Is Google Voice FREE ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
I have been reading the forums as I do all the time. And it has come to my attention that many people are under the impression that Google Voice is FREE Phone Service and or Calling. The old adage of if it sounds to good to be true, it probably isn't.

Here are a few Excerpts from some in the forum. You decide if you want to travel down this road. I have it installed, but, I haven't gotten around to play with it, yet. So this was good information for me as well.

Edited Quote

I wonder if this happened to anyone else:

I set my google voice to make my outgoing calls as I'm sure many of you have done as well...

This month I went over my allowed minutes by over $80! When you use your google number to call other people on verizon, you are NOT using free mobile-to-mobile minutes. You are USING your actual plan minutes!

Just thought I'd warn people...
Edited Quote
They've finally given us an open platform to work with. Major carriers lock down phones so that there are no variables and questions. Installing something like Google Voice adds a layer of customization to your phone that just a few months ago, Verizon would never have allowed.

It's your responsibility to do your homework. The Google app clearly shows that it's dialing a different number than the one you are calling, and while I don't know exactly where, I'm sure it's in the Google Voice Documentation somewhere.

If we want open phones that we can install and do whatever we want, we can't expect Verizon to pick up the tab when we don't Read The Manual or help files.

The actual thread can be followed here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/3952-google-voice-warning.html

Enter at your own risk. While all these add-ons are great and alot of fun. Not all of them can be used with out paying a price in $$$$

Thank you "heem" for your comments, and sorry to hear of you pain "ahwang" in teaching all of us a valuable lesson.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.