1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Is BB v1.0 worth it and how do I switch from CM 5062?

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Samurai26, May 25, 2010.

1. Samurai26

Samurai26 New Member

Ok, title pretty much says it all-

I'm coming from hot, slow but EXTREMELY STABLE CM 5062, I want a faster, cooler rom, which is BB, but I'm worried about the recent instability issues...

I'm not really bothered about losing the extra features that come with CM, so that's a non-issue

So is reflashing for BB v1.0 worth it? (I need some good advise! lol)

If it is worth it, how do I switch from CM to BB? (I've never switched roms before...)

Any positive advise is more than welcome!!!!!
  2. metiCkOne

metiCkOne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
    My advice to you, if you havent already decided, would be to upgrade to CM 5.0.7. I had tons of problems with BBV1. I like Petes work but I can't run his roms. For the past two months I've been running CM and my own modded stock rom. People love BB but I'm skeptical about stability. I've never been able to run it for more than two days.
  3. Dave12308

Dave12308 New Member

Samurai26, you find Cyanogenmod 5.0.6.2 SLOW? Properly set up, it tends to be one of the fastest ROMs out there; IMHO. I've actually been running it since the day it was released, something I cannot say for very many ROMs. I only swapped ROMs today (to CM 5.0.7; of course).

The one killer feature I simply cannot live with out is Apps2SD, and CM has a rock-solid implementation. If the official version in Android 2.2 is as good, i'll be very happy.

I'd love to give Pete's ROM a shot, but the one thing I cannot live without is Apps2SD; the amount of apps I have installed right now is around 100MB more in size than the Droid's total App storage memory.
  4. Samurai26

Samurai26 New Member

Well, now I have overclocked CM to 800gHz and its much faster, but the heat is still a major issue... Like right now I'm surfing on my phone and its uncomfortably hot (like 115-120 degrees farenheit), what can I do to keep it cool?
    Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. Samurai26

Samurai26 New Member

Nothing? Anybody? lol
  6. cj1896

cj1896 New Member

I have used both and personally find the latest BB release to be MUCH faster. It just seems to run smoother with much more free memory available at all times. Not bashing CM and I haven't tried 5.0.7 yet so I can't say how it compares but I had improved performance with BB over 5.0.6.2.
  7. xazniboix

xazniboix New Member

+1, I've seen never before seen low temperatures on my Droid with Pete's BB v1.
  8. cj1896

cj1896 New Member

Oh and to switch I would just use ROM manager it will be the easiest way to go back and forth. Also, I suggest getting titanium backup so that you can restore all of your apps after a clean wipe.
  9. Samurai26

Samurai26 New Member

Xazniboix- "+1, I've seen never before seen low temperatures on my Droid with Pete's BB v1."

What? I don't get what u said
  10. iamthewalrus

iamthewalrus New Member

I just switched to BB from jrum 5.062. First let me say i didnt have any issues with jrum, just wanted to try out something different. BB is very fast and smooth. O'clocked to 900. Usually hovers around 95 degrees when i surf for extended periods.
  11. Samurai26

Samurai26 New Member

I know its fast/cool and all of that... But its not very stable, as compared to CM which is unbelievably so!
  12. JhankG

JhankG New Member

I'm using CM 5.0.7.1. I currently have over 100 MB of free memory and am idling at around 20 Celsius. No force closes, reboots, or laggy homescreens (I use a themed version of LancherPro) to speak of. Many times, stability (or instability) is directly related to your kernel and the cpu speed. You just have to mix and match kernels and speeds until you find the best combination for your phone.
  13. Samurai26

Samurai26 New Member

Oooo, while if got a CM 507 person here:

Is CM 507 cooler than 5062? Because that would solve my problem, and I wouldn't have to switch to BB
  14. xazniboix

xazniboix New Member

I was talking about the temperatures that are displayed by SetCPU and Battery left widget. I'm consistently getting 68 degrees Fahrenheit at idle and light to moderate usage as opposed to other ROMs that I have tried, where my average temperature was around 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit at idle and light usage. BB v1 seems stable to me and I haven't seen any f/c's nor boot loops. But then again, every Droid is different so your results may be different from mine.
  15. gszeman

gszeman New Member

You're talking about bb1.0 not being very stable? o_O I've had one FC (caused by an app I modified incorrectly) since I installed it! I installed it the day it came out. Not downplaying CM, cause it's a great ROM...but BB has been extremely stable for me.
  16. iamthewalrus

iamthewalrus New Member

Last night when i would open youtube on BB i got into this weird google login loop, and it wouldnt let me use youtube. switched back to jrum 5062. Think im gonna try cyan 507 tonight.
  17. brando56894

brando56894 New Member

Ive been using BBv1 ever since pete released it and havent really had any problems with it, and if I did it was usually my own fault. I'm running at 77F idle on a 1.2 GHz kernel (currently at 800 MHz).

I think I'm going to switch to CM 5.0.7 for the time being and check it out.
  18. metiCkOne

metiCkOne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Portland, OR/Boston, MA <-- Born N' Raised
    Hey guys, I just thought you should know that CM is on 5.0.7.1, there were some problems with 5.0.7 and I expect that there will be some more updates getting pushed out soon. On a side not I tried BBV1.1 last night and got nothing but reboots and fc's on 800mhz. I first tried 1200mhz and got reboots. I realized it was because BB throttles it to the max automatically. After realizing this I downgraded the kernel and it still happened.
  19. droid_maine

droid_maine New Member

Well, I am one of many who change ROMs like they are going out of style... and we all know that BB and CM are among the most revered releases out. (Note I said most revered, not best... there are lost of great ROMs out there besides either of these)

Anyway, I decided this morning to try the latest BB V1.1, and I must say that so far it seems pretty solid. I am running the LV 600 MHz stock Bekit, and it still feels really smooth and snappy.

I have only been testing this for a day so it is hard to make a full judgment on stability, but so far I have also had only one FC issue, and it was also after I messed it up tweaking... (Lets just say I had a dumb moment, LOL). I put things back and have been running great since.

I have been using it for about 12 hours since charging (including about 2 hours of calls, some web browsing, twitter, e-mail, a 20 minute download to my laptop through tethering, and loads of texting) and my battery is still at 30%... Not bad considering what I put it through today. :) And for me it is running real cool too. Never abouve 104 F, even while tethering and DL a 80 MB file.
  20. Riddick

Riddick New Member

BB is pretty stable, it's a relatively basic rom. Those problems that some of you are describing sound like you didn't wipe the phone first before installing it, you used an incompatible kernel, or you tried to restore settings using Titanium and it carried over data from another rom.

However I wouldn't recommend going with BB. It's getting pretty obsolete since Pete doesn't update nearly as much as he used to. Upgrade to the latest version of CM first before deciding on whether or not you still want to switch roms.