Is anyone the tiniest bit jealous of the iPhone 4s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
That script has improved my Droid's performance dramatically in most circumstances (it seems to adversely affect Opera) but I can still cause it to lag sometimes. This is going to be an issue on ANY mobile device with more than the most minimal degree of multitasking. This is especially inevitable when you look at how many Android apps want to run a background service. Having barely minimal multitasking, it is not surprising if iOS lags less frequently. Whether that's a good trade is open to question.

I suspect that Google mostly leaves memory optimization tweaking up to manufacturers and carriers--which these then proceed to not do. You can only get so far with generic universal settings.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think Google should somehow bake the memory optimization into the OS though, but yeah it'll never happen. The supercharger script doesn't eliminate all lag, for the reasons you've stated, but it definitely improves performance. I haven't played with an ICS device yet obviously to know how bad it is, but lag is something I've come to expect from Android, and its not a make or break thing for me.

flamepanther

Reaction score
I think Google should somehow bake the memory optimization into the OS though, but yeah it'll never happen. The supercharger script doesn't eliminate all lag, for the reasons you've stated, but it definitely improves performance. I haven't played with an ICS device yet obviously to know how bad it is, but lag is something I've come to expect from Android, and its not a make or break thing for me.

The effectiveness of the supercharger-- which merely changes some settings in Android's built-in memory management-- proves the effectiveness of their method. It is already baked in. However, the settings must be appropriate to the specific device. If manufacturers and carriers paid some attention to that instead of UI tweaks and useless bundled apps, we would be in much better shape. I think that's a lot less to ask for than rewriting the entire memory management scheme to figure out its own settings--which I suspect would be less effective anyway.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Could it simply be due to the fact that iOS has the ability to be built with a single piece of hardware in mind, while Android has a TON of different devices and therefore can't integrate it near as much?

flamepanther

Reaction score
Could it simply be due to the fact that iOS has the ability to be built with a single piece of hardware in mind, while Android has a TON of different devices and therefore can't integrate it near as much?

That's part of it (manufacturers could correct for this if they cared to). The fact that Apple intentionally cripples multitasking is another. This issue is one of the very reasons they limit multitasking in the first place.

alboboy10

Reaction score
They could, but for whatever reason unknown to me don't. Considering that scripts like V6 Supercharger, etc are able to enable phones to run so smoothy and aren't even an integral part of the operating system it seems that this is an issue that could be fixed. Granted, there's always the possibility that this changes with the Nexus and other phones that aren't loaded down by the carriers with unnecessary processes; time will tell.

I really think so as well...they can remove lag entirely if they want to bit for some reason they don't.

Android developers in my opinion are better than apple developers. Apple has better designers perhaps. But the galaxy 2 for example is extremely smooth...the browser is as smooth as the iPhone or smoother! I didn't believe it when I read it online from phone reviewers but I tested it myself and it's true. Too bad the networks it's on sucks.

The one thing I admire about apple is it puts good phones out every time. No rushed phone. In that sense they're better than Android.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
The effectiveness of the supercharger-- which merely changes some settings in Android's built-in memory management-- proves the effectiveness of their method. It is already baked in. However, the settings must be appropriate to the specific device. If manufacturers and carriers paid some attention to that instead of UI tweaks and useless bundled apps, we would be in much better shape. I think that's a lot less to ask for than rewriting the entire memory management scheme to figure out its own settings--which I suspect would be less effective anyway.

I don't know. The Galaxy Nexus is a stock device, and it still lags (according to the first impressions of course), so I think its moreso something on Google's end then manufacturers. Google and Samsung supposedly worked hand in hand on this device, so its not like Samsung just did their own thing. Memory management is more important IMO than fancy animations and gimmicky things. But everyone has different priorities of course. I'd rather have a lag-free device minus some fancy stuff, then a device that has all this great stuff on paper but doesn't perform.

huskur

Reaction score
I don't know. The Galaxy Nexus is a stock device, and it still lags (according to the first impressions of course), so I think its moreso something on Google's end then manufacturers. Google and Samsung supposedly worked hand in hand on this device, so its not like Samsung just did their own thing. Memory management is more important IMO than fancy animations and gimmicky things. But everyone has different priorities of course. I'd rather have a lag-free device minus some fancy stuff, then a device that has all this great stuff on paper but doesn't perform.

