is getting a tablet worth it at all?

Weapondrift

Reaction score
a few years ago I would have sold just about anything I could if I really wanted a tablet but Im not as jumpy now. So honestly, no bull, no quarter, how can a tablet help ME? I already have a droid, I already have a kindle. Is there any benefits that a tablet does that my droid cant do already aside from a larger screen?

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
No not really. I'm holding out for a tablet with a hard drive, say an 80 GB like the one in an iPod classic. I'm in the minority here and not that impressed with the tablet craze.
I just got a new laptop with a dual core fast processor, 4GB memory, 360 GB HD, optical drive all for a little over $600.
I find the idea of a fast, big screen smart phone to be a much better and useful device.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

etx_droid

Reaction score
I won an iPad and sold it for $475 bucks. I don't see the usefulness in them especially if you have a laptop. I've heard "Words With Friends" is awesome on the iPad though lol...500 bucks for WORDS WITH FRIENDS!!!

LocoRon

Reaction score
It depends on whether or not it has any handwriting support. ;)

I recently picked up a used convertible laptop for $500, and while I really like it, I would much rather carry around something much less bulky (and something whose battery isn't shot XD )

If Evernote updates with inking support on Honeycomb devices, I will definitely pick one up. :)

piquat

Reaction score
Count me in the "I don't get it" club.

DroidX is my hand-held PC, if you will.
My Dell lappy is my full size portable.

Do I really need something in between? What would it do for me?

The hand writing thing I didn't know about, I suppose that's one use not covered by the two I already own. Though I have no use for that function.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
These tablets are just larger screen versions of our phones, running the same hardware. I dont understand all the craze for them. Its apparently not a niche device either, with what was it over 18 million ipads sold last year?

Like the poster above me said, my phone is my handheld portable, and my laptop is my much more powerful, much more useful portable device. For the same price as the ipad or xoom or galaxy tab I have a core i5 with nvidia 320m, 4 GB ram, a 500 GB hard drive, and a 15.4 inch screen, not to mention a full keyboard. And the battery can last me just as long!

Diordna

Reaction score
Tablets are amazing, a lot more portable and unlike laptops it has all those apps and awesomeness, and unlike the phones it is a lot bigger and can can be more useful in several ways depending on what you're doing.

My Archos 101 is on it's way and I can't wait. They can be very portable versatile devices, as your phones can too but idk, it's just very awesome.
You'd mostly understand if you actually played with one before, it's just a whole other experience with it, it truly is.
I got a tablet interest sparked in me when I played on an iPad for a minute and was amazed, I played the Reckless Racing game on the iPad which I also have on my phone and it was an amazing experience. Now months later I finally am getting an Archos 101! :)

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an iPad. Suddenly I have great battery life on my D2. Because I don't use it for playing games, gtalking, or anything but phone calls and text while I'm home.

I like the way it syncs with itunes on my Mac. I like everything about it.

I can't speak about Android tablets because I don't know what the battery life is like. I do know that I can find the same apps I've got on my iPad in the Market. Well, most of them anyway. When people with Android devices realize they will need to pay a bit for apps, that will change eventually.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I am not interested but there is absolutely a market.

I have a friend with a dumb phone and an iPad... just gave her laptop to her mom. That iPad does everything that the laptop used to.

debdroid1a

Reaction score
I see a market for it.

If I was in the market for a computer, for me, one to supplement my cell phone, I'd look at tablets first. Android, since I have a Droid all ready and like Android. I bought a netbook before tablets (or iPads) were out. I just wanted something small enough for websurfing, writing, playing games on. I didn't need anything large, even in memory or battery life.

Now that some of these tablets can connect to keyboard (like the Samsung Galaxy tab) I think these would outsell netbooks or small laptops. I thought I'd try the Kindle on my netbook, but it's too much trouble on there. I didn't even read a novel on it. A tablet would be perfect for that, although I use my Droid for reading, web surving, etc., more then my netbook now. So again, if I was in the market for a new computer it would probably be a tablet.

vettesfan

Reaction score
I am not sure if they are all that great yet. But I wanted to know what it would be like so I picked up a nook color off of ebay and am going to put cm7 onto it just to find out if the hype is worth it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
I won an iPad. I like gadgets. I thought with all the hype is was going to be awesome, I can leave the laptop I live and work off of at home. I thought the transition to a tablet from a laptop was going to be like the transition from needing a desktop and a laptop to only a laptop. But it hasn't worked out that way. It just is not a lap top replacement yet. It is a great web device except it doesn't have Flash and does YouTube and Netflix poorly. But I would like some hands on with a Xoom. Maybe I'll find a fanboi who wants to make a trade, but if I am spending Xoom money, it will probably be on a netbook/notbook device.

PolyOlefin

Reaction score
Make no mistake: a tablet is a toy. No one needs an iPad or a XOOM.

People who are willing to pay monthly data plans for a smartphone AND a tablet are either too rich or too stupid... yeah I said it! :D

If you have a smartphone and a PC/laptop, you're set. Don't waste your money unless you have some to burn and you really enjoy tech toys.

Last edited:

lieblax

Reaction score
Make no mistake: a tablet is a toy. No one needs an iPad or a XOOM.

People who are willing to pay monthly data plans for a smartphone AND a tablet are either too rich or too stupid... yeah I said it! :D

If you have a smartphone and a PC/laptop, you're set. Don't waste your money unless you have some to burn and you really enjoy tech toys.

Word. It's like a computer with no disk drives