Is it possible to...

M

Matth3w

...keep certain applications from notifying you via the message bar for updates? If, for example, one app's update is worse than the previous version, and you want to wait until more positive comments are posted...

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
...keep certain applications from notifying you via the message bar for updates? If, for example, one app's update is worse than the previous version, and you want to wait until more positive comments are posted...

lol I made a post similar to this a few weeks ago. Basically, you can clear the notification and wait for the next update if you like but that's about it.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score
I think this will work. Copy the application to your SD card. Uninstall the application. Install the application from the SD card. I have seen several threads from people who have installed applications from their SD card and are therefore not getting update notices. You may be able to use this defect to your advantage.

OP
M

Matth3w

I tried that with the APK file on my SD card and installing from there, it doesn't seem to work. :(

rjax

Reaction score
Or you could just stop notifications for all app updates, and get in the habit of checking the Market every day or two for app updates (better if you have lots of apps, because it's almost guaranteed at least one will be updated every day). I've done this and much prefer it.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something? Do people really not like d/l updates or are they just finding the notification(s) annoying? Just curious?

rjax

Reaction score
Well, right now I have Beam Reader installed. There's an update out there, that if I accept, would turn it into a trial app instead of the permanent app it is right now. So, if I get a notification about updates, I have no idea whether I should ignore the notification because it's just another reminder for Beam Reader, or if I should click on the notification for apps I actually want updated.

(I wish I had done the same with Dolphin Browser -- I bet a lot of people who didn't upgrade Dolphin would prefer not to keep getting notifications to update it.)

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well, right now I have Beam Reader installed. There's an update out there, that if I accept, would turn it into a trial app instead of the permanent app it is right now. So, if I get a notification about updates, I have no idea whether I should ignore the notification because it's just another reminder for Beam Reader, or if I should click on the notification for apps I actually want updated.

(I wish I had done the same with Dolphin Browser -- I bet a lot of people who didn't upgrade Dolphin would prefer not to keep getting notifications to update it.)

Ah, makes sense. I've read on some other apps were an update has 'broken' the app for some users. Cool, luckily I haven't had that problem yet (knock on wood).