Is Class 10 micro sdhc worth it in Droid X?

0reo

Reaction score
I can tell you from experience that not all class 10 SDHC cards are created equal.
Thank you for your reply MNTNBKR. This is exactly why we need more information on the subject. It seems entirely inadequate to say that all cards of a particular size, or class do not work in the droid X without some further technical explanation of why that is. An explanation as yet not given, anywhere, that I can find.

Anyone try the Lexar 32gb C10?

Snow02

Reaction score
It doesn't apply to phones. A camcorder acceses one file at a time. Class 10 cards are great for this, even though high sequential throughput comes at the cost of random throughput, and indeed this makes sense as recording resolutions have increased, and random performance is inconsequential in this usage scenario.

For a phone, the problem is with operations such as cataloging large music libraries. The optimizations for sequential throughput make random operations like this extremely slow. So slow in fact, the phone will become unresponsive. Now, if you plan on only putting a small number of very large files on the card, a class 10 would be fine, but that is far from the typical usage scenario for an sd card in a phone.

Clear?

Snow02

Reaction score
And if you need an analogy:

Class 10 is a drag car while Class 4 is a road racer.

Class 10 can run in a straight line extremely fast, just don't ask it to make a turn - where turning is akin to accessing another file.

0reo

Reaction score
OK Fantastic. Thank you for that explanation. That does help.

And I assume that a C4 is an advantage over a C2 only as a matter of balancing the advantage of fast sequential with the loss in random access? Would that be correct?

Further, would you say the Sandisk 32gb C4 is an optimal card for the Droid X?

0reo

Reaction score
Alright Snow02... your reputation is on the line my friend. I just ordered two of those cards (from a Sandisk authorized reseller.) If you've lead me astray I will reach right through this computer screen and e-slap you silly. ;) (kidding of course. mostly.)

Snow02

Reaction score
I'm not worried. I just saved you some hassle by not having to return those class 10s you were trying to order instead.

jhelp32

Reaction score
class 6 ???

any thoughts on class 6? or is it class 4 all the way?

snow02, looking for your input. many thanks to your explanations in this thread. unfortunately, i found this too late. i purchased a class 10 32gb card, and as mentioned here, it gave my phone (and me) fits. i'm going to return it. anyway, i've heard that class 6 is optimal. but i value your opinion, as you seem to be extremely knowledgeable in this thread. of course i will wait to hear back before making my final decision on purchasing a 32gb class 4 or 6 replacement.

again, many thanks! can't wait to hear your thoughts...

Snow02

Reaction score
A class 6 may work ok, but look at it this way. The main advantage of a higher class rated card is for write performance. The higher class cards are necessary for dslr and hd camcorders.

For a phone, the only operation that might require a certain sequential write speed is video recording. How large of a file does your phone create with one minute of video? If it's less than 240 MB, get the class 4. For example, my droid x uses about 75 MB per minute of 720p video. Well within class 4 write speed.

The perception of speed though, for the most part, is going to be in random operation. Ie, how fast does the image gallery load a bunch of pictures, how fast does the file browser populate, etc. Those are random read operations. As stated, the higher the class rating, the slower the random performance.

tl;dr Get the class 4.

Kraghack

Reaction score
Thanks Snow02 and the rest of this thread, you've resolved a major struggle I've been having with my DX and video recording. Class 4, here I come!

jrshelton13

Reaction score
Just to throw my meager two cents in, I bought a Komputerbay 32gb c6 a few months ago (got a great deal in amazon) worked great in my X and is working great in my Bionic. All the reviews said it was a good piece of gear and for under $50 to the door I had to give it a try.

If anyone is still considering, hope this helps!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Snow02

Reaction score
Just to throw my meager two cents in, I bought a Komputerbay 32gb c6 a few months ago (got a great deal in amazon) worked great in my X and is working great in my Bionic. All the reviews said it was a good piece of gear and for under $50 to the door I had to give it a try.

If anyone is still considering, hope this helps!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Newegg and amazon also have SanDisk 32GB class 4 cards for $50. That would be my recommendation.

Leung

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread about Class10 microSD cards but i just bought one that is sold by MicroCenter. It's only an 8gig card and i mainly bought it because my 4gig one feels like it's dying. So after reading everything in this thread, I won't benefit from anything besides the increase in storage space? It was only a dollar more (9.99) than a regular 8gig card (8.99)but i am unsure what class it is rated.

I occassionally take pictures and make movies like when i'm at the Bengal's games or i'm downloading game apps. I never listen to music on here as i have an Ipod Touch for that.

Leung

Reaction score
well either way i put that class 10 card in my phone. I bought that card mainly because of the bump in storage space no for speed or anything but either way it was only a buck more for the class 10 over the class 6 card.