Is Google EVER going to figure it out?

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
As I have always said: Marketing is King. He who markets best, wins. Period. Apple became king of the portable music player market, not because they had a better product. Most people who know anything about these devices know that the Rio Karma and the Creative Zen player were superior DAP's (Digital Audio Players).
However, raise your hand if you ever saw a commercial for the Rio Karma? How about the Creative Zen?
Samsung started to figure this out with that great Galaxy commercial where the guy waiting in line talks about the new features of the upcoming iPhone. I bet most of you can even picture what the guy looks like when I put this quote here: "The headphone jack...is on the bottom!" POW, *mind blown*
HTC made some horrific commercials a few years ago and where are they now? Last I heard, pre-Pixel, they were less then 4% of the global market.
Which brings me to... this:

Just like the very first line of that commercial "What is it?"
Well, it's a commercial for.... Google? Aha, no at the very end we see it is for a Google Smartphone. This commercial tells us thing NOTHING about the product. What's great about it? What makes it better then... any other phone? "Life by you, Phone by Google". Well, that's catchy.

Compared to:

I don't love this commercial by any means, however in the first 5 seconds we SEE the phone. At 15 seconds we see the phone has some type of water resistance. Shortly after that we learn it has a much improved low light camera.

Then this came out:

Yes, that little girl is totally adorable, but I'm still not sure what this phone does.
Another horrible example:

I can't find the other one I wanted to share which featured a dude riding the electric skateboard scooter thing for the entire commercial.

Verizon makes better phone commercials!

My point of this thread, really, was just to ask you young people: does this advertising really do it for you? Did any of these Pixel ads make you want to learn more about the phone? Is Google bad at advertising or I am just finally getting old and it's over my head now? :D

Of course, anyone is welcome to reply and share your thoughts. Does anyone like these kinds of kitschy commercials? I like cool and funny and kitschy commercials, I just think you should showcase the product somewhere.

To be fair, Google DID finally release a good commercial online showing off features of the Pixel. Viewed over 12 million times, it was obviously much more successful than the above referenced videos. Maybe that was the plan? Kill 'em with cute and then announce features?

Last edited:

hauckk

Reaction score
I heard the pixel had a locked bootloader and right then nope and read about the problems required to get root on pixel too locked down I don't want a Google manufactured I phone that's basically what this is in my own mind anyway

I'm am advanced android user on a small budget I won't own a phone I can't bootloader unlock and root if I can help it i would rather use a phone 4 year old phone that require some hackiness to get
lte support the LG nexus 4 than a brand new phone that I can't use for roms

Sent from my iPhone 4s I also own a g900v and a LG nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Maybe it's my age (I am not young), but I'm with you Pere. I'm not sure these commercials are effective. As we have stated numerous times in the smart watch threads, these type of commercials don't show the product enough, maybe only at the end, and don't really describe what it's about & what it can do. Also similar to AW smart watch commercials, I like the catch phrase "Life By You Phone By Google". But tell us why we should want this phone somewhere in the ad.

hauckk

Reaction score
They should at least put the specs in the commercial I buy a phone based on camera ram storage and external sd card slot and screen size

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
They should at least put the specs in the commercial I buy a phone based on camera ram storage and external sd card slot and screen size

The only people that care about this are the die-hard enthusiasts. Who, let's face it, are in the minority. When a commercial airs on TV, they're trying to appeal to the masses. The everyday user. The person who doesn't know what "CPU" or "RAM" means...or care.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
The only people that care about this are the die-hard enthusiasts. Who, let's face it, are in the minority. When a commercial airs on TV, they're trying to appeal to the masses. The everyday user. The person who doesn't know what "CPU" or "RAM" means...or care.
RAM is a type of Dodge truck, right?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I feel like those first commercials were "teasers," whereas, the last one you posted by Google is an actual commercial.

Kinda like with movies. You get a teaser which shows you almost nothing, then you get real trailers that ruin the best parts. Haha!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe it's my age (I am not young), but I'm with you Pere. I'm not sure these commercials are effective. As we have stated numerous times in the smart watch threads, these type of commercials don't show the product enough, maybe only at the end, and don't really describe what it's about & what it can do. Also similar to AW smart watch commercials, I like the catch phrase "Life By You Phone By Google". But tell us why we should want this phone somewhere in the ad.
I find most commercials now leave me asking "why would I want to buy that or even look for reviews about it" . To me it's a3 way tie between Google, Geico and Little Caesar's as to I think about the commercial and not the product it's trying to sell .

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I find most commercials now leave me asking "why would I want to buy that or even look for reviews about it" . To me it's a3 way tie between Google, Geico and Little Caesar's as to I think about the commercial and not the product it's trying to sell .

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><

Every time we have a commercial discussion it reminds me of one of the original Droid commercials. The one where the meteor pods fall from the sky and burn into the ground. Then while people are looking into the hole, it opens up and shows the new Droid. That was an awesome commercial and it made me want to go buy a Droid phone. I didn't buy one right away (didn't think I would like it....silly me), but made me want one. I'm not saying the Google commercials are bad, they are well made IMHO, but if I didn't already know what a Pixel phone was their commercials might not make me want one.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Every time we have a commercial discussion it reminds me of one of the original Droid commercials. The one where the meteor pods fall from the sky and burn into the ground. Then while people are looking into the hole, it opens up and shows the new Droid. That was an awesome commercial and it made me want to go buy a Droid phone. I didn't buy one right away (didn't think I would like it....silly me), but made me want one. I'm not saying the Google commercials are bad, they are well made IMHO, but if I didn't already know what a Pixel phone was their commercials might not make me want one.
Best commercial ever for any product

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><