is it me or are aosp source roms slower/laggier than rom made from the ota's?

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by tktouch12, Feb 1, 2011.

1. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

hey,
    so i recently started using a droid1 again. i've been trying to find a good rom. i've tried cyanogen mod, bugless, ultimate droid, simplystunning, and a couple other SOURCE roms. (i'm not sure if bugless is from source or not..)
    but they all seemed slow and laggy, i just tried RZ Baseline and it is way faster than any other rom i've tried. (i tried different kernels on all the source roms and they still all never got as fast as this rom).

is it common for roms built from ota's to be faster/more responsive than those built from source? i'm just wondering because i just assumed aosp roms would be better.. (now that i think about it, i think back when i used a droid1 like 5 months ago i think tried to stay on ota based roms and this might be why..)

does anyone agree? or does my phone just happen to really like this rom?

thanks
  2. mr_silent

mr_silent New Member

Try researching the topic. You'll be suprised how many threads you find about this subject. Its usually not the rom, but some poorly designed apps not doing they're job correctly. Try keeping your cache clean and creating a swap file to deal with low memory issues. Please be more aware of the topic before starting threads that bash the AOSP, its a work in progress.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App
  3. tktouch12

tktouch12 New Member

honestly, im not trying to bash them. ultimate droid is the coolest rom i have ever used. i love all the features and settings it has. everything about it is amazing (ud is personally my favorite source rom)
    however, it just seems that the ota roms are faster for me and i'm wondering if there is a reason, because i would really like to be able to use ud with as good of performance as i get on baseline.
    but if this is a common thing that would explain it.

I didnt realize there are other roms, i did a search and didnt really find anything
  4. dparm

dparm New Member

OTA stuff has obviously been optimized for a particular device. AOSP is not -- that falls to the developers. Judging by the pressure everyone puts on them, I'd say they are not able to spend the amount of time they want on device-specific tweaks. Verizon has countless people to do that...these devs have just themselves.
  5. gambit07

gambit07 New Member

6. mr_silent

mr_silent New Member

Aosp

Yeah ok, aosp roms will work on any device is that what your saying? Try loading a droid x rom onto a droid 1 and watch how fast you brick your phone. Where do think handset manufacturers get the source code to write ota firmware, they even use code written by rom builders as fixes to some fw. Look how apple got the iphone 4 to run gingerbread, that's what's AOSp is about, saves handset programmers a lot of trouble of writing they're own OS.
  7. dbst

dbst New Member

A DX rom obviously won't work on a D1 but there are AOSP roms for the DX...

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App
  8. JustisLewis

JustisLewis New Member

Dude chill out, no need to jump down anyone's throat. I'm sure he was talking about Roms built for multiple phones (UD, CM, ect.)
  9. mr_silent

mr_silent New Member

Didn't mean to sound so angry. I posted that after being up all night installing ydl6.1 on an old ps3 I found(headache). Anyways since I brought up the subject of the iphone running gingerbread, I'm wondering what everyone thinks about it. Good or Bad. Personally I like that it took another manufacturer to light a fire under Moto's a$$, and release the ota gingerbread for Droid X.
    Moto would hardly respond to anyones letters on the matter, nor the countless petitions I've seen. Guess they value competition over consumer morale. I wonder what kind of custom roms people are working on for the iphone.
  10. Vincent2189

Vincent2189 New Member

I nearly started a similar thread, so I know what you mean. I see people on various forums drooling over CyanogenMod, but it turned out to be the slowest ROM I've ever used. UD and bugless have faired much better on my phone(D1), but I wouldn't even compare them to LFY(or the new LFG) or Project Elite. They are built for the Droid are the run better, simple as that.
  11. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie New Member

Liquid is from source. If you want a rom built from ota, try RZ BASELINE OR BUGLESS BEAST. My current setup is BB 0.6.2.1 with a Sapphire 2.0 compcache kernel and it is actually faster than LGB and has higher scores! And that's with a 900mhz kernel! The battery lasts twice as long too!

Sent from my Droid running whatever ROM and Kernel I chose to use today...
  12. Vincent2189

Vincent2189 New Member

I tried your current setup(except with JDLFG 1.1ghz kernal, sapphire would not boot at 800) and while I do like the visual, feedback, and home of BB 0.6.2.1. Its not as snappy as PE on my phone(which is OTA as well?)
  13. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie New Member

With a different kernel it's not "my current setup". I have the opposite experience actually, and jdflg kernels don't even boot for me. What voltage sapphire kernel did you try? There's LV (low voltage), SV (standard voltage), and IV (incresing voltage). It's easy to confuse the IV ones with LV. IV won't boot on my phone. If you tried LV and it didn't boot, that's usually because your phone needs a higher voltage, in which case i'd try a SV one. If you tried iv, try lv and then sv. Compcache is key for me too. If I shut it down it's not as snappy for me.

PE is from source too... fyi

14. sgtguthrie

sgtguthrie New Member

The other thing is that when you wipe prior to an installation you need to wipe the system and boot partitions. SPRecovery, or rom manager won't do it.

15. Vincent2189

Vincent2189 New Member

I tried low and standard voltage with no success. I guess its really up the the Devs... I just had more negative experiences with more AOSP then OTA roms.
Search tags for this page

ota vs aosp