Is it getting old...? Please say it ain't getting old...

Discussion in 'Liquid' started by HorsePony, Jun 2, 2011.

1. HorsePony

HorsePony Member

Ratings:
    +10
    I've read here and there from people on this forum that sometimes a ROM is a little buggy for them and they have to go to another kernel, or another previous build, or they have to wipe and re-install...

For the first time since using Liquid ROMs, I've noticed my phone slowing on some things. Notably, GoSMS, the phone, the camera.
    GoSMS - just slow, really. That's all.
    Phone - Noticing that it's taking a long time to go to a call once I hit the phone icon from the contacts list.
    Camera - Noticed yesterday that I can take 1-3 pics and then it just freezes for a minute or so.
    "Activity disruption" - getting this pop-up message lately on some things, notably the browser and whenever an app takes a little too long to load/perform.

I'm currently running LGBv1.92 with its stock kernel clocked at 250/1100, running the smartass governor.
    I have owned by OG Droid now since Nov/Dec of 2009.
    I use it every day moderately, but certainly rely on it like a good buddy.
    I have never mistreated my phone and it's never suffered damage. Seriously, I gently lay this thing on tables whenever I put it down...LOL.

Aside from the three things I listed above, I really can't say there's anything else on my phone that's been bugging me. I saw on some of the other threads here that people are having issues with phone ringer continuing after call is answered...things about 3G/WiFi not turning back here and there...phones running hot...I have not had ANY of these issues, actually, and have been pretty satisfied with LGBv1.92.
    The only differences my phone has seen in the last two weeks are that I installed Juice Defender and SD-Booster, as these were two apps that were recommended here for battery save and speed reasons, so I tried them out. Unsure if their new presence on my phone could be creating some of these issues...or if it's just, sniff, my OG going kaput on me.

I've read here that there's a few people whose Droids are beginning (or have) gone out on them. I thought I would really have another year, maybe, with this thing because, let's face it, this phone is a TANK. A wonderful, smartphone-crushing, customization dreamer's dream TANK. So funny how I couldn't wait to upgrade after reading about all the new phones after CES, but then after finding Liquid here, I had forsaken those stupid little fantasies and loved my OG all over again with no need to upgrade.

What I'm HOPING here is that my D1 is ok...that it's just something I loaded onto it or that maybe I am experiencing some issues with LGB that some others here are noting, and that if I adjusted something either with the ROM itself or something in my phone settings (something I'm just not seeing), then some of these simpler issues (phone/SMS/Camera) may be resolved.

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

As always, thanks for reading.

2. metalspring

metalspring Silver Member

Ratings:
    +24
    First try wiping dalvik cache from recovery (it'll take a long time to boot afterwards) if that fails try wiping the cache from liquid settings (if the option is there, I haven't had liquid for awhile) or from recovery if its not in settings, if that doesn't work, wipe data and cache and system at least 3 times and reflash the rom...that should fix it then
    Sometimes some roms just get cluttered with stuff and slow down after awhile

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

3. HorsePony

HorsePony Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hey Metal, thanks.

I took your first step and, first, backed everything up, then went and wiped Dalvik cache...rebooted and I can see my speed on the phone directory-to-making-a-call is a lot smoother and faster. Checked on my camera, took 5 photos in rapid succession without an issue. SMS through GoSMS seemed smoother as well. Far as I can tell, seemed to have an improvement.

I don't usually touch Dalvik as I don't know what the hell "dalvik" is, but I appreciate the input. I will forgo your other steps for now and will just use them as needed...but for now, clearing the dalvik seemed to have helped.

4. therealjudged

therealjudged Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was actually coming to this forum to ask a similar question, though my symptoms are slightly different. The past week or so my phone has become a buggy mess: running extremely hot for NO reason, (the phone will be in my pocket and suddenly heat up to the point I have to remove it from my pocket...with NO activity) answering phone calls puts me on speakerphone automatically and I can't exit speaker, (when this happens I can't even "end" the call, I have to pull battery or wait until it FC's), its crazy! I've only had the phone since last july, I didn't think she'd die out this quick. Is there a tell tale sign that your droid is on its last legs?

5. metalspring

Ratings:
    +24
    First of all is your phone rooted?
    If not, then I'd say your best bet for trying to try a fix yourself would be a factory data reset and if that doesn't work then call tech support for your phone/carrier
    If it is rooted, try the same suggestions as above

6. therealjudged

therealjudged Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It is rooted, I'll try your suggestions. Thanks for the speedy response!

7. sonicfreak360

sonicfreak360 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If I'm not too late to help, I'm saying the dalvik cache was a nice idea. Also, I don't really like juicedefender, I've had my hardships with it. Since it isn't a rooted app (or is it... I don't remember) the only way it can save you battery is to turn off things like GPS. I'm saying you should try uninstalling that.

8. metalspring

Ratings:
    +24
    Good, that means there's all kinds of ways to fix overheating and those bugs if none of the other stuff works...lots of times flashing a new and different kernel will work great
    Just take a look at battery stats and look for android os, if it has a high % (over like 15-20%) change kernels to either lower speed or higher voltage

9. metalspring

Ratings:
    +24
    Best simple battery saver ever is a mobile data toggle widget...whenever you don't need internet for awhile just switch it off,

10. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Not sure what recovery you use, but according to Koush's twitter posting, there was a recent bug with RM-CWM that was for some causing a "corrupt" instal of new roms, it was updated fixed a few days ago, so make sure to update any update RM has had recently, to be safe, In RM i wiped the dl cache & re-flashed CWM recovery via RM. Now im not saying that that has anything to do with the issues, but it helps to eliminate that variable. I even nuked all my backups (not knowing which ones may have been effected) & started over.

11. metalspring

Ratings:
    +24
    Even better solution...go to raidzeros thread under custom roms and flash rzrecovery (can actually be flashed via clockworkmod in recovery)
    Much easier wipes, overclocking right in recovery for fast backup/restore/installs and battery charging possible too in recovery...its the best

12. hrdnhvy

hrdnhvy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive been thinking about giving rzr a try, I just was not sure how easy it would be to flash back to cwm if i didnt like it, but the way I see it, i should just be able to flash back to cwm threw rom manaver "flash cloworkmod recovery" i hope? But cwm seems to be good again for me, sooo, I dunno, it does what I need fer now...

#12 hrdnhvy, Jun 2, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011