Is anyone the tiniest bit jealous of the iPhone 4s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolpns13

Reaction score
I was considering switching from android to iphone and then thought twice. You can do so much more with droid than iphone. IMO for starters, tether, navigation, and better customization on androids far outweigh the iphone

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
I was considering switching from android to iphone and then thought twice. You can do so much more with droid than iphone. IMO for starters, tether, navigation, and better customization on androids far outweigh the iphone

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

yeah for me it's the level of customization that keeps me with Android. I bought the D1 on VZW because at the time they didn't have the iPhone but I am very glad they didn't. The D1 has turned me into a phone nerd, haha. Now I have moved on to the Nexus and while I think the iPhone is a great phone, I have no desire to switch to one.

Insidious

Reaction score
yeah for me it's the level of customization that keeps me with Android. I bought the D1 on VZW because at the time they didn't have the iPhone but I am very glad they didn't. The D1 has turned me into a phone nerd, haha. Now I have moved on to the Nexus and while I think the iPhone is a great phone, I have no desire to switch to one.

I can't agree more.

Sent from my Cellular telecommunications device, manufactured by Motorola.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Couldn't agree more. All technology has its merits and detriments. It's the nature of the beast. But this is a technological ecosystem where both the iPhone and Android NEED to live. They will thrive off one another and will push each other to greater developments. If one were to go away, the development of the surviving would slow.

It's true that Apple needs Android, just like Android needs Apple, but Apple has been bringing a lot of heat on itself by suing manufacturers that are making Android devices and abusing the patent court system to get patents for things like sliding to unlock. This stifles all development.

They should focus on advancement and new ideas, not try to crush competition through legal battles.

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Yeah, I would like to see the lawsuits drop back. I do think they are doing some significant development work behind the scenes but hate seeing all of the patent lawsuits. It sucks that the corporate business world has turned to this kind of game so much lately.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is no lawsuit being filed. They are applying for a patent for something they were working on in 2009. Where in the article does it say there is a lawsuit?

There's no lawsuit. The patent application was just disclosed today, but was applied for in 2010 according to Engadget.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just misspoke, meant to say it was brought to public that they had filed for the patent. I think we can all agree this is just their first step towards getting themselves ready to sue Android for using face unlock on ICS.

Not to mention I used a version of face unlock on my laptop nearly 3 years ago, obviously before Apple applied for their patent.

Last edited:

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I just misspoke, meant to say they were filing for the patent. Still this is obviously their first move into suing Android for using face unlock with ICS. If anyone say's it isn't you haven't been paying attention to their lawsuits as of late.

Again, the patent was applied for in 2010. So unless they had a premonition that Google would include this in ICS and decided to sue them when they do, what you're saying is invalid. Now...whether or not they are granted the patent and then sue Google is a different story.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I was using face unlock on my laptop in 2008. You can defend Apple's business practices if you want, but they've proven that they want to stifle competition by abusing the patent system.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree. Based on how the iphone is constructed, it most probably will crack easier then other phones, I was just responding to the guy who made it seem like if you drop it once it will shatter into a million pieces and is rendered useless. It's not the case. If there was such a widespread problem with cracked iphones everytime someone drops it "the wrong way", we'd be hearing far more about it then just the anecdotal stuff we read on forums (like AntennaGate). Also, any phone that you drop "the wrong way" will shatter.

This I agree with completely. It doesn't break that easily, that'd definitely be reported so much more and apple would not be the product it is today.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I was using face unlock on my laptop in 2008. You can defend Apple's business pratices if you want, but they've proven that they want to stifle competition by abusing the patent system.

You're missing the point. I'm not defending their practices. I was correcting your mistake, that's it. The patent was applied for in 2010. So, like I said, unless they have psychics working for them at Apple, this was not some pre-emptive strike on Google. Secondly, it was an application. Meaning it hasn't been granted, and yes facial unlock/recognition has been around forever so it most probably will not be granted. No need to go ballistic about Apple because you misunderstood what you were reading. This patent application has nothing to do with Google, ICS or Face Unlock.

Status
Not open for further replies.