Is a smartphone really going to be useful for me?

dweezle

Reaction score
Somehow I made it to being a senior citizen. I own, and use, a desktop, laptop, GPS and netbook. My cell phone is an old Motorola E815 that I connect to an antenna amp when traveling. I don't use any of these devices for gaming. I use them for Voice comm., research, online forums, email, Ebay, tracking the stock market, Netflix and storing my digital photos and old music. I have a Skype account but don't use it much. I used to tether my E815 but found it hard to get decent speed that way.

My bottom line question is, if I get a smartphone will I find it worth the extra monthly cost for a data plan? I know that you can't tell me anything 100%, I just want your thoughts. Thanks for your help.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A smartphone is basically a hand held computer. Aside from apps, there's nothing any of your current gadgets can't do (besides the obvious phone calls and texts) that a smartphone can.

... but since you seem to enjoy tech (guessing by your ownership of several devices) I'd venture a guess that you might enjoy a smartphone :)

nikecar

Reaction score
Somehow I made it to being a senior citizen. I own, and use, a desktop, laptop, GPS and netbook. My cell phone is an old Motorola E815 that I connect to an antenna amp when traveling. I don't use any of these devices for gaming. I use them for Voice comm., research, online forums, email, Ebay, tracking the stock market, Netflix and storing my digital photos and old music. I have a Skype account but don't use it much. I used to tether my E815 but found it hard to get decent speed that way.

My bottom line question is, if I get a smartphone will I find it worth the extra monthly cost for a data plan? I know that you can't tell me anything 100%, I just want your thoughts. Thanks for your help.

If you got a smartphone, you could stop using your GPS, and you could use it to:
a) voice calls
b) research online
c) online forums, as many might have an app for it
d) email
e) ebay ( i think there is an app)
f) stock market
g) netflix
h) listening to music (or videos or watching pictures) on your sd card and streaming no matter where you are

So yes, you'd be able to use a smartphone. there is an open office suite so you could do work, but it be slow process on the small keyboard. but for all the things you listed, you could do, no matter where you are. Netbooks, without wifi or internet, you cannot stream or check the stock market, or do online forums, etc...

you will find it useful.

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
Um....welcome to the forum? Glad u joined us? Lol jk...I think they gave u pretty good advice. Enjoy ur stay other wise

OP
D

dweezle

Reaction score
Thanks for all your help with this. My decision would be simple if it weren't for the $350 early termination charges. Plunking down for a 2 year commitment for approximately $720, plus the cost of a phone, for an unknown gizmo, is tough. I wish there was a way to try it out for a while and then commit.

smokiedabong

Reaction score
Get a $150 OG Droid from Craigslist and you don't have to sign a 2 yr contract , use it for a while , try Pandora , Google Maps , Email , Google Shopping and all the goodies , see if you like it or not , if you like it sell it on Craigslit and buy a better one , if you don't sell it on Craigslist and get your $150 back .
I would go directly with a 4G contract , I bet you will like it , there is nothing not to like , the only minus is the battery life .
You can backup all your pictures to Picasa and you can access them from your phone anywhere , you can stream music from your home PC to your phone , connect it to your car and listen while traveling . See how the weather will be or watch real time weather radars to see where the clouds are , video chat with your friend and much much more , it's impossible not to like it .

sqchram

Reaction score
You will absolutely love it, so long as your eyes can see the text, and your fingers can work the keyboard/virtual keyboard. Cost will be negligible as you will find you can simplify and drop more and more extraneous devices and services.

You'll drop the GPS. For me personally, I'd keep one of the three PC machines you have and drop two.

My plan is to eventually put all of my 'media' on to a 'cloud' service so my songs and pictures would be stored online and accessible from any device. No worry about making backups, or tranferring files to a new device.

You'll potentially recoup the cost and more if you get a 4G phone and get a data tether plan, then drop your home internet service - that is my plan. With a Netflix HD certified phone, such as the Droid 3 (3G - don't get), or Droid Bionic (4G, get this when it comes out!) you connect an HDMI cable to your HD TV and stream Netflix in high definition and surround audio on your phones data contract.

In fact the only reason I really still need my home pc, which as we speak is torn apart, is if I want to play a high-end PC game, or photo and video processing.

9wire

Reaction score
You will be amazed how quickly you won't be able to be without it. I'm not that old, but in my lifetime have gone from TV on an antenna with aluminum foil on it to internet in my pocket. 4g is the next step in web access, and it will be everywhere very soon.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Get a $150 OG Droid from Craigslist and you don't have to sign a 2 yr contract , use it for a while , try Pandora , Google Maps , Email , Google Shopping and all the goodies , see if you like it or not , if you like it sell it on Craigslit and buy a better one , if you don't sell it on Craigslist and get your $150 back .
I would go directly with a 4G contract , I bet you will like it , there is nothing not to like , the only minus is the battery life .
You can backup all your pictures to Picasa and you can access them from your phone anywhere , you can stream music from your home PC to your phone , connect it to your car and listen while traveling . See how the weather will be or watch real time weather radars to see where the clouds are , video chat with your friend and much much more , it's impossible not to like it .

