniel219

pdaniel219

Reaction score
I did exactly what you said this weekend with my battery. Is this something that takes a while to improve? My battery is worse than ever now. I usually have about 50% around noon. I start work at 5. At noon today I was at 22% and it was falling fast. I could actually watch the battery go down about 1% every 30 seconds or so. Doing nothing but having the screen on. I'm just wondering if this will get better after a few charges. Thanks for all the advice and input!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
No, it definitely should improve. There is something draining your battery that shouldn't be. Was your data on but poor data signal? Make sure your phone is not in global mode... go to settings --->more... (under data usage) ---> mobile networks ---> network mode ---> select LTE/CDMA.

OP
pdaniel219

pdaniel219

Reaction score
Thank you for the response TisMyDroid! I checked my settings, and it's not global. Everything looks the same as before. I installed a battery manager app, even though I don't believe in them, and it actually helped a little. I may try to condition my battery again. I know that the first time I realm my battery down the first time, I didn't run it to 10 or 15%, it actually ran all the way down and powered itself off. Maybe that's part of my problem. I actually have a stratosphere right now, horrible phone anyway. The reason I posted here it's because I'm grabbing the razr Maxx next week, and it seems like there's more general knowledge on these threads. You guys rock. So hopefully I won't have to worry about battery life anyway. So I'll just try the conditioning again and see what happens, unless that's a bad idea. I think I'll wait to hear from you or someone else before I do it again. I really do appreciate all your help and input.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thanks for the appreciation. Doing the meter training won't hurt if you try it again. It is possible that the stratosphere's meter is not as effective in calibration but it won't hurt to do it again.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

McChronagle

Reaction score
i tried charging while having the phone off but whenever its plugged in it automatically turns on. is this something new?

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
TisMyDroid, thank you very much for your advice!

As it happens, I fully charged both my wife's and my new phones first time out, since the instructions suggested it.

Keep up the good work!

Jeff Deutsch