Is Handcent the cause of the random All message deleting?

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
What I don't understand is why Android has to force text messages to be stored on the phone's memory. If it was stored in separate files on the SD Card, people would be able to back them up, have unlimited number of texts stored (without affecting limited phone memory) and copy/paste to new phones or other Rom installations. Seems really retarded to me. Why? Because I can get tons of MMS.

Android has great functionality but it seems lacking in the reliability department. That said, I've never had all my text messages deleted (using stock app).

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's one advantage to Google Voice that doesn't really get mentioned. My SMS is stored in my GV account. If anything happens to the device (lost messages, lost device, dead device etc), all I have to do is load the GV app on whatever device I intend to use and let it sync up.

What I don't understand is why Android has to force text messages to be stored on the phone's memory. If it was stored in separate files on the SD Card, people would be able to back them up, have unlimited number of texts stored (without affecting limited phone memory) and copy/paste to new phones or other Rom installations. Seems really retarded to me. Why? Because I can get tons of MMS.
SD card isn't always available though. It's not so straightforward as just flipping a switch to have messages stored on the SD card.

Android has great functionality but it seems lacking in the reliability department. That said, I've never had all my text messages deleted (using stock app).
Reliability has been the least of my problems with my Droid.

Last edited: