Is anyone the tiniest bit jealous of the iPhone 4s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm floored that they went this route. Simply doing a 4S is disastrous and simply shows they have no clue what people actually want, they just have their customers by the crotch and don't care. The same tiny screen, still no 4G, it's a complete disaster. The only thing that's going to be impressive is the camera and that's a bit sad for a phone.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
No, as long as they don't support .flac playback natively, just no. Even then, I'm too used to the way we can customize our android devices.

OP
rwking

rwking

Reaction score
I'm floored that they went this route. Simply doing a 4S is disastrous and simply shows they have no clue what people actually want, they just have their customers by the crotch and don't care. The same tiny screen, still no 4G, it's a complete disaster. The only thing that's going to be impressive is the camera and that's a bit sad for a phone.

I think more than anything, this was a strategic release, not meant to be a huge wow factor. I think the Siri and Camera features are meant to change the way you used to be able to use iPhones, but more than anything, I think the change in pricing structure and the fact that they will still offer the iPhone 3G, 4, and now 4s is really meant to capture market share more than anything. I think this release was an EXTREMELY smart move. Think about it - the hurdle for most people in getting a smart phone is the price. Now there is a $99 iPhone. Just being an iPhone has a certain appeal to people (status, mainstream, whatever), but now there is a cheap iPhone that gets people accustomed to it. Next year, when a 4G iPhone 5 comes out, they're going to have already sold something like 100 million iPhone 4Ss and a slew more of the 3G and 4. This means more people moving to Apple products and even more people anticipating the inevitable iPhone 5. This was definitely not a disastrous move.

Last edited:

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
To answer the OP's question:

QsV3m.png

Zregnier

Reaction score
512 mb ram, same small screen, and no 4G? What a freaking joke of an announcement if you ask me. I'd take my OG Droid too!

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Siri does look REALLY cool. We are entering the Star Trek age where we can ask our devices just about anything and it can reply.

But it isn't cool enough to make me dump Android. ;)

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
Root baby root, lol I took the plunge and trod my first room in style, haha
Long live the fighters!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

mandragora

Reaction score
My Wife has an I phone 4. I have a Bionic (She is starting to get jealous over time :) ). I don't see anything that would cause her to upgrade it. Siri looked interesting but the IPhone 4 is pretty fast without the dual processor. The camera may be a little nicer but the screen is still small. If I understand it properly the internet speed is faster but only on AT&T, not Verizon. I can't see this selling as much as has been publicized (However, this was not the IPHONE 5 either.) If the Iphone 5 with 4G doesn't come out now till June Apple is going to be seriously behind, especially with Quad core 4G phones coming out all over the place.

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
No...

The iPhone 4S is just a upped version of the iPhone 4. The specs IMO are no different from my Droid Bionic and the features of iOS5 is stuff android already has.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I think more than anything, this was a strategic release, not meant to be a huge wow factor. I think the Siri and Camera features are meant to change the way you used to be able to use iPhones, but more than anything, I think the change in pricing structure and the fact that they will still offer the iPhone 3G, 4, and now 4s is really meant to capture market share more than anything. I think this release was an EXTREMELY smart move. Think about it - the hurdle for most people in getting a smart phone is the price. Now there is a $99 iPhone. Just being an iPhone has a certain appeal to people (status, mainstream, whatever), but now there is a cheap iPhone that gets people accustomed to it. Next year, when a 4G iPhone 5 comes out, they're going to have already sold something like 100 million iPhone 4Ss and a slew more of the 3G and 4. This means more people moving to Apple products and even more people anticipating the inevitable iPhone 5. This was definitely not a disastrous move.

This doesn't make any sense. They could release a new phone that's actually a worthy upgrade and still lower the price of the old phones, just as they always have. Your point is that they did this so they could lower the price of the other phones to gain more customers? lol k.

bgrubb7

Reaction score
I held off on the Bionic, partly due to the Pentile Screen, but mostly due to the fact that I wanted to see what Apple had in store for the iPhone5.

First off, I want to say that I have been an Apple fanboy for years and am actually a big fan of their products. I love OSX, and have always been a huge fan of the computing hardware. However, being a longtime Verizon customer I went with the Droid since their was no iPhone option at the time. I have since grown to appreciate the openness of Android and all of its capabilities. However I have always been disappointed with the bugginess and many times slugishness of an otherwise amazing mobile device. TODAY was Apple's chance to get me over to an iPhone. So far they have FAILED.

The Good:
• The Price. Lot's of price options to fit in anyone's budget. I do know that my Wife will end up with a 4S, and I am glad there is a $199 option for her as she's not a heavy media user and 16GB will be more than enough.
• Siri. Yes, Android was first to the voice recognition dance, but frankly I have never had much luck with mine actually being useful. The dictation is always spotty and usually my attempt at voice driven Google searches end up as failure. This is one area where I think Apple will get right what Google has been trying to pull off.
• Improved Camera. Yes, I know that the Bionic also offers a 8MP camera and HD video, but I will bet that the picture quality of the iPhone will blow the Bionic out of the water. Apple usually gets things like this right.

The Bad:
• No 4G. I don't actually live in a 4G area, but I am in 4G areas most weekends. Lately I have noticed that my OG Droid is basically worthless on 3G, when I am in a 4G area. Not sure why, but I had already made 4G a requirement for my next phone.
• Same old iPhone4 exterior. I mean who makes a phone with a glass back anyways? Way too fragile, and with no Gorilla Glass, you're basically guaranteed to crack your screen the first time you drop it.
• Same small screen. I know its a phone and not a tablet... but hey... Size matters and I don't want to end up with screen envy, do I?
• No Free Navigation. Google Nav is something I can't live without. I certainly don't plan on spending any additional money on a pricey paid app or service to have the same function on an iPhone.

As of right now, the Samsung Prime seems like it will be my NEXT phone... All of the leaked specs appear to put it at everything I was hoping the iPhone 5 would be... I certainly am not going to wait another 6 months to a year for the iPhone 5 to be realized. Apple you had your chance to get me over on your team, but you have FAILED.

OP
rwking

rwking

Reaction score
One really nice aspect of the iPhone is the fact that it RARELY has issues like Force Close, Low Memory notifications, and random reboots. I wish Android could get a little bit more stable in those respects.

OP
rwking

rwking

Reaction score
This doesn't make any sense. They could release a new phone that's actually a worthy upgrade and still lower the price of the old phones, just as they always have. Your point is that they did this so they could lower the price of the other phones to gain more customers? lol k.

Uh yeah. Absolutely. If they don't have a 4G phone, why drop any of their old 3G phones? Doesn't make sense. Pricing strategy is a really important way to gain market share. Seriously, I have no doubt that's what this was all about.

*Addition* And if you think about it, had this been the blockbuster 4G iPhone that was rumored, do you think they would keep the iPhone 3G? Heck to the no! They'd focus on the more expensive, more sought after, and more profitable 4G model, especially since that's the general direction of the industry right now.

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the GS2 came with similar voice command features. Samsung partnered with Vlingo.

Status
Not open for further replies.