Is an antivirus really neccesary

Hudson922

Reaction score
After the Chinese wallpaper incident I'm just wondering is an antivirus program really worth it?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

ChugIt

Reaction score
Worst case IF you somehow got a virus: Reflash everything just like formatting a PC gets rid of viruses.
Although, it isn't gonna happen.

mkthnx001

Reaction score
As I've been using *NIX-based operating systems for years now, I can pretty much guarantee that an anti-virus program is not needed. You will find it hard to implement a proper virus/malicious program on any *NIX O/S.

EDIT: Gosh, no sleep and I screwed up this post. Allow me to correct myself, malicious software/programs are able to run on *NIX-based operating systems. Rootkits beings a prime example. Than again rootkits and viruses are two different things. Anywho, probably going into too much unneeded detail.

Last edited:

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
After the Chinese wallpaper incident I'm just wondering is an antivirus program really worth it?

None of the virus programs caught it, did they? Lookout was late catching it. And like BnB said that wasn't a virus. That's malicious software.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Antivirus not needed as there are no known viruses for android. What the heck is it scanning for?

The chinese app was spyware. It asked for a lot of privileges and people granted them. This is something everyone has to look out for when downloading/installing apps.

Antivirus is such BS. They're playing catch up to the virus writers and it makes no sense. Keep all of your software up to date and only install trusted software and antivirus isn't needed. Scan your computer once in a while? Sure, why not. But I don't run it continuously on my computer and I'm not going to bother with that idiocy on android.

mkthnx001

Reaction score
Keep all of your software up to date and only install trusted software and antivirus isn't needed. Scan your computer once in a while? Sure, why not. But I don't run it continuously on my computer and I'm not going to bother with that idiocy on android.

That's my philosophy. Windows Defender on Windows 7, and rkhunter plus chkrootkit on Debian. Nothing more.

zerosouls

Soulless Droid
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
gplus.to
Please close this thread, hopefully some rookie will learn not to post this and searches one day.

Much Love! sorta..

OP
H

Hudson922

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before, I posted at work and didn't have time to search. But it's also because of work that I ask. I work at Radioshack and sell both Androids and Iphones. Lately I have been getting quit a few people mentioning the need for antivirus on Android. I want to give them an honest answer that's not just me pulling some BS out of my ass.

ShowTime

Reaction score
Most people will believe anything they hear from anyone about anything. One friend, coworker, commercial, etc touting a need for antivirus is all it takes. Tell your customers the Android operating system does not function like a regular desktop computer based OS, and is not even close to being as susceptible to viruses. Not to mention that there are currently 0 known viruses for Android in the first place.