Is it possible to put Samsung S2 camera apk on Galaxy nexus?

cloud12077

Reaction score
Just wondering if it would be at all possible to rip the apk off the S2 and install it on a rooted Gnex?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
If you're aiming to change the quality then I don't think it'd have much affect. Could be wrong though...

If somehow you did find the apk it should work...

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
People were able to put the Droid X and Atrix .apk on the Bionic and it worked. Let us know if you try it!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
People were able to put the Droid X and Atrix .apk on the Bionic and it worked. Let us know if you try it!
Any reason why they put "older" camera apps into the Bionic? I haven't seen the quality of the Bionic camera so I can't judge. And since it was successful did they see any real improvement of their pictures?

Last edited:
OP
C

cloud12077

Reaction score
Well I got the apk from xda and tried to install it, but it says that it wouldn't install. I even tried to place the apk into the system/app folder (renaming CameraGoogle.apk to .bak) and still a no go. Any ideas?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Well I got the apk from xda and tried to install it, but it says that it wouldn't install. I even tried to place the apk into the system/app folder (renaming CameraGoogle.apk to .bak) and still a no go. Any ideas?

You probably need to change the permissions. May also need to change the name of the stock cam or freeze it. My guess is the permissions are the culprit tho.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Any reason why they put "older" camera apps into the Bionic? I haven't seen the quality of the Bionic camera so I can't judge. And since it was successful did they see any real improvement of their pictures?

Yea, the Bionic camera moves around like a drunken elephant! Trying to capture anything that was moving was a complete waste of time.

OP
C

cloud12077

Reaction score
When I change CameraGoogle.apk (Gnex apk) to .bak it removes the app from the app drawer and from my home screen.

When I place the S2 CameraGoogle.apk into the system/app folder it doesn't give me any app in the app drawer.

Just tried changing all the permissions to allow and still a no go.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
When I change CameraGoogle.apk (Gnex apk) to .bak it removes the app from the app drawer and from my home screen.

When I place the S2 CameraGoogle.apk into the system/app folder it doesn't give me any app in the app drawer.

Just tried changing all the permissions to allow and still a no go.

You'll need to install the .apk aswell. After you place it in the system/app folder, double click to install.

It won't show up in the app drawer until you do so. Also a reboot might be required.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
hmmm

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
I might give it a try just to see. I love the Nexus camera with all the built in effects and panorama capabilites... What's the SGS2 camera like?

OP
C

cloud12077

Reaction score
I might give it a try just to see. I love the Nexus camera with all the built in effects and panorama capabilites... What's the SGS2 camera like?

Not sure what you mean by what is it like. I personally want it for smile shot and potentially better photo quality.