Is it Possible...

Screwball

Reaction score
... to install applications/programs onto the Droid Eris micro SD chip? If not, why not? Thx!

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
no.. no app to sd support.. I do not think they have figured it out yet in the hacking world either.. someone might be able to prove me wrong though..

OP
Screwball

Screwball

Reaction score
Since the eris has minimal system ram for use, one would have thought the android powers that be would have thought the end user would require this. It's bunk if you ask me! I don't really want to root my eris, I want to be able to install apps to my SD chip via the stock OS thus freeing up system ram for other stuff! Crap I tell you!

OP
Screwball

Screwball

Reaction score
Isn't it possible for someone to write an "app for that"? Hey... I'd pay for it!!!:)

OP
Screwball

Screwball

Reaction score
What the.... I just learned that the new Android 2.2 (Froyo) version has the capability of storing to the MicroSD... now that is VERY disappointing!! Why oh why would the Android Chiefs NOT incorporate this nice lil option in 2.1 for us updated Eris users? Again... What the... is up with that!!! :mad:

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
What the.... I just learned that the new Android 2.2 (Froyo) version has the capability of storing to the MicroSD... now that is VERY disappointing!! Why oh why would the Android Chiefs NOT incorporate this nice lil option in 2.1 for us updated Eris users? Again... What the... is up with that!!! :mad:

Not sure your point with this. Obviously, since 2.1 didn't have it, the Android Chiefs saw fit to make that a feature in 2.2 to fix the problem. IF HTC/Verizon doesn't give us a 2.2 update, that is their fault and not the Android Chiefs.

OP
Screwball

Screwball

Reaction score
Well LWA... I'm talking about the people who write the OS code... why couldn't they write that option into the Eris 2.1 code? Obviously... if they had it written they could have given that to us as well! It's not that major of an OS write... rocket science maybe!?

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well LWA... I'm talking about the people who write the OS code... why couldn't they write that option into the Eris 2.1 code? Obviously... if they had it written they could have given that to us as well! It's not that major of an OS write... rocket science maybe!?

Once an OS version is released, you don't typically go and add feature to that version. If there are desired features they go into a new version.

Thus 2.1 didn't have it.
But 2.2 does.

As I said, you should be petitioning HTC and Verizon to work on a 2.2 drop for us Eris owners. dancedroid

OP
Screwball

Screwball

Reaction score

Once an OS version is released, you don't typically go and add feature to that version. If there are desired features they go into a new version.

Thus 2.1 didn't have it.
But 2.2 does.

As I said, you should be petitioning HTC and Verizon to work on a 2.2 drop for us Eris owners. dancedroid

I guess my wish was that they should have wrote that code into the 2.1 version before it's release but it wasn't that important to the code writers... more time consuming than what it was worth I'm sure.

I suppose if ALL of us Eris users would squawk loud enough about that option they may think about writing a 2.2 update for us... but I won't be holding my breath on that one! Since the Eris is an older android phone it's more than likely it will be put out to pasture soon if not already.

Do you suppose an aftermarket app could be written for the purpose of being able to store to the MicroSD without rooting the OS? Or is there someone out there already writing an app for that?