Is Detheming Really That Much of a Hassle?

Discussion in 'Android Themes' started by Twitch043, Aug 29, 2010.

1. Twitch043

Twitch043 New Member

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/ha...ve-rooted-now-what-n00bs-guide-post-root.html

End of the second post.

Does that mean that every time you wanted to change a theme you'd have to do a full app+data backup and restore once you change? Since it says to basically do a factory reset before you apply the new theme.

I searched for this but couldn't find any relevant results; every asks about APPLYING themes, not removing them. I just wanted to learn all I could before I even start applying any.

Thank you in advance!
  2. Tanknspank

Tanknspank Beta Team Premium Member

There is no way to remove a theme. It replaces the old apps/images so there is no way to get them back. Only option is to reapply the rom or a stock theme specifically for that rom.

Sent from my Droid
  3. Droid DOES!!

Droid DOES!! What iDoesn't Theme Developer Premium Member

It certainly wouldn't hurt but, I've done it before without wiping and had no issues...unless I was switching ROMs altogether. It also couldn't hurt to first flash back to the stock theme before applying the new theme. I make a nandroid backup of the ROM only and another for the theme + ROM regardless though..
  4. Twitch043

Twitch043 New Member

Would that be what an advanced nandroid backup is?

I've never had to use that, I've only done simple ones.

What else can you back up specifically? haha.
  5. Droid DOES!!

Yes. It's really quite simple to do a backup. They backup pretty much everything but the baseband and probably a couple more things. You can use Titanium Backup (free in market) to backup and restore apps and I use SMS Backup & Restore for texts.
  6. Twitch043

Twitch043 New Member

Yeah, I just paid $3.99 for the full Titanium Backup because it looks like a really great and useful app. Currently waiting on the email with the license key. >_<. I'm told I may have to wait overnight, which is depressing.

You don't have to do any wiping before you install a theme, do you? I mean, I've never installed a theme. I'm planning on installing ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning 4.7 ROM and then flashing 928Droid's Black Glass theme over it. Obviously I'll have to wipe my cache and data for the ROM, but once I install the ROM and restore all of my apps back, can I just install the theme?

Sorry, that's a bit off-topic, but while we're here...
  7. Droid DOES!!

I never have but, it couldn't hurt to make a backup of the stock ROM first...in case you don't like the theme. Dave (928Droid) makes AWESOME themes and doesn't disappoint though!!
  8. Droids

Droids New Member

Any properly written theme app should be capable of of first backing up the files it replaces and then giving the user the option of uninstalling and reverting back to stock or whatever previous theme was in use. So far, the so called devs have been lazy in this regard, simply telling people to backup their entire rom before applying a theme. My advice to theme devs, don't bother releasing your smoked glass, or blue, or succulent whatever, unless you incorporate an uninstall option. Your reputations will soon depend on it.
  9. Droid DOES!!

Yeah but its not a big deal...especially since they don't charge us for what they do for us. As far as their "reputation" goes, what they do (again, for FREE) for the Forum community is more than enough for me to be thankful for their work! Do you theme?
  10. UltraDroid

UltraDroid DF Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with DroidDoes - the developers are providing a FREE service, and they make the common sense observation to the end user that it is their responsibility (because it is *their* phone) to back up their system before trying any kind of modifications. If you're not comfortable with that warning/disclaimer, then don't install the theme.

-Mike
  11. forkup

forkup New Member

Removing a theme is simple, wipe the system partition only then reinstall the original non themed rom. You won't lose anything nor have to reinstall any apps or data.