is getting a tablet worth it at all?

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Make no mistake: a tablet is a toy. No one needs an iPad or a XOOM.

People who are willing to pay monthly data plans for a smartphone AND a tablet are either too rich or too stupid... yeah I said it! :D

If you have a smartphone and a PC/laptop, you're set. Don't waste your money unless you have some to burn and you really enjoy tech toys.

Word. It's like a computer with no disk drives
But do you really NEED disk drives anymore?

I was thinking about this because of the Atrix4G connecting to the "laptop". And most of our phones have become our handheld computers now. Mine has. I rarely legally tether to my netbook anymore.

Google docs to store documents.
Various photo sites to keep photos on
Intranet accounts at work places and access to them through the web. With their own intranet site to host documents (we have one of those).

We'd need some space for aps to work with documents and photos. but that would be it. Well okay video until Netflix, and music until some other way of doing that (or is there?).

I think a lot of people have felt safer having disks, flashsticks, hard drives, etc., then it out there in cyber space. Me too. But I think it might be going to off site storage.

So one day tablets (with a separate keyboard) may be the way to go. Since at my current job I haven't typed all that much. I use a mouse (maybe one day a finger for touch screen) more then anything.

Just a thought...

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
But do you really NEED disk drives anymore?
I think a lot of people have felt safer having disks, flashsticks, hard drives, etc., then it out there in cyber space. Me too. But I think it might be going to off site storage

You might be right a few years from now, but that's not the case at the moment. I do envision a day where smartphones will be powerful enough to replace desktops and all their functions, being able to dock to stations and tablet form-factors. But... I'd say we're at least 5 years away from that.

I still need to burn CDs for various reasons. I use my PC as my primary DVD player. I also download high-quality movies and TV episodes, for which I have two 1TB hard drives. Currently, mobile devices and cloud services can't match the speed or storage (or reliability) of local media.

Cloud services are going to be an interesting battle... it's a great idea, but requires an internet connection to work AT ALL. Seeing as how the future of bandwidth will be "usage-based billing", streaming movies and music will be more expensive than, say, downloading them once and having them permanently stored.

DFSBMC

Reaction score
Friend of mine bought an iPad last month and he let me use it for a few days to see what I thought of it. It is an interesting device, but I don't feel it lives up to the hype. I can see it being useful for some things, but it certainly didn't wow me. I think one of the problems with the iPad is that Apple tried to make it do so many things that it doesn't do anything really well.

DFSBMC

Reaction score
People who are willing to pay monthly data plans for a smartphone AND a tablet are either too rich or too stupid... yeah I said it! :D

Well said! I especially love the ones that have 3 or 4 different devices, plus a laptop with a broadband card. I know a guy that is over the top with this kind of thing and he has to be paying at least $500/mo for services. He even has one of those Verizon access point things in his car 'just in case'. I just don't get it.

foxky

Reaction score
ill buy a tablet when I can play world of Warcraft on it! :p

tapped on my LibX 1.5

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Where to begin...
I've been in the thick of things tech mobile from the first bag phones. With each new device innovation my dreams have always exceeded their capabilities. The first cassiopeia with its clip/screw on hard line modem saw a move forward towards independence on a grand scale for its time. With each new trend I played the keep up if I dare game like so many others.

Cell phone in one hand and laptop in the other with a pda device in one pocket and a bag full of peripherals at my feet, justifying each new upgrade as best I could.
I cannot slander the apple fanboys as I was among their ranks until android better served my needs..
Much has been said about itunes and its limitations but it was the hidden apple kill switch that had me hating apple...yet there I stayed, jail broken.

Android offered an alternative and I've been happy since so here I stay...
On the other hand...Though my DX is off the hook, I do have needs for that which exceed its capabilities, gaming, movies shared with multiple viewers simultaneously to name a few.
With the advent of acquiring a netbook I reduced my bulk yet retained my mobility and versatility.
Soooo, with all of this, at my disposal, why would I get a xoom?
I'm neither rich nor an idiot... What I am, is practical... The tablet fills the void... There when I need more than my DX and it's small screen but the bulk and foot print of my netbook are not justified.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it, especially if my WIFE starts asking questions....
:)
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

darkmatter

Reaction score
ill buy a tablet when I can play world of Warcraft on it! :p

tapped on my LibX 1.5

I can play wow on my droid...remote desktop ftw.

This topic is why I got the nook color. To see how i'd use a tab, but without the 500+ price tag. I also like the size of the nook better. At 9-10+ inches, I would shop netbooks. Same price and size, much more utility.

I find that I like the screen of the nook, and when I go back to my phone, its so small, lol. Also, being able to wifi tether frm droid to nook is very nice. I don't see the point in paying data for two devices..unless I used both at the same time, which I don't.