I love your last sentence. That is me to the core. Make a device and make it work well. Android is maturing much to fast. That is the reason i made the switch to iOS and the iphone. Once android makes a device that is as "dependable" and as solid as what apple has done i don't think i can change.

alboboy10

Reaction score
I wouldn't make the change to apple just because of the way they conduct business. And to be honest the galaxy nexus is not laggy. It handles big pages better than the iPhone on the browser. Plus its pushing higher resolution, a bigger screen and opens flash content as well.

Google also has better integration with their apps like Gmail and maps. Something apple will never have and something I need.

Not to mention the iPhone has that tiny ridiculous screen. Its nearly pointless for videos. My friends try showing me YouTube videos they have to put their phone a foot from my face. Me on the other hand, I can play videos and people sitting in the backseat of a car can watch it.

Both phones have advantages...but at the end of the day I love Google and dislike apple.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Iphone doesn't "lag" because it's never trying to do anything but one thing at a time, unlike an android device which is doing multiple things at a time. It's like comparing an Xbox to a Computer, one does one thing extremely well, the other does many things at the same time very well.

My wife has the 4s and it's UI is super smooth but you can't do anything but click on one app at a time, while my Nexus is still super smooth and I can do half a dozen things at the same time.

Show an iphone user widgets, 4g, the larger screen and multi-tasking and they'll be blown away. They just don't know what they're missing because they're stuck in an ecosystem.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I live in a household with 3 others 4s, I am not the least bit jealous. If there is anything I can praise on the device against the Nexus is the camera, and even the Nexus no shutterlag I'll take over quality.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Iphone doesn't "lag" because it's never trying to do anything but one thing at a time, unlike an android device which is doing multiple things at a time. It's like comparing an Xbox to a Computer, one does one thing extremely well, the other does many things at the same time very well.

My wife has the 4s and it's UI is super smooth but you can't do anything but click on one app at a time, while my Nexus is still super smooth and I can do half a dozen things at the same time.

Show an iphone user widgets, 4g, the larger screen and multi-tasking and they'll be blown away. They just don't know what they're missing because they're stuck in an ecosystem.

these are more unsubstantiated statements. couldn't the iphone user know about widgets, 4g, larger screen and multi tasking and just choose the iphone regardless? you're acting as if android is a niche os. everyone knows about android, so the "they just don't know" argument doesn't make sense.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
these are more unsubstantiated statements. couldn't the iphone user know about widgets, 4g, larger screen and multi tasking and just choose the iphone regardless? you're acting as if android is a niche os. everyone knows about android, so the "they just don't know" argument doesn't make sense.

So it's unsubstantiated for me to say they aren't fully aware, but it isn't for you to say they are aware?

I see a flaw in your theory.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
So it's unsubstantiated for me to say they aren't fully aware, but it isn't for you to say they are aware?

I see a flaw in your theory.

so you're going to stick with iphone users just don't know? i think logic is the flaw in your theory...

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
so you're going to stick with iphone users just don't know? i think logic is the flaw in your theory...

All I'm saying is if you show Iphone users what they're missing out on many would be very impressed.

I would even go so far as to say a majority of them aren't even aware of the benefits of Android and maybe they choose not to become aware, which is fine.

I've witnessed many of my friends who have the Iphone 4 or 4s that are very jealous of the Nexus' larger screen, widgets and 4g speeds. Some of them even said they'd be willing to switch for those benefits but many of them still choose the Iphone because as I said before, they've expressed to me that they feel they're stuck in the ecosystem, they're afraid to venture too far from what they've become accustom to which is only natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.