Is it a bad idea to publish my first app.

omgidfk

Reaction score
Its a tip calculator. Its not very... fancy looking or special. If you hit the calculate button with un-filled fields it crashes lol. I'm going to fix that tomorrow, but is there any negative to publishing an app? Its just so a few friends can download it to see it etc, mainly for my own personal benefit.

As you can tell by now, I'm new to the app environment. I've never published anything before and I just want to know if there will be any downsides. I plan on constantly working on this particular app, and updating it. Its sort of my learning app. As of right now its BARE-BONES, no menus, no nothing special. Just 3 fields, two buttons and it outputs some numbers on the bottom. I plan on adding tons to it over time, flashen it up, add a menu for who knows what yet.

Should I wait a bit? and if so, what should be implemented before its publish-worthy. Something else I'll probably do tomorrow before publishing it, is add a scroll bar, so you can see everything in landscape view. Also, when you hit the button calculate, to make the keyboard close automatically(That's possible, right?).

View attachment 47903

jiwengang

Reaction score
Its a tip calculator. Its not very... fancy looking or special. If you hit the calculate button with un-filled fields it crashes lol. I'm going to fix that tomorrow, but is there any negative to publishing an app? Its just so a few friends can download it to see it etc, mainly for my own personal benefit.

As you can tell by now, I'm new to the app environment. I've never published anything before and I just want to know if there will be any downsides. I plan on constantly working on this particular app, and updating it. Its sort of my learning app. As of right now its BARE-BONES, no menus, no nothing special. Just 3 fields, two buttons and it outputs some numbers on the bottom. I plan on adding tons to it over time, flashen it up, add a menu for who knows what yet.

Should I wait a bit? and if so, what should be implemented before its publish-worthy. Something else I'll probably do tomorrow before publishing it, is add a scroll bar, so you can see everything in landscape view. Also, when you hit the button calculate, to make the keyboard close automatically(That's possible, right?).

View attachment 47903

What the heck. I suggest you just go ahead and do it! =D

Good to see your accomplishment here. Big or Small. It is a contribution to Android Community.

Natey2

Reaction score
Congratulations on your first app!
How much does it cost you to publish it to the Market/Play Store?
Don't mind the negative comments you might get in the Reviews section. Sometimes you can get good feedback too.

Sent from my unrooted DroidX using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Don't mind the negative comments you might get in the Reviews section. Sometimes you can get good feedback too.

Ditto! Way to go. Flex those muscles and let's see what those creative juices can come up with next!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
Just some of my feedback without having used it:

If I were going to download a tip calculator, I'd want it to take into account that if you dined with more than just you, each person might have a different total part of the bill, so some people would owe more than others. Maybe based on how many people are eating out then have it display inputs for how much each person owes before tip, have it calculate tip for each person, and add tip to their pre-tip total. Basically show how much each individual owes. More coding, but it would be far more useful since most of the time everyone won't want to pick up the slack for that one person who ordered steak instead of a hamburger.

Also, it's a tip calculator, not a fancy game app, so you don't want to bog it down and make it too flashy. The UI obviously needs some work though, it's pretty ugly :p

Andielyn

Reaction score
Just do it!

I say go for it! Congratulations on your development! When you publish it, be sure to post or PM me and I will download it.

Btw, someone I knew was an inventor and had invented all sorts of very brilliant but specific manufacturing devices, but made his fortune by inventing the credit-card size wallet "tip table". :biggrin:

xksoftwaredev

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Congrats on the first app. I also created a similar app for my first app (it converts Biblical and ancient units of measurement to modern units of measurement). As far as the exceptions being thrown, I'm guessing you're getting null pointer exceptions. Just wrap your calculations code in a block that checks to see if its null. Should be a quick fix, and that way you'll avoid the possibility of getting negative feedback for exceptions being thrown. I'd say just make the quick fix and give it a go for release. I only released my first app about 5 or 6 weeks ago. If you'd like someone to test it out for you once its on the market give me a holler and I'll give it a shot!

xksoftwaredev

Developer
Developer
Reaction score

Hey just for your own reference, there is an annual fee of $25 that needs to be paid to google for hosting services. Otherwise, it is free to post as many apps as you want on the market. If you are selling your app, google takes 30 cents plus 1.98% of total revenue. Overall, google does an awesome job of supporting us little guys.