Thing is, OG droids can be bought for like 75bucks now on ebay. But otherwise, I agree with this.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
i agree, the big thing will be the screen and if you can easily read what's on it.

I honestly think thats gonna be a huge market for windows phones...the older crowd...all that big legible print.

and you do get two weeks from vzw to try the phone...so no big loss...$35 restocking fee.

OP
D

dweezle

Reaction score
c

Okay, I'm checking back with an update. I bought a Droid X off Craigslist and have not been able to put it down since. I am rooted on Apex 2.0 RC3, have both USB and wireless tether working. At first I was amazed at what the various apps could do. After my initial, put-everything-onto-the-phone, phase, I've calmed down and am working with just the apps that I use and like.

Thanks to everyone here for helping me make up my mind. Now I just have to figure out why I would ever want to leave this phone. Everyone has written ROMs for the Droid X. It does more than I ever thought it would. Other than 4G, I don't think I will need to upgrade for quite some time and there is no 4g coming to my area anytime soon.:icon_ banana:

MikeRB

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what apps you and other people use. I am in my 30's and have considered getting a smart phone and I like you use the Internet for hours each day for similar things - research, online forums, email, Ebay and online shopping and I wander if the extra monthly cost for a data plan and the initial outlay to get a smartphone is worth it. For me the things I do on the Internet, I do not need to do while I am mobile - I am not usually away from home more than 10 hours, so the things I do on the Internet I can do when I get home. If someone emails me, when I am away from home, they are not expecting an immediate response - if they were they would call me, so why would I want to type slowly on a small keyboard rather than replying when I get home, typing quickly on a large keyboard. I can see how the Internet would be useful on "the move" occasionally, but not enough to warrant the extra cost. And it is not just the extra cost - I have a Nokia 6310i at the moment which I have had for about 8 years and I still only need to charge it once a week, where as I gather with a smartphone I would be probably be charging once every day or 2. I can see how an upgrade to a fairly "dumb" phone which could act as a camera and MP3 player could be useful, but not an upgrade to a smartphone with a 3G/4G call plan. How often do people find they use the Internet away from home?

Thanks

Mike

OP
D

dweezle

Reaction score
I'm curious to know what apps you and other people use. I am in my 30's and have considered getting a smart phone and I like you use the Internet for hours each day for similar things - research, online forums, email, Ebay and online shopping and I wander if the extra monthly cost for a data plan and the initial outlay to get a smartphone is worth it. For me the things I do on the Internet, I do not need to do while I am mobile - I am not usually away from home more than 10 hours, so the things I do on the Internet I can do when I get home. If someone emails me, when I am away from home, they are not expecting an immediate response - if they were they would call me, so why would I want to type slowly on a small keyboard rather than replying when I get home, typing quickly on a large keyboard. I can see how the Internet would be useful on "the move" occasionally, but not enough to warrant the extra cost. And it is not just the extra cost - I have a Nokia 6310i at the moment which I have had for about 8 years and I still only need to charge it once a week, where as I gather with a smartphone I would be probably be charging once every day or 2. I can see how an upgrade to a fairly "dumb" phone which could act as a camera and MP3 player could be useful, but not an upgrade to a smartphone with a 3G/4G call plan. How often do people find they use the Internet away from home?

Thanks

Mike
Mike
I think it is hard to answer the questions that you have without actually tryng a smart phone for a month or two. At the end of that time you could know more about how you would react to the abilities, and the modifiable features of the Android smart phones. So, find someones old phone (borrow or buy), that is in good shape and sign up for a single month. Even if at the end of the first week if you know it isn't for you, just go back to your old phone. The carrier will pro rate what you haven't used and refund the remainder. I'd be interested in what you decide, so check back if you try one out. I've been happy with the Droid X. Mine came with a 16gb micro sd card which has come in handy.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Mike
I think it is hard to answer the questions that you have without actually tryng a smart phone for a month or two. At the end of that time you could know more about how you would react to the abilities, and the modifiable features of the Android smart phones. So, find someones old phone (borrow or buy), that is in good shape and sign up for a single month. Even if at the end of the first week if you know it isn't for you, just go back to your old phone. The carrier will pro rate what you haven't used and refund the remainder. I'd be interested in what you decide, so check back if you try one out. I've been happy with the Droid X. Mine came with a 16gb micro sd card which has come in handy.

That's pretty good advice. I KNEW I didn't need a smart phone... until I got one, and now I don't know what I would do without it. But it could easily go the the other way where one gets it and thinks "man what am I spending all this money one."

Hawaiian Princess

Reaction score
ALOHA welcome to the forum. it really is a decision that only the user can make. im sure with all these great advices, u will end up with a super phone and u wont be looking back. enjoy ur stay...