Is an N64 emulator or PS1 emulator even possible

maxohkc

Reaction score
I have always wondered i know the android os is still somewhat fresh so i understand there is no ps1 or n64 emulator. I just want to know is it even possible, is the 600mhz processor able to handle an emulator of that level. I just want to know if its possible, i mean palm has a ps1 emu and iphones have a n64 and ps1. Just a question i would like answered.

droidstarr

Reaction score
It should be possible. Though based on what I read on the internet, the processor needs to be at least 5 times stronger than the emulated software. The N64 has a processor at around 90mhz. Multiply that by 5, and you get around 450mhz needed to emulate it. Though, that doesn't mean that it will be fully emulated, because even though we may have enough clock speed, we need to emulate other software that makes up the N64 other than processor. We just need to try it out to see if it will work. I'm not an experienced coder, so I can't start something like that. I hope someone does start on one though.

Last edited:

MustangGT500

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
NOT AGAIN !!!! READ THE OTHER THREADS. there are many of them about psx and n64 emu. it is possible and zod very talented programer has interests to do this.

ps : n64 cpu is 66 mhz. and psx is 33 mhz. factor 10x and a code optimized code is recommend. means n64 would need for 100% speed 660 mhz and psx 333 mhz. in advantage to use the gpu properly.

Reaction score
It's very possible, and it will happen eventually. The one who'll most likely do it is ZodTTD (http://www.zodttd.com). Since the Droid and iPhone have the same processing capabilities, a PS1 emulator should be able to run at close to full speed on the Droid, since it does on the iPhone. As for N64, some games will be playable, others won't. It's still in early development on iPhone, let alone Android.

Nukewire

Reaction score
The controls for the PSX and N64 games would be udder madness to try and use on the tiny droid keyboard though. I would really like to see how the dev of one of these emulators would go about mapping the controls to where they are actually usable.

Reaction score
The controls for the PSX and N64 games would be udder madness to try and use on the tiny droid keyboard though. I would really like to see how the dev of one of these emulators would go about mapping the controls to where they are actually usable.
If one of these came out, I'd definitely go out and purchase a separate controller to control the games. Really a PS3 controller could be used since it connects with bluetooth. ZodTTD got it working with iPhone, so I don't see why he couldn't get that working with the Droid as well.

If not, the Zeemote should fit the bill nicely!!

Nukewire

Reaction score
Yeah ya could do that, but try carrying a PS3 controller around in your pocket. lol would be pretty sweet tho.

droid d'oh

Reaction score
If you try really hard and believe in yourself all ur dreams will come true. Btw hi res would be awesome for the n64 on the droid.

Randomocity

Reaction score
At least with a rooted droid, porting over ps3 drivers were pretty easy. The linux drivers for the ps3 controller can be easily ported over for the droid, though there are still a few kinks with the bluetooth driver that I'm working out. I can keep you guys updated if anyone is actually interested.

Riddick

Reaction score

Map your own controls or buy some kind of gamepad accessory. Would probably also be on-screen controls as an option too. The controls don't matter, what matters is making the games play. For me I would probably only play simple games that only use a few buttons, those are the type of games I prefer to play on my phone anyway.

pinballwizard

Reaction score
Yes, the game gripper is good for most emu's, but you have to figure in the two joysticks ps1 has, pluse a like 12 buttons all together.

Last edited:

Riddick

Reaction score
The two joysticks are not even used for most games, neither are all 12 buttons. People who want to play will make do with the buttons, trust me.