Is having a security app essential...or pointless

GSdub510

Reaction score
For a while I was using Lookout. All it did was scan apps and make internet browsing "safe." Is this necessary? Are Android devices susceptible to attacks and trojans?

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
It depends on who you ask. You'll hear from the "I've been without one for XX years and never needed it" crowd and you'll also hear from the "better safe than sorry" crowd. There aren't that many viruses out there for Android but there is malware and spyware out there. The market has had a few show up. I personally use Avast. It's free and it has some nice lost/stolen phone software included with it. I've had no issues running Avast and I've also had no virus/spyware/malware warnings either.

As long as you read the reviews in the market to see if other people have had issues with the apps they downloaded then you should be fine. If you download apps from other sources then know the risks. Again there are going to be some in here that say that you don't need it but the bottom line is it's your phone.

Last edited:

chhare

Reaction score
AVG Free is available in the store and seems to do the job......................coming from one of the "better safe than sorry" crowd.

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Useless.
Check AV suites for Linux, since that is what you are running.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
GSdub510 said:
Curious to know what you use?

I use Avast. I've also used Lookout and AVG in the past and liked them too. For me it came down to the lost/stolen features that Avast had. I liked them. I've also used Avast and AVG on my desktop as well. They have always been good especially considering they are free.

Sent from my HTC Rezound infused with ice cream goodness using Droid Forums.

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
LoudRam said:
I use Avast. I've also used Lookout and AVG in the past and liked them too. For me it came down to the lost/stolen features that Avast had. I liked them. I've also used Avast and AVG on my desktop as well. They have always been good especially considering they are free.

Sounds like you know what you're talking about. I'll check it out. But do you only use it for if it gets stolen/lost? I have another app for that but last thing I want is my phone to be infected!

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
GSdub510 said:
Sounds like you know what you're talking about. I'll check it out. But do you only use it for if it gets stolen/lost? I have another app for that but last thing I want is my phone to be infected!

There are some anti-spyware apps out there without the lost software. Take a look in the market, read the features, read the reviews, and install what works best for you. You don't have to use the additional features if you don't want to. Just don't set them up.

brad92

Silver Member
Reaction score
Use good judgement and you won't have a problem. I used Lookout on my Droid X for about 6 months and then uninstalled it. It ran better without it and I had no problems. Now I'm on my razr without it and have no problems

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
brad92 said:
Use good judgement and you won't have a problem. I used Lookout on my Droid X for about 6 months and then uninstalled it. It ran better without it and I had no problems. Now I'm on my razr without it and have no problems

That's the bottom line, good judgement. Read the reviews of any app that you want to install carefully. Unless you know the developer don't be the first one to download a new app. I've passed on a few apps myself because there was only a few hundred downloads and a couple of reviews. For me Avast is there just in case one slips by me. So far I haven't had any problems.