Is anyone else dropping Verizon when they're contract runs out?

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Until they take away my unlimited data, I am staying, $76 a month for unlimited with 450 minutes outside the network and 500 texts outside the network, can't beat this deal, and when I think my GS3 can't do its job anymore, which will be quite a while, when that time comes and they still offer me unlimited data as long as I purchase a phone outright, then, swappa eBay and Craig's list are my friends.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

droiduh

Reaction score
I might consider switching to another network (pre-paid?) when the verizon 2yr contract ends in June 2014.

Was on family plan but had to drop out to use smartphone (double 2GB special). Now mom has a pre-paid phone on another network. Dad is also considering to switch as well.

ambrown

Reaction score
I was heavily considering leaving. I looked at other carriers and mostly considered Sprint. But their idiotic charge of $10 per month per 4G phone turned me off fast, considering their LTE network isn't even in my area, so I'd be paying an extra $20 per month for two smartphones for a service I'm not getting.

Most recently I was going to drop Verizon when my contact was up in January and get the Nexus 4 and go prepaid. I found some appealing deals on prepaid service and was ready to pull the trigger. But my wife wouldn't hear of it. She wanted to stay on Verizon even though we'd be paying more. I figured we could save at least $50 a month by going prepaid, and with no contracts we could go back to Verizon any time. But I couldn't convince her since she was scared of losing Verizon's excellent network, something I've never disputed, their pricing choices and handling of data plans is where I have a beef.

But my current phone is having problems, and I don't really want to do the ebay tango again (where I got this Droid 2 after my Droid Incredible died of drowning in a pool last year) and Wirefly was selling the Razr HD for free till the end of January, so I caved and got it. It's actually due to be delivered today if all goes well. While I don't regret the phone choice, I do regret signing another Verizon contact for two years and losing my unlimited plan. I was kicking myself for not just going prepaid and getting the Nexus 4 when it's supposed to come back in stock this month.

So while I'm going to enjoy my new Razr, and I won't complain too much since I voluntarily signed a contract, I'm going prepaid next time regardless. Even if my wife can't bear to leave Verizon I'll just remove my line when the contract expires and get a prepaid plan and let her stay.

But who knows? In two years she might change her mind, after all she got very upset about the $30 upgrade fee (which I already knew about and factored into the savings of dropping Verizon) and is also upset at losing her unlimited plan. Net10 has a $90 plan for two smartphones right now and you get talk text and unlimited data (which gets throttled after 2 GB,but that I can live with, I'd rather be throttled than instantly charged more).

That's just been my dilemma for the past few months, and my solution wouldn't work for everyone, but I'm still in the drop Verizon camp after all is considered. I just don't feel like Verizon values me as a customer anymore what with the new fees, the awful share plans (because of the price for data, not for the sharing) it feels like Verizon only sees me as a cash cow to be milked for all I'm worth. And to top it off LTE is more efficient and cheaper for Verizon than 3G, so they're actually making a whole lot more money off of me, it's quite sickening. Verizon should know something is wrong when I feel extremely used by renewing a contract with them.

MacLeod

Reaction score
Can't give up Big Red til the other guys get a network this good. I have 4G all over the place even out in the boonies. My buddies with Sprint and AT&T not so much. So I'll put up with some crap to keep this great network.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need a nap and a bottle lol jk, really I feel your pain, but I'm always in learning mode so I try to find new things to do with my phone everyday, its useful for more than just facebook I promise.

Yea, pron :)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Droid Forums

huskur

Reaction score
Can't give up Big Red til the other guys get a network this good. I have 4G all over the place even out in the boonies. My buddies with Sprint and AT&T not so much. So I'll put up with some crap to keep this great network.

My sentiments exactly....

0KstateSig2015

Reaction score
I had some experience with losing the unlimited data on my wife's number when she did a phone upgrade/new 2-yr contract. I was out of town on business when she had a phone problem and since she had been due for an upgrade she just did that to solve her problem. When I got back I found out that when she upgraded she lost her unlimited data when she upgraded. Since we were still in the 10 day return policy I took her new phone back and made them revert back to the old contract which included unlimited data. After talking to multiple VZW people, I learned that you will not lose your unlimited data if you currently have unlimited data and in the future you always "bring your own equipment". So I will now never do any more upgrades/2 yr contacts again. This kind of sucks because now I have to wait till the newer phones become reasonably priced on sites like swappa, but this does allow me and my wife to each keep our unlimited data since we will never be signing a new contract.

MacLeod

Reaction score
The losing unlimited data can be a tough pill to swallow but it's not too bad for me. I have wifi in my house so I make sure I do all my big downloads like music and such then. 2GB is more than enough for me and I'm a very heavy Internet user so I can live with it but it does suck. Little turds tethering their phones and running up 80GB of data in a month is what caused this. I see the little douchebags bragging about it on other forums. Thank to them we lose our unlimited plans.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I use over 5gb a month... I both of my unlimited phones have been up since september... and until they force me to drop unlimited I'll just keep using my other lines upgrades... when they take unlimited I will take my service elsewhere. until then vzw coverage has me staying

IncredibleChick

Reaction score
Dropping them like the ghouls they are. Funny, T-Mo and Sprint are both considerably better service around here, and with Sprint I keep true unlimited data. I'm looking at my options. Since Sprint has also picked up on the benefits of selling GOOD phones, too, there's a lot of benefit to running with them in my area.

Natey2

Reaction score
I get very good T-Mo 4G all around my house now. I couldn't even get decent 3G inside my house when I had Verizon.
Despite what all the ads say.
Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

BumperTrash

Reaction score
Have they definitely dropped the unlimited data deal? If so, I'll probably switch to sprint... my contract runs out in January I think...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk now Free