Is it REALLY gorilla glass?

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
There was a thread about this a week ago. A few other also reported scratches, seems it might not be true gorilla glass. I've been rocking a screen protector since day 1. I got it on 100% perfect so I dont notice it, except it tends to be slightly harder to wipe down/clean than the regular screen.

Same. Was very easy to install too.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
There is a very thin layer anti-glare coating on the screen. Perhaps it is not as resistant to scratches and what people are seeing is that layer being peeled/scratched and not actually the screen. Either way, I manager to get my screen protector on flawlessly and it's cut perfectly, so I see no reason to remove it. I do often flirt with the idea of taking it out of the snap case though. I love the way this device feels in hand and the case really takes away from that, but I'm trying to keep it pristine until the otter box is released.

The otterbox has been out for awhile, go to their site

rjracoon

Reaction score
Personally im not one for screen protectors as for other phones such as the env3 and env touch they end up making the screen look dirty, but I love the screen protector I have on my droid. It doesn't scratch and feels very smooth when using the device, I suggest a screen protector for everyone ^-^

gdgnj

Reaction score
There is a very thin layer anti-glare coating on the screen. Perhaps it is not as resistant to scratches and what people are seeing is that layer being peeled/scratched and not actually the screen. Either way, I manager to get my screen protector on flawlessly and it's cut perfectly, so I see no reason to remove it. I do often flirt with the idea of taking it out of the snap case though. I love the way this device feels in hand and the case really takes away from that, but I'm trying to keep it pristine until the otter box is released.

Which screen protector do you have?

militant

Reaction score
The otterbox has been out for awhile, go to their site

It was released tuesday, at the time of my original post, it was not available. It was listed on their site, but if you read carefully it said "this item is not available for purchase yet". It's now out but I have no idea if it fits with the extended battery which is why I am holding off.

SigSoldat

Reaction score
I used the original Droid for two years without a screen protector. Multiple drops, no carrying case, and the screen still looks brand new.

I've had my Bionic for three weeks and it has a shallow, but noticeable, scratch about an inch long. I always carry it in my front pocket by itself, just like my old Droid, and I've never dropped it, thrown it on a table, or set it down on its face.

This looks like an example of Motorola taking something that worked perfectly and "improving" it to the point of fault.

TyrantII

Reaction score
My guess is it's the "glare coating" I've read about. GG might be protected from scratches, but anything put on the outside of it will be scratch-able.

TyrannoTaurus

Reaction score
My guess is it's the "glare coating" I've read about. GG might be protected from scratches, but anything put on the outside of it will be scratch-able.

I agree. There is definitely a coating that is getting scratched, not the glass itself. It IS pretty remarkable how well you can see the screen in direct sunlight though.