Is anyone the tiniest bit jealous of the iPhone 4s?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Forum' started by rwking, Oct 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jstrickland1216

jstrickland1216 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
  2. rwking

rwking Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Dude... watch the demo video. You can't wake your phone and say "Do I need an umbrella today?" and have it answer you. You can't say "Remind me to call my wife when I leave work" and have it set up a geofence around your office so that you get reminded when you leave. Android voice commands are nowhere near the power of this app.

3. DVR6

DVR6 Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Keep in mind siri was in a controlled (demonstration) environment and you can bet they knew programatically exactly what to ask it and how. It looked impressive in the controlled environment. We'll see in real world use.

Also the android voice features work pretty darn good but I tend not to use them because I want privacy in public. I dont want to be talking to my phone in restraunts, around colleages, at work, in meetings, etc. In other words it's neat but limited for actual real world situations.

The rest of the features are already available in android and no 4g, just theoretical enhance 3g. Again we'll see in real world use. Cloud = google and dropbox, or any number of other services.

I'm glad I went with the Bionic.

4. Liderc

Liderc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +45
    I'm floored that they went this route. Simply doing a 4S is disastrous and simply shows they have no clue what people actually want, they just have their customers by the crotch and don't care. The same tiny screen, still no 4G, it's a complete disaster. The only thing that's going to be impressive is the camera and that's a bit sad for a phone.

5. Byakushiki

Byakushiki Member

Ratings:
    +3
    No, as long as they don't support .flac playback natively, just no. Even then, I'm too used to the way we can customize our android devices.

6. rwking

rwking Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I think more than anything, this was a strategic release, not meant to be a huge wow factor. I think the Siri and Camera features are meant to change the way you used to be able to use iPhones, but more than anything, I think the change in pricing structure and the fact that they will still offer the iPhone 3G, 4, and now 4s is really meant to capture market share more than anything. I think this release was an EXTREMELY smart move. Think about it - the hurdle for most people in getting a smart phone is the price. Now there is a $99 iPhone. Just being an iPhone has a certain appeal to people (status, mainstream, whatever), but now there is a cheap iPhone that gets people accustomed to it. Next year, when a 4G iPhone 5 comes out, they're going to have already sold something like 100 million iPhone 4Ss and a slew more of the 3G and 4. This means more people moving to Apple products and even more people anticipating the inevitable iPhone 5. This was definitely not a disastrous move.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  7. wicked

wicked DF Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,594
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6P
    Twitter:
    @MikeAlvez
    To answer the OP's question:

[​IMG]

8. Zregnier

Zregnier Member

Ratings:
    +7
    512 mb ram, same small screen, and no 4G? What a freaking joke of an announcement if you ask me. I'd take my OG Droid too!

9. rwking

rwking Member

Ratings:
    +1
    wahahaha! I LOLed. :)

10. PereDroid

PereDroid Platinum Member

Ratings:
    +2,038
    Current Phone Model:
    Moto Turbo 2
    Siri does look REALLY cool. We are entering the Star Trek age where we can ask our devices just about anything and it can reply.

But it isn't cool enough to make me dump Android. ;)

11. Nyteravyn

Nyteravyn Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Root baby root, lol I took the plunge and trod my first room in style, haha
    Long live the fighters!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

12. mandragora

mandragora Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My Wife has an I phone 4. I have a Bionic (She is starting to get jealous over time :) ). I don't see anything that would cause her to upgrade it. Siri looked interesting but the IPhone 4 is pretty fast without the dual processor. The camera may be a little nicer but the screen is still small. If I understand it properly the internet speed is faster but only on AT&T, not Verizon. I can't see this selling as much as has been publicized (However, this was not the IPHONE 5 either.) If the Iphone 5 with 4G doesn't come out now till June Apple is going to be seriously behind, especially with Quad core 4G phones coming out all over the place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.