Is anyone concerned about the entire front being glass with no Gorilla Glass?

combatmedic870

Reaction score
If Samsung and Corning developed something better don't you think it would be announced as a feature?

short answer.....yes.

But its not even officially announced here yet....

But seeing that they have teamed up...im not as worried about it.....

That still wont keep me from keying one at a verizon kiosk....

Last edited:

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
That still wont keep me from keying one at a verizon kiosk....

Store employee: Sir, that's not the Galaxy Note, it doesn't use a stylus.

You: I know, I'm testing out the fortified glass on this bad boy.

Store employee: Is that a key?

You: Yes, I'm also trying to unlock the bootloader.

jerroedr

Reaction score
please post the results of said in store experiment!

fobpartisan

Reaction score
Maybe Samsung didn't use gorilla glass on the nexus because it doesn't bend/curve? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Dmw017

Reaction score
There was an article in one of my RSS feeds a few weeks ago about Corning having a new type of fortified glass that bends and is better than Gorilla Glass (not making this up...) Cant remember its name but it was hinted that the Nexus might use this new type of glass..

Although the screen is curved so no worries about scratches or cracks.. plus I'm going to buy Wrapsols Ultra-Dry front protector anyways (Its super smooth, better than the glass imo, and more smudge/grim/oil resistant)
I read reports from various people that although the Droid 3 used Gorilla Glass, it got scratched up just by being in someones pocket or through other menial things. I had a D3 as well (which is how I came across that thread in the first place) and the glass seemed fine but I still got wrapsol for it (again, its literally smoother/better than the glass itself... and u get a lifetime warrenty... just saying.. they have the GNexus screens available to preorder, releasing on the 14th)

So, there ya go :) Id google that new Corning glass and see whats up. It was pretty cool when I saw it.

Dmw017

Reaction score
Ah, found it! "Corning Lotus Glass" COrning said the glass "has been qualified and is in production" ... and it allows for higher resolution displays and faster response times over the Gorilla Glass
Still, even if (somehowww) the gNex wont use Lotus, it still could perhaps have the Dragontrail glass from Asahi (a competitor to the Gorilla Glass). So.. seriously, no need to freak when some unknown info comes up about the Nexus.. or any phone for that matter, change is good and I trust in Googlez :)
On that matter, I think the reason why there has been no word on the Nexus is because all is well (..wtf, right? lol) I think Google/Sammy see the chaos/commotion going on about the phone but they are not worried because they aren't going to be screwing anyone over and so feel no need to release any info earlier than needed, because in the end, we'll all be satisfied anyways.

Corning’s New Lotus Glass Promises Higher-Resolution Displays and More | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Think it's been confirmed not to have Lotus glass either, I know I've read that somewhere but can't remember where.

I honestly wouldn't worry, as you said, screen protectors feel just like the glass, even better with a few brands and they prevent scratches 100%.

I've always used Seidio screen protectors on my OG and I love the feeling, had the same one on it for nearly 2 years with zero scratches.

I have zero concerns about scratches, the only concern I would have if we find out it's not a decent fortified glass is if it shatters easily, but then again I've only dropped my OG once, so I'm fairly careful.

I do plan to go without a case this time though, so maybe I'll buy insurance=P

I think the point to take from all of this is, there are ways to prevent scratches if the screen isn't scratch resistant(which it is), anyone who says they don't like the feel and can tell the difference between a screen with or without it's screen protector, well I don't think you've used a quality brand because these things are perfect and it looks like Wrapsols is another dry screen protector that is well made.

combatmedic870

Reaction score
Store employee: Sir, that's not the Galaxy Note, it doesn't use a stylus.

You: I know, I'm testing out the fortified glass on this bad boy.

Store employee: Is that a key?

You: Yes, I'm also trying to unlock the bootloader.

OMG i Laughed out loud when i read this! My girl asked what i was laughing about and i told her and she gave me a look like a deer in headlights... :haha:

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Keys aren't really a good test for glass, since the metal used is usually softer than any sort of glass.

I've never quite understood all the videos showing screens not being scratched by keys. Now put some sand on the screen and rub it around, see what happens then.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
OMG i Laughed out loud when i read this! My girl asked what i was laughing about and i told her and she gave me a look like a deer in headlights... :haha:

:D it's a phone nerd thing.

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Why not ask p3droid to do a scratch test on the nexus...he had/has one.