1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Is Handcent the cause of the random All message deleting?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by spazma7ik, Jan 4, 2010.

1. spazma7ik

spazma7ik New Member

I have yet to download Handcent, and I have also yet to have all of my messages deleted unlike many other Droid users out there. I really want to download handcent and use it, but I am afraid that this might cause all of my messages to delete.

Has everyone who has had this problem also used Handcent?
  2. ldimick

ldimick New Member

I have not had this problem and I am a constant user of Handcent. If it is a real concern you can download apks that will back up your SMS.
  3. pandroid

pandroid Theme Developer Theme Developer

been using handcent for a long while now, never had that issue with it. in fact i never had any issue with it. not even a fc
  4. imiller913

imiller913 New Member

I haven't had any problem with messages being deleted I have been using handcent for a while.
  5. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

No the problem is not with Handcent. People who have had messages wiped include people that are using the default app as well (and other SMS apps). The problem seems to be with the underlying database that stores the messages, which is a common database (which is why you have to turn off notifications for the stock app when you install an app like Handcent).
  6. ZeRo_C0oL

ZeRo_C0oL New Member

...then why does the handcent update mention they're fixing a problem that causes messages to be deleted?
  7. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

I believe that's happening because of their storage settings. SMS's will be deleted when they reach the text and MMS limits which are user defined.

If there is a check mark in the box to delete old messages it wipes out everything that's been read.
  8. JayMonster

JayMonster New Member

cereal killer mentioned one case. I did also see on their forums problems with lost messages in 2 specific scenarios... One, when a Force Close occured, and the second, if I remember correctly had to do with a message popup (I don't use the pop up, so, can't say for sure).

These are about lost and or deletion of certain messages, and a bit different than the losing all messages problem.
  9. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

Using the pop-up here, no deleted messages for me. Haven't run in to this issue at all actually. But then again I clear threads when I'm done with the conversation. I don't store much.
  10. flameboy

flameboy New Member

I had all my sms's get deleted randomly for no apparent reason... I was shocked and horrified. Wasn't using any 3rd party messaging apps.

I do not want to have to back up my SMSs every day, I really hope it doesn't happen again.
  11. FoFa

FoFa New Member

has not deleted anything for me.
  12. ldimick

ldimick New Member

With the SMS backup I use it automatically places them in my gmail email account in an SMS folder. No need to do it manually EXCEPT for the first one.
  13. Kolaz

Kolaz New Member

I don't use handecent, just the stock messaging and I have had all my texts wiped twice and I've had the phone since release... I had the limit set to 5000 once and then had delete old messages unchecked the second time. I don't know why but it just seems to find a way to delete all my messages. Its so annoying!
  14. theknotfairy

theknotfairy New Member

deleted massages

I too have had ALL of my text messages deleted without warning for no apparent reason. I have been using handcent for about 3 months. VERY upsetting especially since this is an SMS app come people...no I will not becoming a "member" for paid services with Handcent. Maybe it's handy tool for getting you to backup with them.
  15. warrior21

warrior21 New Member

I have never had this happen and have been using hancent for the last year but it has been an issue for some people. This problem isn't unique to hancent users since it has happened on the native messenger also. As a previous poster said there are apps like sms backup & restore that will automatically backup your messages daily at a scheduled time if you are having this issue.
  16. BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire New Member

What I don't understand is why Android has to force text messages to be stored on the phone's memory. If it was stored in separate files on the SD Card, people would be able to back them up, have unlimited number of texts stored (without affecting limited phone memory) and copy/paste to new phones or other Rom installations. Seems really retarded to me. Why? Because I can get tons of MMS.

Android has great functionality but it seems lacking in the reliability department. That said, I've never had all my text messages deleted (using stock app).
  17. takeshi

takeshi New Member

That's one advantage to Google Voice that doesn't really get mentioned. My SMS is stored in my GV account. If anything happens to the device (lost messages, lost device, dead device etc), all I have to do is load the GV app on whatever device I intend to use and let it sync up.

SD card isn't always available though. It's not so straightforward as just flipping a switch to have messages stored on the SD card.

Reliability has been the least of my problems with my Droid.
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
Search tags for this page
all my text messages got deleted using handcent
check youself message randomly pops up on old droid
delete handcent message
handcent delete messages
handcent deleted my messages

handcent deleting messages

handcent sms delete all my texts
handcent sms deleted all messages
handcent sms erasing messages
handsent update deleted text messages
i use handcent and my messages are deleting by themselves
my handsent messages are deleting
why do my text messages delete on handcent
why does handcent delete your messages
will downloading handcent erase all of my pictures?