Is Anyone Happy with Froyo 2.2?

Scott1974

Reaction score
I am currently running the stock version of 2.1 - all updates have been OTA to this point and the phone is up-to-date, minus the "upgrade" to 2.2. I have been holding off on making this change as I've only read negative things about the update.

- Poor Battery Life
- 3G Reliability
- Etc.

Is there anyone that has made the OTA Upgrade to 2.2 and is happy about it? Have you noticed a decrease in your battery life? I charge my phone about once every 48 hours now and usually have 20% or more remaining when I chage. Is this going to be a mistake? I was hoping that 2.2 would help with signal strength, stop the phone from freezing, faster browsing, etc.

Vmax

Reaction score
I haven't had any issues with 2.2. Initially I had the battery life issues, but I did the pull the battery and *228 thing and my battery acts the same as it was before the update. I have noticed some nice refinements to the phone. Swype works better, more features in clock and calendar, and of course flash is nice. I'm glad I upgraded.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

nuch14150

Reaction score
I agree with VMAX. My battery life went down big time. I did the factory reset and am back to normal + 2.2 (maybe even better than normal.)

AllForNaught

Reaction score
Everything works better with 2.2, period. Pay no attention to the alarmists that don't know enough to do a factory reset after a ROM upgrade.

I was off the charger for just over 20 hours yesterday.

Everything else works better as well.

Sent from my SCH-I500 2.2 using DroidForums

dktk75

Reaction score
I don't understand what people complaint about.
since I updated to VZW ED01, and rooted with su-2.3.6.1.x.zip
It's faster than 2.1 (Quadrant result 1017),
It has stable 3g, battery life is same and GPS is much stabler than 2.1 (still it takes bout 3-4 secs to locate gps, but after some secs it locate right.).
If u have any problem, than it's your phone.
try unroot, factory reset than try again..

Jenaht

Reaction score
I don't understand what people complaint about.
since I updated to VZW ED01, and rooted with su-2.3.6.1.x.zip
It's faster than 2.1 (Quadrant result 1017),
It has stable 3g, battery life is same and GPS is much stabler than 2.1 (still it takes bout 3-4 secs to locate gps, but after some secs it locate right.).
If u have any problem, than it's your phone.
try unroot, factory reset than try again..

Firstly, Not everyone wants to root.

I'm glad for the update. I did experience battery issues but *think* I've fixed them with the factory reset and battery calibration (*228 etc).

The phone overall is smoother and frankly the reset cleans things up.

fordee11

Reaction score
the update is good... you only see people posting about bad things because everyone and their brother doesnt get on here to tell them they dont have a problem.. IMO

OP
S

Scott1974

Reaction score
Factory Reset?

If I download the 2.2 update and do the Factory Reset, will all of my data, photos, etc. be lost? If so, what is the easiest way to back-up what I currently have? Also, any apps that I've paid for, I'm assuming that I'd have to redownload them? If so, would it recognize that I've already purchased them?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
the update is good... you only see people posting about bad things because everyone and their brother doesnt get on here to tell them they dont have a problem.. IMO

This is true across the board no matter what phone you have. Froyo is an excellent update.

If I download the 2.2 update and do the Factory Reset, will all of my data, photos, etc. be lost? If so, what is the easiest way to back-up what I currently have? Also, any apps that I've paid for, I'm assuming that I'd have to redownload them? If so, would it recognize that I've already purchased them?

Well, you don't have to do a Factory Reset if you receive it OTA. You only need to do the Factory Data Reset if there is an issue after the OTA and that is extremely rare.

If you did a factory data reset your photos are safe, they are on your SD card. Apps are backed up in the Market, however any data you have in relation to an app will be lost. For example if you have a lot of stuff you've acquired from Home Run Battle 3D you would lose all of that. Your unpaid apps should return, it seems things have changed on that. Before your unpaid apps had to be restored manually but the last time I did it everything came back.

OP
S

Scott1974

Reaction score
Well, you don't have to do a Factory Reset if you receive it OTA. You only need to do the Factory Data Reset if there is an issue after the OTA and that is extremely rare.
The OTA Update is me just going into settings and checking for an update and then allowing it to download/install, correct? I've checked and see that I can download 2.2, but I haven't gone through with it.

ziggy484

Reaction score
The OTA Update is me just going into settings and checking for an update and then allowing it to download/install, correct? I've checked and see that I can download 2.2, but I haven't gone through with it.

Just do it already

Sent from an Ed01 Voodoo Fascinate

denlem

Reaction score
Froyo hasn't been a good update for me. Gmail does nothing but force close on me. When I use it, sometimes i'm able to send or read a message, other times it just locks up, does random vibrates, then crashes and restarts, gmail that is, not the phone.

Sometimes I can't turn off the screen. The power button just does nothing. I'll let it sit for a few minutes and try again, and then it works.

Today I went to make a call. Everything worked fine right up through dialing. While I waited for the other line to ring, my end just gave me a series of beeps and brought me back to my address book.

I had none of these problems under 2.1, and yes, I did do a factory reset after the 2.2 upgrade.

So now i'm just checking in to see if there are more complaints or suggestions on this update. In a few minutes i'm flashing back to 2.1 and see if I become stable again. If it is stable, then i'll attempt an upgrade again and see what happens. Maybe the upgrade went bad and is causing the problems.

Keesh001

Reaction score
I am! So far so good after I did the factory reset and took the battery out. I like the new look and feel. LOVE the ability to search my contact list by name and the new options for deleting text messages. We'll see in about 2 weeks for sure.

TBV

Reaction score
The good: :)

* The 'cursor' that appears for editing of text is the bomb! dancedroid

* Taking the Airplane Mode' icon off of the notification dropdown and replacing with regularly used things like Mobile Data and Auto Rotation makes total sense

* More flash capabilities

* Icons seem slightly larger (or is that my imagination?)

* option to save more apps to Sd card

* Ram manager within Task manager

The bad: :icon_evil:

* Battery life seems to have been compromised (have tried all things suggested on different threads)...not as horrible as some have described, but definitely not as good as it was prior to the update.

* Definitely experiencing more forced closures that ever (rarely experienced them before), but not too bad overall.

* For some strange reason, when playing Wordfeud, when screen goes black while I am surveying board and I immediately hit power to re-light screen, it will not turn on until 2nd attempt. (weird)

Overall I like the update, but definitely would be even more satisfied if a patch update were to be released to address some of the little glitches that appear to be in play. TBV