Is It Possible?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid' started by wrightperspective, May 11, 2010.

1. wrightperspective

Ratings:
    +1
    I know the way the phones are currently built and due to the technology on CDMA (Verizon) that you cannot browse the web and talk on the phone at the same time. But would that be possible in the future if they just built in one processor (or whatever is needed) for the phone and another one for the web? Just curious.

2. tcrews

tcrews Premium Member
    Premium Member Developer

Ratings:
    +22
    It's not the phone hardware, it is the CDMA network. You can not transfer data and voice at the same time over CDMA. If you are on Wifi (home network or such) you can browse the web or other data services and talk at the same time.

It's a limitation of the CDMA network only.

3. LifeIsABeach

LifeIsABeach Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe it will be possible in the future - when Verizon switches to their 4G network.

4. LtKen

LtKen Silver Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Yeah, this is my understanding. It's because data isnt sent in traditional packets like the internet and VOIP, it's streamed/dedicated more like a traditional telephone. GSM sends data and voice in packets, which is why it can interlace data and voice service.

5. rjax

rjax Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't see why this approach wouldn't work. If I have two Droids side-by-side, I can talk on one while using 3G to browse the web with the other. If Moto just put two 3G chips (or even one 3G chip and one 1X chip) in a Droid, it sure seems like it would be basically the same thing as having two Droids. I wonder if they'd have to assign one number for voice and a second number for data though?

6. wrightperspective

Ratings:
    +1
    Yeah...I was thinking along those lines. I think they could make it work if they wanted to offer a phone with those capabilities. I'm sure there has to be some reason they haven't done that yet, though.

7. yourname93

yourname93 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    lol verizon has thought about this numerous times but they will never do this. the way it was explained to me is that they will never because being able to use 3g would take away from using normal service, to explain in detail there service runs on one track while gsm runs on two track side by side yet the service is the same strength and with gsm it is run on two seperate tracks but it is distributed evenly throughout both of them. this alows to use 3g and phone at the same time, but it takes aways service from the phone. if any of that makes sense

8. takeshi

takeshi Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They would and you'd need 2 lines of service and the device would cost quite a bit more. Instead, 4G is a more likely answer.