Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd like to see tw broken down. Instead of one download, let me pick from a few base features that enable certain other smaller features.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I was thinking along the same lines until the reports came out that Samsung phones are going to start shipping with Microsoft apps preinstalled.
Well, they're a whole other story. Sammy is bound & determined to do whatever they want.

Can't recall the phone, but I remember when vzw launched a phone with bing as the default for search. If I remember right, the first major update for that device gave the user the option to use Google.

Android is Google's product. Follow their rules & use their integrated apps & services. That's why I'm buying an android device.

I really think my next phone is likely to be a moto device.

Last edited:

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Well, they're a while other story. Sammy is bound & determined to do whatever they want.

Can't recall the phone, but I remember when vzw launched a phone with bing as the default for search. If I remember right, the first major update for that device gave the user the option to use Google.

Android is Google's product. Follow their rules & use their integrated apps & services. That's why I'm buying an android device.

I really think my next phone is likely to be a moto device.

There are too many forks of Android now and I dont see Google being able to reign it all in without alienating a bunch of OEMs.

Take the Nexus devices for example. If people were so concerned about wanting stock Android the Nexus devices would be the majority. They simply aren't by a huge margin.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks

The Samsung Fascinate.
Was that the one it shipped on? Thought it was a moto, but that's probably just because that's what I was using at the time. I know bing was also a download starting around the same time.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
There are too many forks of Android now and I dont see Google being able to reign it all in without alienating a bunch of OEMs.

Take the Nexus devices for example. If people were so concerned about wanting stock Android the Nexus devices would be the majority. They simply aren't by a huge margin.
Nexus devices are certainly a niche for the tinkering and/or purist crowd.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am willing to bet that if the S6 launched with stock Android and people used it for a while...then did the optional Touchwiz download after they would not go back to stock.

As you touched on earlier most TW features are actually very useful which ironically enough other manufacturers have added some to their own phones.

Stock Android is not for me. I don't like the way it looks (Launchers FTW), but it would be the loss of the features that would bother me the most.

Granted, that's all packed into a phone and there is no way it would ever be that big of a difference on the processing limitations of a watch.

Not sure about this. A couple friend of my wife and I, longtime Samsung users, just switched to iPhone (PUKE) because they hated Touchwiz so much. I tried to tell them to go to something either vanilla Android or closer to vanilla Android, but they are iZombies now.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's the little things. I wouldn't miss touchwiz as a whole, but they're are small features that I use every day & forget are part off it.

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Android wear right now is too much hassle and not enough benefit. As is any smart wear device.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Android wear right now is too much hassle and not enough benefit. As is any smart wear device.
Galaxy Circle headphones come to mind. They took Bluetooth headphones and made them complicated to use while taking away basic functionality of Bluetooth headphones at the same time. If AW makes you scratch your head, try out a pair of GCs. It'll make AW watches seem awesome in comparison. For that matter everything Samsung exclusive since the s pen is a head scratcher at best.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

Tonik

Reaction score
I'm confused. The article says, several times, that Asus is not abandoning Android wear. It is introducing a parallel product.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I think AW is growing at the rate it should. And competition shows that the smartwatch is viable. I hate to say it but Apple wouldn't get in the game if it wouldn't work. I like where it's heading, and look forward to update in the OS as well as the hardware.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Anyone else remember back in the days when you could scroll to the actual bottom of the available apps on the Market? Itunes? They didn't even separate into categories back then and with a little patience you could find the bottom.
That's where AW is right now but look where the former I mentioned have come from to where they're at.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
The AW section gets bigger every day. And most of it is useful apps not just some clutter.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Anyone else remember back in the days when you could scroll to the actual bottom of the available apps on the Market? Itunes? They didn't even separate into categories back then and with a little patience you could find the bottom.
That's where AW is right now but look where the former I mentioned have come from to where they're at.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
When I first got the g1, it didn't even take that long to reach the bottom of the list of apps.