Is it just me??

Daywalker

Reaction score
Is it just me or are most of the problems people are having with their Droids user error?
I am not trying to insult anyone but I only know of one person out of 8 I know with the phone that has a problem and that is because it is way over his head.

I know there are real problems some people have and it took about a week and a half for me to figure out what I was doing, it just seems people take it out of the box turn it on have one problem and they are on here saying how bad it sucks.

I love mine would not trade it for anything

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
aside from the hardware problems, which are inevitable with any device, the problems are user error. It's to be expected.

There are A LOT of people moving over to Android that have absolutely no experience with it. The OS is totally foreign to them and they are essentially having to learn something completely new.

So they come here and post "issues" only to learn that it was something on their end they were doing wrong. It's normal : )

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
yup... just like anything there is a learning curve. since the droid came with no manual (nobody reads them anyways). they come here with their questions.

OP
Daywalker

Daywalker

Reaction score
One thing I will say is it sould have come with a manual.

But figuring it out for myself was half the fun.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
well there is the manual online.... but then again, if you were motivated/savvy enough to search and find it (wasn't that hard :) ), you really didn't need it anyway :)

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Just like anything, people need to learn. It's a great thing to have a forum like this to doso!

keiichi25

Reaction score
I do not believe a manual with this device would prevent people from having a learning curve in understanding things about the phone.

I am quite sure a lot of people on this forum, even with a manual, would still have 'user error' issues, mostly because people rarely bother with the manual unless it was to look up something. From what I have seen in general population use, is play with the device and figure out most of it, which strangely enough, most of the generic stuff is straight forward. There are also those who just prefer people to flat out show them instead of looking at the manual, mostly because some manual writers tend to write a little 'high level', using some words or terminology that is literally greek to people, and if shown, most people go, "Oh... That's how you do it."

BostonDroid

Reaction score
aside from the hardware problems, which are inevitable with any device, the problems are user error. It's to be expected.

There are A LOT of people moving over to Android that have absolutely no experience with it. The OS is totally foreign to them and they are essentially having to learn something completely new.

So they come here and post "issues" only to learn that it was something on their end they were doing wrong. It's normal : )

Well put...

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I do not believe a manual with this device would prevent people from having a learning curve in understanding things about the phone.

I am quite sure a lot of people on this forum, even with a manual, would still have 'user error' issues, mostly because people rarely bother with the manual unless it was to look up something. From what I have seen in general population use, is play with the device and figure out most of it, which strangely enough, most of the generic stuff is straight forward. There are also those who just prefer people to flat out show them instead of looking at the manual, mostly because some manual writers tend to write a little 'high level', using some words or terminology that is literally greek to people, and if shown, most people go, "Oh... That's how you do it."

well there is the manual online.... but then again, if you were motivated/savvy enough to search and find it (wasn't that hard :) ), you really didn't need it anyway :)

the manual is pretty basic

http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...tatic-Files/DROID_UG_Verizon_68000202474a.pdf

i've still never looked thru the manual... i'm not having issues with my Droid...
was just kind of jokingly saying... i know the manual wasn't much help :)

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Agreed, I work Tech Support for the US Army and I can tell you - 99% of it is User Error. Most people use a device expecting a result when they have no idea how to use it.

I never read manuals. All the fun comes from finding out everything on my own.

MickeyG

Reaction score
Is it just me...?

Yes, it's just you.

Just kidding, of course!

This is a great place to learn. However, I would appreciate it if more people searched the forums for issues that have already been asked and answered a dozen times BEFORE starting a new thread.

Ignorance of newbies (myself included) is to be expected. But how about a little common courtesy?

boatman2220

Reaction score
With any new device there is a learning curve. I found that to be the case with WinMobile and Blackberry devices as well. There's plenty of information to be found IF you look. Yes straight out of the box the Droid can be a little intimidating. But my nephew has one, and if a bunch of 12yr olds can figure it out, seems like some people aren't poking around enough with it.

Silver Member
Reaction score
personally, i've found teh absence of a manual has helped to ingrain certain techniques that i've had to learn on my own.