Is anyone the tiniest bit jealous of the iPhone 4s?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by rwking, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. elvis_marmaduke

Ratings:
    +0
    The ONLY thing I'm jealous of is the gpu :/ i was really hoping the prime would be up there with it

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

2. droid2drummer

droid2drummer Silver Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Whatch out for verizons early upgrade special..I just got offered 150 and upgrade to 4g....I've been on D2 since day one of release..so..if you guys have as well been about the same amount of time...it ends in dec....peace!

You juss been TAPPED! by the drummer
    LIQUID 3.0 or Anything but Stock!!!!
    <><>-------------------PEACE---------------------<><>

3. emagic103

emagic103 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've been with Android since the OG Droid. I've played with Iphones before and while I'm not a fan of the icon filled home screens- they do many things right. One thing that sticks out in particular is the OS itself and how well it renders. Android needs to get serious about hardware acceleration for the OS. I'd love to have an Android device with all the widgets such that ran at a silky smooth frame rate all the time.

4. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Yeah CNET and Engadget both say ics still lags...one thing that Android can't seem to solve

5. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    This is very true. The supercharger script eliminated almost all the lag i had on my d1, with just very minimal lag every once in a while. Let's hope Google gets some more tweaks in there before release.

6. flamepanther

flamepanther Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That script has improved my Droid's performance dramatically in most circumstances (it seems to adversely affect Opera) but I can still cause it to lag sometimes. This is going to be an issue on ANY mobile device with more than the most minimal degree of multitasking. This is especially inevitable when you look at how many Android apps want to run a background service. Having barely minimal multitasking, it is not surprising if iOS lags less frequently. Whether that's a good trade is open to question.

I suspect that Google mostly leaves memory optimization tweaking up to manufacturers and carriers--which these then proceed to not do. You can only get so far with generic universal settings.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

7. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I think Google should somehow bake the memory optimization into the OS though, but yeah it'll never happen. The supercharger script doesn't eliminate all lag, for the reasons you've stated, but it definitely improves performance. I haven't played with an ICS device yet obviously to know how bad it is, but lag is something I've come to expect from Android, and its not a make or break thing for me.

8. flamepanther

flamepanther Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The effectiveness of the supercharger-- which merely changes some settings in Android's built-in memory management-- proves the effectiveness of their method. It is already baked in. However, the settings must be appropriate to the specific device. If manufacturers and carriers paid some attention to that instead of UI tweaks and useless bundled apps, we would be in much better shape. I think that's a lot less to ask for than rewriting the entire memory management scheme to figure out its own settings--which I suspect would be less effective anyway.

9. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +319
    Could it simply be due to the fact that iOS has the ability to be built with a single piece of hardware in mind, while Android has a TON of different devices and therefore can't integrate it near as much?

10. flamepanther

flamepanther Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That's part of it (manufacturers could correct for this if they cared to). The fact that Apple intentionally cripples multitasking is another. This issue is one of the very reasons they limit multitasking in the first place.

11. alboboy10

alboboy10 Senior Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I really think so as well...they can remove lag entirely if they want to bit for some reason they don't.

Android developers in my opinion are better than apple developers. Apple has better designers perhaps. But the galaxy 2 for example is extremely smooth...the browser is as smooth as the iPhone or smoother! I didn't believe it when I read it online from phone reviewers but I tested it myself and it's true. Too bad the networks it's on sucks.

The one thing I admire about apple is it puts good phones out every time. No rushed phone. In that sense they're better than Android.

12. czerdrill

czerdrill Silver Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I don't know. The Galaxy Nexus is a stock device, and it still lags (according to the first impressions of course), so I think its moreso something on Google's end then manufacturers. Google and Samsung supposedly worked hand in hand on this device, so its not like Samsung just did their own thing. Memory management is more important IMO than fancy animations and gimmicky things. But everyone has different priorities of course. I'd rather have a lag-free device minus some fancy stuff, then a device that has all this great stuff on paper but doesn't perform.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.