Is a Droid usable with no wireless service - Like an iPod Touch?

apoapsis

Reaction score
What I am looking for is basically an iPod Touch, without the obnoxious Apple software and with a GPS unit.

I am not looking for a cell phone or mobile Internet. All I need is wifi.

So my question is can I buy an unlocked Droid and use it right out of the box, without getting any plan with Verison, and be able to use wifi to download and use apps and be able to use the GPS unit?

Any replies would be greatly appriciated :)

Thank you

patriot839

Reaction score
i am not sure but in theory you should be able to use everything over wifi but i dont think the google maps nav will be possible without any VZ service plan but i certainly may be wrong i have never tried

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
What I am looking for is basically an iPod Touch, without the obnoxious Apple software and with a GPS unit.

I am not looking for a cell phone or mobile Internet. All I need is wifi.

So my question is can I buy an unlocked Droid and use it right out of the box, without getting any plan with Verison, and be able to use wifi to download and use apps and be able to use the GPS unit?

Any replies would be greatly appriciated :)

Thank you
Technically yes (if it's unlocked) not to sure though. But I don't think it's worth it, the stock android music app is bad IMO. If your looking for a multimedia device I suggest getting an iPod Touch or ZuneHD as they were meant for that usage; not to mention it's a lot cheaper that buying a $600 phone that which is not going to be used as a phone. It's kind of a waste. I'd rather spend $300 on a good media player (even though you get stuck with @pple or Micr$oft) rather than $600 on a sub-par one. The Droid/Milestone was made primarily as a smart phone so all the multi-media stuff isn't up to par IMO. If you don't like @pple then I suggest the ZuneHD. Or maybe one of those Archos Tablets, I heard those are pretty good!

BTW there's no such think as an unlocked Droid as the Droid is specifically CDMA. The Milestone however can be bought unlocked :)

lexxon

Reaction score
I recently took my Droid to England and Sweden (both of which with no CDMA networks), so I can give some insight on this.

GPS doesn't work without data, at least the navigation part. So no dice unless you get a 3G card for your laptop and make it a hotspot or something along those lines. (Saw the 3G modem advertised in Iceland on my connector flights)

Some apps will cache data and work fine without internet, like TripIt, currency converter, etc etc, although the latter bugs you about updates constantly even when you have no connection.

All apps work perfectly fine on Wifi. Google Voice texts and messages come in fine, but SMS does not come through (as that's network traffic, not data) and you'll only be able to do voice over VoIP (Which I could with Sipdroid!)

Back on the GPS, the chip itself works MOSTLY without a network. It seemed to struggle with finding my location (It found Kensington in England but not Stockholm? This was weatherbug). I think it uses tower location when it has signal as well, so maybe that's why.

Not sure what else to add, so let me know if you have any other questions!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
To answer the question on no service plan...

If you buy from VZW you must have Cell and Data plans.
If you buy from ebay or another user then no you do not need a plan.

zakany

Reaction score
Sounds like you really want a small Android pad, not a Droid phone.

Brian1

Reaction score
Not like you have to buy songs from Apple. Just use your own MP3 files on the I-touch.

Brian

r-dubya

Reaction score
I recently took my Droid to England and Sweden (both of which with no CDMA networks), so I can give some insight on this.

GPS doesn't work without data, at least the navigation part. So no dice unless you get a 3G card for your laptop and make it a hotspot or something along those lines. (Saw the 3G modem advertised in Iceland on my connector flights)

Some apps will cache data and work fine without internet, like TripIt, currency converter, etc etc, although the latter bugs you about updates constantly even when you have no connection.

All apps work perfectly fine on Wifi. Google Voice texts and messages come in fine, but SMS does not come through (as that's network traffic, not data) and you'll only be able to do voice over VoIP (Which I could with Sipdroid!)

Back on the GPS, the chip itself works MOSTLY without a network. It seemed to struggle with finding my location (It found Kensington in England but not Stockholm? This was weatherbug). I think it uses tower location when it has signal as well, so maybe that's why.

Not sure what else to add, so let me know if you have any other questions!

Great information lex, and great second post!

Champers

Reaction score
To answer the question on no service plan...

If you buy from VZW you must have Cell and Data plans.
If you buy from ebay or another user then no you do not need a plan.
When you try to get the phone activated, you are going to need to select a data plan.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
GPS doesn't work without data, at least the navigation part.
GPS works just fine without data. It's Google Maps/Nav that won't work without data. Another GPS app that doesn't require data would work just fine. I haven't looked into any options as I don't have such a need.

wfholcom

Reaction score
Prior to purchasing the Droid, I went to a Verizon retailer and we were able to use the WIFI on a phone not yet activated. I navigated to my Google Account on the browser and was able to navigate to other web pages. You definitely would need to purchase from some one other than a Verizon Retailer. Also, the buy one get one free offer from Verizon requires activation of both phones. As you know, that requires a data plan.

OP
A

apoapsis

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the great info - it is greatly appreciated!

I still don't know quite I'm going to do, but all this helps!

droidangel

Reaction score
Droid A855

Hello, I would appreciate any help... I got my sister's droid that she no longer used, she upgraded with verizon.All I want is for my grandchild to be able to play games via wifi and download from android market.I don't want to put on a plan, just use wifi. When I try to connect to our clear internet in scans, connects, then diconnects.Any ideal what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

droidangel

Reaction score
Hello, I would appreciate any help... I got my sister's droid that she no longer used, she upgraded with verizon.All I want is for my grandchild to be able to play games via wifi and download from android market.I don't want to put on a plan, just use wifi. When I try to connect to our clear internet in scans, connects, then diconnects.Any ideal what I'm doing wrong? Thanks

I forgot to add, that I tried downloading games to droid sd card on my evo then putting back in droid, games did not show up on phone or sd card, when connected to computer, but when I put my sd card for evo back in, they are there...