Is it possible o tether on a LIMITED Date Plan

Reaction score
To check your current version, go to settings>about phone and check the system version. If it is '4.5.596' you will need to SBF. You then have the option of the stock, rooted .596 gingerbread build or a custom ROM of Gingerbread.

As for uninstalling the apps, you can, but itbe careful. If you uninstall the wrong thing, other functions go out the door like email. I suggest using Titanium backup or something similar to 'freeze' the unwanted apps.

This is why I recommend the Liberty ROM. It doesn't install anything on your phone that isn't necessary, so you don't have to worry about picking which apps to freeze, uninstall, etc. You just install the apps you use over the ROM and call it a day.

Besides, there are tons of themes in the Liberty forum to change the basic colors of your phone (signal bars, battery, etc.) I personally use a green/black theme. :)

jonathon1289

Reaction score
[/quote]
Besides, there are tons of themes in the Liberty forum to change the basic colors of your phone (signal bars, battery, etc.) I personally use a green/black theme. :)[/QUOTE]

Nice color choice...I was on LIberty FroYo but havent tried LGB yet...my .596 is running exactly how I want it. I have put some different themese, but right now using stock, with ADW Launcher with the CyanogenMod theme and custom battery icon.

Ok, back to topic now. :)

OP
B

Boaty1302

Reaction score
I'm goin' through changes...

Team,

Thank you all for your help. I have gone from a complete "noob" (as you all call it) to a noob + a few hours. I did root my phone using Z4root. I was kinda expecting the Droid X to ring with Morpheus on the other line asking if I was ready to go down the rabbit hole...but that didn't happen. So now what do I do. I downloaded some root tool apps that had to force close a bunch of time? I go no idea what overclocking my droid will do for me. I can download some tethering apps but I still don't have anything to tether them to yet. And I can not erase the crap verizon put on my phone. Any words of wisdom out there?

Your Truely,
Mr. Noob + a few hours.

jonathon1289

Reaction score
If Z4root worked then in your app drawer will be an app named "Superuser'. But you cannot do anything with it so no use trying :) To test that it is working, any easy free app to test with is 'CacheMate for root users free" orDrocap2 (takes screenshots).

If you are rooted, then it is up to you what you do next. If you like what you have, stay with it. I reccomend getting Titanium Backup and FREEZING unwanted apps. If you want to try something different, install a custom ROM that is already stripped of all the Verizon crap. Liberty, CyanogenMod, and Apex are all top custom ROMs.

You mentioned overclocking, that is a whole other discussion. I suggest you search the forum here for overclocking and read through some of those discussions. Every phone and CPU is different, what works for me may not work for you.

OP
B

Boaty1302

Reaction score
What you don't know can end up kicking you in the but.

Dear Friends,

As I mentioned yesterday, I rooted my phone. I felt like a superstar. Last night I noticed that my employer sponsored e-mail service was not longer working. Basically, I can not get my corporate e-mails, contacts, or calendar if I hae a rooted phone. In the words of Spaulding Schmaels, "Double Turds!!!". So as I was on the phne with tech support last night, I was quickly unrooting my phone so I could continue to play dumb. Now I have some new problems I would like some much needed help with.

1.) After I unrooted my phone and rebooted. My phone no longer works correctly. I.E., it has taken about 20 minutes to boot. Go Launcher force closes everytime. task killer will not come up. Is my phone now a brick?

2.) Is there a way to go into the phone and restore factory settings now that the phone is unrooted? I need a lot of help fast.

OP
B

Boaty1302

Reaction score
Good News

Dear Friends,

As I know many of you were probably worried sick about the problems I created for myself regarding my Droid X, I have some good news to report. My phone is not a Brick. For those of you out there wondering the same, I discovered that it you take the battery oout, put it back in, hold the power button AND the Home button, that it will take you to boor screen with a android bot and an exclamation point inside of a triangle. If you hit the search button, you then go to a "safeboot" screen with the option of returning to factory defaults. I did that. Now my phone is like brand new, going all the way back to February.

Cheers.

OP
B

Boaty1302

Reaction score
the New question.

Is it possible to root my phone, get the tethering app to allow me to tether my xoom, then unroot my phone, and have the tether app work correctly?

Beka27

Reaction score
Is it possible to root my phone, get the tethering app to allow me to tether my xoom, then unroot my phone, and have the tether app work correctly?

No. You have to maintain root for it to work. Root-only apps only work if you are rooted.

Reaction score
No, it needs root to operate.

You might think about installing a custom ROM - I would look at the forums for each ROM. There have been many questions and answers about corporate contacts/calendar/email asked and answered in the Liberty forum. I'm sure the same is true with other ROMs.

I'm glad you found out how to factory reset your phone. I could have told you to do it if I hadn't been working this morning. :-D

OP
B

Boaty1302

Reaction score
Curing cancer

OK Team,

I am surprised on how good all the advice I am getting truely is here. I sincerely say Thank you. Now, here is where I am at in my process: If i root my phone, I can not use my corporate e-mail / contacts / calendar. their program checks to see if it is a rooted phone, disables the app, wipes my contacts, and then gets me in trouble. My only motivation is to tether a Xoom to my Droid X with out having to pay an additional $20 to $30 bucks to use a limited data plan (Should Verizon care on which device I use the data). I read yesterday about tethering using Bluetooth. Is there any info on that to be shared with me the Noob?

Boaty1302

jonathon1289

Reaction score
What app are you using for the corporate email? If it is the default, stock Corporate Sync then it works just fine if you are rooted.

OP
B

Boaty1302

Reaction score
It proprietaty app. I would name it, but I don't want to tip my hand to anyone in my office that may monitor this thread.

jonathon1289

Reaction score
Well that sucks. Lol. They won't let you use the stock sync or even a market app like TouchDown or K9 then? If it was my personal phone I would not have my work email on it if they demanded using a custom app that did not allow root access. But if it is a work phone then I understand why they would not want you messing with it.