is it possible to have apps update through the market?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Nupe1911, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Nupe1911

Nupe1911 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i have downloaded a lot of app packs, some free some paid and i installed them via the SD card...With the Droid just getting rooted, wouldn't it be possible to place the apps in the directory where purchased apps go and have them update through the store? Or is there something else involved? becuase my free apps wont update and i dont want to have to delete and reinstall using the store

2. mammlouk

mammlouk Member

Ratings:
    +0
  3. phillyphill39

phillyphill39 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i dont think he is talking about that. if im correct he has downloaded free apps from the net, but the app store doesn't recognize them so if there is an update for them it wont ask to update it. and he is trying to get them to update. he is only asking about the free ones not the paid ones he has.

4. mammlouk

mammlouk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I was confused by this:
    Are there sites that sell apps to be installed via the SDCard? If so that's cool, just never read anything about it. Just trying to keep the forums out of trouble, I've seen things get ugly and sites disappear from a few wrong words.

5. darkrangr

darkrangr New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    download atrackdog from the market, will check all your apps for updates and if there are any in the market it will overwrite them like a normal update. once they have been updated they will track liek normal in the market. if you manage to get paid apps on ur phone legit or not, they will not update since the purchase history isnt there.

6. Nupe1911

Nupe1911 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    this is what i wanted to know...thank you

7. SwordOfWar

SwordOfWar Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On a side note, why would anyone want to download free apps from the internet (if they are available on the market)?

Wouldn't it be more secure to go through the market? There is risk involved when downloading it from any third party site. You don't know what people might have changed.

If its free and on the market, download it from the market like your suppose to, and you can avoid this problem.

And regarding paid apps, there is no way your going to get them to update from the market if you downloaded them somewhere on the internet. There is a built-in system that checks if your apps are bought from the market, and if you didn't buy it, it won't even show up on your downloads list and you won't get updates for it.

If you download/test a paid app, just spend the 99 cents it probably costs if you enjoy it. Most of the apps on the market are pretty cheap, and its so worth not having to manually search the web for the latest version all the time. I tested PicSay, and after liking it so much I went out and bought it.

So yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if they eventually get the market upgraded to completely disable leaked apps.

Anyway, I'm going to stop writing now, and go checkout some hacking news. Still hoping for a custom rom soon :)

8. Bhinderoid

Bhinderoid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you just go to the market, click the menu button, click on your downloads, and then look at your list? Whichever ones need/have updates will be at the top and say Update Available underneath.

9. mekishiko

mekishiko Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Some free apps are released on the developers website early, and sometimes Apps are available to the community as a "thank you" via web forums for free, while they charge a small price in the market for the average user.

for the latter SetCPU comes to mind, .99 on the market, and free from the developer on a forum.

10. hobby31

hobby31 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    No. If an app was installed through the SD card it will not show up on the market app even when there are updates to it. Only apps downloaded through the market will show up cause that the only record the market has of what you downloaded. The program atrackdog works great for this. It goes through all your install apps and searches the market for updates and gives you the option of updating through the market. Once you've updated through the market they will start to show up in your downloaded market apps.

11. Finnstang

Finnstang Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use eReader's app that you download through their website...it isn't on the market.

12. david1pro

david1pro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Prevent update notifications?

I have the opposite issue. I have a couple of apps that I have download, and work fine for me (from the market). I do NOT want to update them because the comments on the updates are all like, "you killed this... doesn't work after update... etc." So... I just ignore the update, but am reminded daily to update my app to a newer version I do not want. Is there any way to move these apps out of the market's eyes, so that they are never asked to update?

13. butch350

butch350 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    When there are updates from the market place you will recieve, (at least i do), a notification in your taskbar. Then you have the option to update
    or not.

14. AZDroid09

AZDroid09 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Use an app like Astro file manager to back up the app, then delete the app via Settings/Applications/Manage Applications and then reinstall it from the backup not the market. The market will no longer notify you of the update.

15. david1pro

david1pro Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I can just go an find the apk file in the data/app folder and move it! I gotta get it out of my head that things are "installed" in the traditional windows sense - as in registered somewhere... Thank so much!

Search tags for this page

hot to update app not installed through market

how to update a app you didnt buy

how to update apps you did not buy