Is it possible to hide/remove app tray apps?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by gatorbait, Mar 9, 2010.

1. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

Is there a solution for hiding certain app icons in the app tray that doesn't involve flashing a custom rom or using a home replacement? I have a handful of icons in there that are redundant in that they offer no functionality because of their widget, and a handful that I'll just plain never use (visual voicemail, corporate calendar, etc).
  2. STIDRIVER

STIDRIVER New Member

Not as far as I know.. I asked the same question when I first joined this site. Your right though, icons you either have a widget for, or have in folders on your desktops should be able to go away somewhere...
  3. theguy386

theguy386 New Member

if your phone is rooted there's an app in the market called "app vault". It can stow away your apps from your app drawer :)
  4. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

Have you used this app personally? I just read a review for it that states that removing an app from your tray will disable updating of the app completely. This is undesirable for the apps I'd like to hide that have widgets associated with them.
  5. lores35

lores35 New Member

If you are rooted you can use an app like Root Explorer. Open the directory /system/app. In the list of apps you will see apps like CorpCal.apk. Hit the button that says R/W and change the extension of the redundant widget from apk to bak. That will make it disappear. You can bring it back later by reversing the process.
  6. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

Thanks. I will give this a try.
  7. phaze3131

phaze3131 New Member

Uh don't do this because the widget won't work. He was describing how to uninstall an app completely, this you do not want to do if you still use the app/widget.

I am also curious about a way to hide some app or make a custom icon like "excel" for my text messages :)

Actually if the app isn't signed I guess you can unzip it but is the stock messenger app and chompsms signed, can we update their icons?
  8. gatorbait

gatorbait New Member

Hmm, bummer. I guess that is a good enough compromise for now. I can just uninstall the stock apps that I never use (Messaging, Corp Calendar, Visual VM, etc), and leave the unnecessary widget icons. I know there are some devs out there that have the option built into their app to remove their icons from the app tray. I wish more devs would do that. I don't need a low-res app icon in my tray that does nothing more than explain to me how to add their widget to my homescreen.
  9. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load New Member

This is my number 1 most desired app for NOT ROOTED phones. So many lame stocks apps I want 2 hide like: amazon mp3-farcebook-messaging-corp calendar-youtube... and I won't be rooting my phone. On the old school palm there was an app called obfuscate that could do this simple task.
  10. Yodes

Yodes New Member

I use Titanium backup to remove the apps I don't want. Very simple, just find the app you want, press it and press uninstall. :icon_ banana:
  11. miwaku

miwaku New Member

PandaHome

There's a home screen replacement called PandaHome that includes an IconHide feature. You can select any app in your drawer and they'll still be there, still work, still run widgets, and still launch from shortcuts, but not show in the drawer. Incidentally, it also gives you up to six "docks" along the sides of the screen to launch apps. I used it for a while and switched from 3 screens to one (it has up to 11), but got bored with it after a while.

I just want to remove stock apps without rooting my Droid...
Search tags for this page
android app that removes icons
android hide app icon from drawer

android remove tray icons

android tray disable

disable android tray

how to hide widgets on android

how to remove app tray from galaxy s3

remove app tray android

remove app tray in android

remove tray android