Is anyone else dropping Verizon when they're contract runs out?

Discussion in 'Tech News' started by cthebadge38, Jun 17, 2012.

1. nikecar

nikecar Active Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Thanks for your opinion, but i've gotten some noobs hooked on Android products and they love it. I like the customization you can do, rather than being told what you can do (i.e. Apple) with their "icons". I like that I can still use iTunes and have Google Play Manager sync the music automatically. I can also plug my phone into any pc to transfer something, rather than be screwed with Apple.

i don' thave Twitter nor other social media accounts, other than a FB page, fake of course, to get coupon deals. That;s it. i play games, search for things, use maps, stream music, etc. I know my wife says she doesn't want one, but I know she is jealous at times of my phone. She still isn't getting one.

I had the chance to get a physical keyboard as a warranty replacement, but they are all large and bulky, IMHO. Plus, something else physical to break. I like ICS. I like the sweep away feature to remove stuff from the notifcation bar. Disable apps, and kill running apps from memory are all joys to use.

2. jntdroid

jntdroid Super Moderator
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +319
    Though, I don't completely disagree with this. Even iOS, making a big deal out of deeper twitter and FB integration...

I don't think the phones are becoming "stupid" phones, I just think they're trying to pack too much into some of them, and yes, focusing too much on the social aspect of all of it.

3. crb

crb New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I love the social aspect of it. I can keep up with my family via FB, I only have close friends and family as friends. I plan to use it for video chats via Skype when we have a baby next year, I'm a truck driver. I browse the web a lot, lots of texts, videos, and pictures. I use data way more than voice. That may change next year though when my wife gets off the truck.

4. rochaeliseo

rochaeliseo Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm pretty sure I'm about to just drop the ETF. Seriously Verizon? $144 now for 4GB of data??!! 3 updates behind on my GNex??!! T-Mobile is about to start offering unthrottled unlimited data to their monthly 4G. May have to seriously consider them or Sprint. Plus no more rewards for the loyal 10+ year subscribers? I'm paying more for less and it got old extremely quick, no wonder the Nexus 4 didn't go to them.

5. 210droid

210droid Member

Ratings:
    +0
  6. Rhino94

Rhino94 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Me either. Unlimited is awesome

7. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    Until they take away my unlimited data, I am staying, $76 a month for unlimited with 450 minutes outside the network and 500 texts outside the network, can't beat this deal, and when I think my GS3 can't do its job anymore, which will be quite a while, when that time comes and they still offer me unlimited data as long as I purchase a phone outright, then, swappa eBay and Craig's list are my friends.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

8. droiduh

droiduh New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I might consider switching to another network (pre-paid?) when the verizon 2yr contract ends in June 2014.

Was on family plan but had to drop out to use smartphone (double 2GB special). Now mom has a pre-paid phone on another network. Dad is also considering to switch as well.

9. ambrown

ambrown Member

Ratings:
    +11
    I was heavily considering leaving. I looked at other carriers and mostly considered Sprint. But their idiotic charge of $10 per month per 4G phone turned me off fast, considering their LTE network isn't even in my area, so I'd be paying an extra $20 per month for two smartphones for a service I'm not getting.

Most recently I was going to drop Verizon when my contact was up in January and get the Nexus 4 and go prepaid. I found some appealing deals on prepaid service and was ready to pull the trigger. But my wife wouldn't hear of it. She wanted to stay on Verizon even though we'd be paying more. I figured we could save at least $50 a month by going prepaid, and with no contracts we could go back to Verizon any time. But I couldn't convince her since she was scared of losing Verizon's excellent network, something I've never disputed, their pricing choices and handling of data plans is where I have a beef.

But my current phone is having problems, and I don't really want to do the ebay tango again (where I got this Droid 2 after my Droid Incredible died of drowning in a pool last year) and Wirefly was selling the Razr HD for free till the end of January, so I caved and got it. It's actually due to be delivered today if all goes well. While I don't regret the phone choice, I do regret signing another Verizon contact for two years and losing my unlimited plan. I was kicking myself for not just going prepaid and getting the Nexus 4 when it's supposed to come back in stock this month.

So while I'm going to enjoy my new Razr, and I won't complain too much since I voluntarily signed a contract, I'm going prepaid next time regardless. Even if my wife can't bear to leave Verizon I'll just remove my line when the contract expires and get a prepaid plan and let her stay.

But who knows? In two years she might change her mind, after all she got very upset about the $30 upgrade fee (which I already knew about and factored into the savings of dropping Verizon) and is also upset at losing her unlimited plan. Net10 has a $90 plan for two smartphones right now and you get talk text and unlimited data (which gets throttled after 2 GB,but that I can live with, I'd rather be throttled than instantly charged more).

That's just been my dilemma for the past few months, and my solution wouldn't work for everyone, but I'm still in the drop Verizon camp after all is considered. I just don't feel like Verizon values me as a customer anymore what with the new fees, the awful share plans (because of the price for data, not for the sharing) it feels like Verizon only sees me as a cash cow to be milked for all I'm worth. And to top it off LTE is more efficient and cheaper for Verizon than 3G, so they're actually making a whole lot more money off of me, it's quite sickening. Verizon should know something is wrong when I feel extremely used by renewing a contract with them.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Can't give up Big Red til the other guys get a network this good. I have 4G all over the place even out in the boonies. My buddies with Sprint and AT&T not so much. So I'll put up with some crap to keep this great network.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

11. cybertec69

cybertec69 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +318
    Yea, pron :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

12. huskur

huskur Senior Member

Ratings:
    +36
    My sentiments exactly....

Search tags for this page