Is it possible?

cesar357

Reaction score
Is it possible to return to Gingerbread? I downloaded ICS and it's a pain in the butt. I don't like it. It drains my battery like in a few hours. Before when I had Gingerbread the battery would go without a charge for like 2 days. I use my phone a whole lot. Now? I use it for a few hours and I need to connect it to the outlet. Is possible to return to GB?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
In a word..no. The Kernel for ICS is distinctly different from that of Gingerbread. Until either Motorola unlocks the bootloader or they issue a signed version of the Gingerbread with Kernel for direct flashing, we're stuck in ICS land and never to return to Gingerbread.

Now on to the power issue. First, you should do a Factory Data Reset. When upgrading between Gingerbread and ICS, there can be unresolved issues that cause battery drain.

Once you've done a FDR, then you should go through a meter training:

Power the phone off.
Plug in the charger supplied with the phone and allow it to boot into charge only mode.
Let the phone charge until it reaches 100% (to check progress along the way, tap either volume up or down briefly).
Power the phone on and use it until it warns of a "Low battery", at 10%.
Power the phone off again and repeat the charge to 100%.

After the meter training, you should be good to go. There may be other changes you might wish to do such as reducing screen timeout, reducing screen brightness, turning off 4G LTE (if you are in a poorly covered or non-covered area), using WIFI whenever possible, and a host of other tweaks or methods of extending battery, but to put the wraps on this, I am running ICS V .215 (and you would probably also benefit from that upgrade), and I have to charge only ever two days.

To upgrade to .215, go to http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/217843-mattyps-215-leak-classroom.html and get acquainted. The instructions for the upgrade and links to the files are there for your convenience.

OP
cesar357

cesar357

Reaction score
Yes. The RAZR MAXX.

Now regarding that reset. Doesn't that erase all my info on the phone? Doing a master reset.

Reaction score
Yes. The RAZR MAXX.

Now regarding that reset. Doesn't that erase all my info on the phone? Doing a master reset.

The factory reset will wipe out anything that is stored on your phone. Any app data I would reccomend backing it up before you start. It doesn't bother the SD card but I always remove it anyway just in case. Once the reset is done it is like you just got it from Verizon.

moset

Reaction score
I have tried to follow the many threads on .215. I see lots on how to do the update but very little on how it performs compared to.211.
I guess i should just try for myself. I understand files are available to return to .211 if we get off the update path as a result.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2