Is it dead, dead?

Discussion in 'Android Tech Support' started by Sanpan, Jan 9, 2014.

  1. Sanpan

    Sanpan New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2010
    Messages:
    6
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    1
    Ratings:
    +0
    Motorola Droid Razr, not maxx, not hd, original razr.

    Phone has been great except the battery. Over time the battery has gotten worse, i can drain it in under an hour from overnight charge.
    I do tether, because I was grandfathered into unlimited and well i think the system is ****ed so i do everything i can to abuse it. Otter box case causes it to get pretty hot when i'm downloading at full 4g. Phone drains faster than usb 2.0 can charge it.

    I went to bed last night, phone was at 10% i browsed reddit and passed out without plugging it in, woke up and it was under my pillow. Phone was very warm, but should have died. Indicator light was changing from neon green to bright red and back just constant. I plugged it in, indicator went to white, which normally meant there wasn't enough power to charge it.

    I took the case off and noticed there was condensation from the phone and around the case, nothing serious just a little bit.
    I left it plugged in and tried soft resetting to turn it on. Nothing, light went to bright red, and then a dim red. Grabbed the cracked razr i had plugged my sim in and went to work. I left the dead one plugged in for 18 hours.
    Came home it was charging, at 40%. I got it on but it shut off within 10 seconds and is now in a boot cycle.

    It also said my sd card was damaged and needed formatted, before it went dead again. It's plugged in and still at 40%. any ideas?
     
  2. rudywilliams

    rudywilliams Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2011
    Messages:
    67
    Likes Received:
    6
    Trophy Points:
    8
    Location:
    Brentwood, CA 94513
    Ratings:
    +9
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto G 4 Plus
    Try charging it with it turned off. Probably need a new battery? That condensation may need a "rice" fix to get it dried out.
     
  3. AECRADIO

    AECRADIO Active Member

    Joined:
    Sep 2, 2013
    Messages:
    369
    Likes Received:
    25
    Trophy Points:
    28
    Location:
    Mesa, AZ.
    Ratings:
    +25
    Current Phone Model:
    1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
    Twitter:
    @AECRADIO
    Your battery appears to be near dead, and should be replaced to reduce stress on the charging circuits due to a bad/defective battery.
    Current demands placed on the charging circuits can shorten the life of the phone, as well as cause overheating, especially if the phone is covered or cased while charging.
    If too much condensation is inside the phone, the simplest cure is to remove the battery, apply direct warm air into the battery compartment to force the warmed air in and around the boards, as phones usually have a lot of open areas in that compartment.
    Minor condensation is not enough to damage a phone, but water can creep into tuned circuits and cause corrosion, which is why warm, forced air is the best method of moisture removal, unless you remove the cover, and unscrew the body and place the bare phone board on a cookie sheet and place it in a WARM oven, set to the LOWEST temperature, leaving the phone in the over for under an hour, to thoroughly warm the board, and to remove any moisture build up that may be present.