Is it possible to get contact groups from Gmail to sync to Droid Pro?

nitrate28

Reaction score
I imported my Outlook contacts and calendar to Google and all contact group fields merged properly. However, these groups did not carry over to my Pro. Is it even possible to get this to happen (perhaps with an app)?

THANKS!

joshoid

Reaction score
Sorry, read that question wrong. Let me try a few things and get back with you!

OP
nitrate28

nitrate28

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just braindead, but I already have several groups in Google contacts that I imported from Outlook. The issue I'm having is that they do not sync to my Pro. All my contacts synced over without the groupings.

Additionally, I cannot figure out a way to assign a new contact created on my device to an existing group.

Ugh...

companionlink

Reaction score
Maybe I'm just braindead, but I already have several groups in Google contacts that I imported from Outlook. The issue I'm having is that they do not sync to my Pro. All my contacts synced over without the groupings.

Additionally, I cannot figure out a way to assign a new contact created on my device to an existing group.

Ugh...

It's not you, it's the phone. For whatever reason, Google's groups simply don't sync across by default. The good news is that there are ways around this! Before I can recommend a solution, however, it would help to understand how you're using "Groups" in Outlook - are you adding contacts to Categories, or using Folders to organize them?

OP
nitrate28

nitrate28

Reaction score

Ugh...

It's not you, it's the phone. For whatever reason, Google's groups simply don't sync across by default. The good news is that there are ways around this! Before I can recommend a solution, however, it would help to understand how you're using "Groups" in Outlook - are you adding contacts to Categories, or using Folders to organize them?

I have my existing contacts in Catagories from Outlook, which got exported as Groups to Gmail. Ideally, I'd like to maintain these same catagories on the device and be able to add new contacts to these existing groups. THANK YOU!

companionlink

Reaction score
I have my existing contacts in Catagories from Outlook, which got exported as Groups to Gmail. Ideally, I'd like to maintain these same catagories on the device and be able to add new contacts to these existing groups. THANK YOU!

I'm assuming you still use Outlook? If so, you'll want to check out DejaOffice on your Droid. It's a free Android app that allows you to sync contacts, calendars, tasks, notes, & categories with, among others, Outlook. On the PC side, you'll need CompanionLink for Outlook. While this program does cost, it comes with a 14-day free trial so that you can ensure it works for your setup.

Using the two in conjunction, you'll be able to sync the categories from Outlook to your Droid using USB, WIFI, or our own Secure Hosted Wireless sync. You'll also be able to add to and edit the categories right on the device. So, take a look at the options and let me know if you have any questions!

harrellj

Reaction score
One question I have (and I'm not sure on the Pro if there's a difference from the OG Droid), but if you go to the contacts app > menu > accounts > choose your account > make sure contacts is checked. That sets up the sync. Then, in the contacts app still, menu > display options > find your account and make sure your specific groups are checked. However, this still only does the sync from your Google contacts. If you're using Exchange with Outlook, I'm not sure if any of this would change, and not sure if Touchdown would sync contacts.

For getting Outlook contacts in sync with Gmail, there's a whole thread at Google about it: Sync outlook Contacts with Gmail Contacts - Gmail Help

OP
nitrate28

nitrate28

Reaction score
I tried Companionlink and it was a disaster for me. I am now committed to making the Google sync work. The Pro menus must be different because here is what I see and have set:

In the contacts menu there is a "manage accounts option", which shows the accounts that are enabled (my gmail account is).

Then there is a "display group" (singular) option, which shows thigs like "create a new group", "all contacts", "facebook", etc ( I have all contacts displayed). Of note, you only have one option.

Beginning to think this can't be done except with Companionlink....

companionlink

Reaction score
Could you explain the trouble you had with CompanionLink? I'd be more than happy to help you with any setup/sync questions you have!

OP
nitrate28

nitrate28

Reaction score
It doesn't support the Android calendar and I have no desire to use to different apps. Thanks for the offer to help, though.

companionlink

Reaction score
We are able to sync with the Android calendar via DejaOffice, but since the built in calendar does not handle the same types of data that DejaOffice or your PC do, we don't really suggest going that route unless you have a pretty simple calendar.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure of a way to make categories/groups work without using apps like ours. You might check SyncDroid to see if any of the solutions listed there can help. And, of course, if you ever do decide to give CompanionLink a go again, I'm here to help!

OP
nitrate28

nitrate28

Reaction score
I FIGURED IT OUT!! Went to contacts menu>display hide groups and HID (yes hid) my FB and 'inkenin contacts. This then displayed my groups in the contacts view. Bizarre...thanks for all the suggestions!