Is Handcent the cause of the random All message deleting?

spazma7ik

Reaction score
I have yet to download Handcent, and I have also yet to have all of my messages deleted unlike many other Droid users out there. I really want to download handcent and use it, but I am afraid that this might cause all of my messages to delete.

Has everyone who has had this problem also used Handcent?

ldimick

Reaction score
I have not had this problem and I am a constant user of Handcent. If it is a real concern you can download apks that will back up your SMS.

pandroid

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
been using handcent for a long while now, never had that issue with it. in fact i never had any issue with it. not even a fc

imiller913

Reaction score
I haven't had any problem with messages being deleted I have been using handcent for a while.

JayMonster

Reaction score
No the problem is not with Handcent. People who have had messages wiped include people that are using the default app as well (and other SMS apps). The problem seems to be with the underlying database that stores the messages, which is a common database (which is why you have to turn off notifications for the stock app when you install an app like Handcent).

ZeRo_C0oL

Reaction score
...then why does the handcent update mention they're fixing a problem that causes messages to be deleted?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I believe that's happening because of their storage settings. SMS's will be deleted when they reach the text and MMS limits which are user defined.

If there is a check mark in the box to delete old messages it wipes out everything that's been read.

JayMonster

Reaction score
...then why does the handcent update mention they're fixing a problem that causes messages to be deleted?

cereal killer mentioned one case. I did also see on their forums problems with lost messages in 2 specific scenarios... One, when a Force Close occured, and the second, if I remember correctly had to do with a message popup (I don't use the pop up, so, can't say for sure).

These are about lost and or deletion of certain messages, and a bit different than the losing all messages problem.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

cereal killer mentioned one case. I did also see on their forums problems with lost messages in 2 specific scenarios... One, when a Force Close occured, and the second, if I remember correctly had to do with a message popup (I don't use the pop up, so, can't say for sure).

These are about lost and or deletion of certain messages, and a bit different than the losing all messages problem.
Using the pop-up here, no deleted messages for me. Haven't run in to this issue at all actually. But then again I clear threads when I'm done with the conversation. I don't store much.

flameboy

Reaction score
I had all my sms's get deleted randomly for no apparent reason... I was shocked and horrified. Wasn't using any 3rd party messaging apps.

I do not want to have to back up my SMSs every day, I really hope it doesn't happen again.

ldimick

Reaction score
I had all my sms's get deleted randomly for no apparent reason... I was shocked and horrified. Wasn't using any 3rd party messaging apps.

I do not want to have to back up my SMSs every day, I really hope it doesn't happen again.

With the SMS backup I use it automatically places them in my gmail email account in an SMS folder. No need to do it manually EXCEPT for the first one.

Kolaz

Reaction score
I don't use handecent, just the stock messaging and I have had all my texts wiped twice and I've had the phone since release... I had the limit set to 5000 once and then had delete old messages unchecked the second time. I don't know why but it just seems to find a way to delete all my messages. Its so annoying!

theknotfairy

Reaction score
deleted massages

I too have had ALL of my text messages deleted without warning for no apparent reason. I have been using handcent for about 3 months. VERY upsetting especially since this is an SMS app come people...no I will not becoming a "member" for paid services with Handcent. Maybe it's handy tool for getting you to backup with them.

warrior21

Reaction score
I have never had this happen and have been using hancent for the last year but it has been an issue for some people. This problem isn't unique to hancent users since it has happened on the native messenger also. As a previous poster said there are apps like sms backup & restore that will automatically backup your messages daily at a scheduled time if you are having this issue.