Is Google Fiber worth it?

Discussion in 'Android News' started by pc747, Jan 26, 2015.

1. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,475
    I have to ask, how long until Google Fiber have an effect on the entire nation?
    I know we not going to see fiber make a nationwide boom but they could get in enough key markets to influence a change in how we view Internet speeds.

2. grenefroggie

grenefroggie Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Ratings:
    +464
    Current Phone Model:
    Google Nexus 5
    What is the reason they are giving you for jot running the fiber? Are they an ILEC or a CLEC? Are they a small local company, or large state-wide or multi-state company? Sometimes fiber strung on a pole is for transit only, carrying enough strands to suit their transit needs. So that fiber that is 0.25mi from your house might be there for that specific need.

Also, building out fiber for that distance for one customer might not be worth it, even if you do pay the build out cost.

Or they might not really care as it might not be worth their time.

Send me a PM if this is something you really want to do, but if this is a real goal, be prepared to give up most of you life to starting up your company. There is a lot to starting an ISP, and a heavy investment in coffee and Excedrin is recommended.

Also, be aware that even if they don't plan to build out in your area you could face legal battles because they are going to want to stop you.

I think it is mostly a PR thing. To make an impact they are going to have yo build out to where other companies refuse. And they won't likely want to spend the money on that.

3. loki993

loki993 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    I think its only going to have an effect where is available. Most people that worry about internet speed already know that the prices and speeds available in the US are far worse that just about any other developed country. I don't see that changing anytime soon unless there is a nationwide fiber boom.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Most, if not all, countries with better internet speed and prices are much smaller and more densely populated. That infrastructure cost is a fraction of what it takes in the US.

Wireless has some issues to work through, but the way things are going I don't think it makes sense to make every last mile fiber. I think the US will mostly skip fiber "to the home" and focus on the backbone/backhaul capacity with homes connecting wirelessly.

5. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,479
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    I only have one choice where I live if you rule out satellite companies. Google Fiber will never come to my neck of the woods. We are on the verge of cutting the cable for television and just running with an Internet package.

6. kodiak799

kodiak799 Gold Member

Ratings:
    +1,003
    Also, the govt just hauled in $45 BILLION from its latest wireless spectrum auction. I'm not sure that happens in some of these other countries...and that $45B gets passed on to you, the consumer.

And that's just the entry fee. That doesn't even include the actual infrastructure cost which runs into the tens of billions.

7. loki993

loki993 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Most people only have one choice that's exactly the problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. pc747

pc747 Regular Member
    Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +7,475
    Unfortunately that is the case in many areas where you either choose Comcast or hopefully go with some phone company internet that makes comcast seem like it is blazing in comparison. Unfortunately in many rural areas that will probably be the slowest to change if not ever. But hopefully we can begin to shake up the status quo and inspire competition. But Competition also means change. We all want the super high speeds and the strong connections but we do not want the towers (NIMBY). Particularly in the rural areas people do not want the beauty of trees and nature to be replaced with towers, wires, and Google huts. And I understand why someone who have lived at a certain place for generations would not want the land their family worked for taken over by governments and corporations. Until we get to a point where we can use satellite technology to push high speed data over the airways while not microwaving the people below we are stuck with having to run wires and have towers to push out the information. So to those that live in the small rural towns are you willing to deal with that and are you neighbors willing to deal with it?

9. Ollie

Ollie Droid Does

Ratings:
    +2,479
    Current Phone Model:
    Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
    They could put their connex box on my property. I wouldn't see it. Maybe I can lease them a small box sized area of land :)

10. Yellowhammer

Yellowhammer Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Satellite will NEVER be a mainstream solution. The latency is horrendous.

Search tags for this page
google fiber basic internet forum 2015
google fiber network box with my own router double nat
is google fiber worth

is google fiber worth it

is google fiber worth the money