Is a computer NEEDED to upgrade to CM11?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by Krenzy, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Krenzy

Krenzy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I have a rooted RAZR Maxx, no ROMs ever, and we don't have a computer. Is a computer needed to do the necessary steps to flash CM11? This will be my first attempt to flash anything.

2. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Ratings:
    +7
    What I want to know, is, how did you manage to root your RAZR MAXX without a computer?

Those are the videos I used based on the versions that were available at the time. You're basically talking about cutting out the middleman (the PC). Just get a jump on things, create a folder called ROMS on your SDCard. Download everything to that folder, then follow the instructions in the videos.

Mind you, the instructions may not be consistent with the current versions of Safestrap and CM out there, now. Use at your own risk.

3. Krenzy

Krenzy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I had a working laptop when I rooted. Now the damned thing won't boot, and if it DOES boot, it takes over half an hour to get into any folder, I.e., My Computer...it's shot.

4. doniago

doniago Active Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I think while you might be able to download the ROM and install it without a PC, your larger problem may be getting a recovery up and running without a PC. That said I'm not tremendously experienced at such things. Best of luck!

5. TheWitness

TheWitness New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    As of the 21st Nightly of CM11, wireless does not work well. So, I'm back to the 12/05 Nightly of 10.2, which is ROCK SOLID!

6. GotnFX

GotnFX Active Member

Ratings:
    +32
    Had CM11 downloaded and about to create a ROM slot in SS.. had a low internet signal with the CM 10.2 nightly, but can't remember which one. I guess I'm sticking with stock for while.

7. TheWitness

TheWitness New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I noted that starting with the nightly after 12/05. That is why I stayed at 12/05. I was loosing network all the time. There was an APN update after that date, and after then, it was not stable. That's one of the problems with nightlies. But 12/05 is working for me.

8. Krenzy

Krenzy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Here's a gentle repost of where I'm at:

I apologize for the crappy typing, I was using my Droid X, and it's not so easy to use anymore. To be more clear, my Razr Maxx XT912 CDMA was previously rooted by myself using Matt's Utilities 1.8 (I believe). I decided to try my hand at flashing CM11, and did a fair amount of research; admittedly each link had their own recommendations for backups and strap programs. I installed Safe Strap, made a backup, and downloaded the CM11 file, then followed directions and created a Rom Slot 1 with both CM11 and Gapps installed. I flashed it, cleared cache and dalvik, and rebooted to CM11.

It worked perfectly, but I had a bad feeling about the stock ROM, since I was down to 0.71 KB of space (AFTER I transferred stuff over), so I decided to go back to SafeStrap and do a factory reset on the stock Rom, which i felt would then free up more memory and help ensure a smooth CM11...not sure if I was right in thinking that, but I went with it since I saw videos where others also did a factory wipe. My idiot self looked at everything and saw cache, dalvik, etc, but also System. I wiped this file. I assume I erased the firmware file, or perhaps every single thing. I can get into the black and white menu, as well as the triage/recovery menus, but my computer (which i just managed to get to turn on, but won't connect to the internet) will not recognize the Razr when connected; it recognizes the Droid X though.

I have been searching most of the day for replacement files, and I believe I found the correct files at Motorola Firmwares I downloaded the most recent one to the SD card of the X, then swapped cards into the Razr, and tried to apply it via Recovery under the "Apply from external" option: No dice. Installation aborted. I tried connecting my Razr to the computer and running Matt's files, and for a bit I thought it worked as it said it was now on a certain file (I forget which), but as I said, theres no option for the phone under the My Computer menu. The phone in AP Boot mode recognizes it is connected via USB. Numerous reboots, the screen stayed on most of the night, switching between the red M and the triage droid. I really need my phone back, as it is both my computer and my only phone. I'm pissed because I HAD it right and everything worked just fine, then I got overzealous.

Can someone tell me if I simply need to apply a certain file, and please direct me to the necessary one, or what type of help I should seek out? Thank you all. Merry Christmas!

9. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Ratings:
    +7
    If I understand you right, you're fearing that you've wiped the Stock ROM. I thought I did that, as well. However, I also learned that newer versions of SafeStrap prohibit that, as while you're on Stock ROM, certain items are in RED, thus disallowing (or maybe not recommending...I'm not sure but I'm not going to test that on my phone) certain actions. I don't remember exactly what I did or which actions I took, but I somehow managed to get back into Safestrap and set it back to Stock ROM. To be honest, I think I just started pressing any buttons out of frustration and somehow got somewhere.

What are you seeing now when you boot your phoneo? Any error messages? Are you able to turn it off and on? Is Safestrap currently installed? Do you see the safestrap screen? Can you access SafeStrap?

Also, in regards to your drive space, I've been using an APP to SD app, installing most of my apps to my MicroSD. I screwed up when installing CM and set it only to 1GB, just never got around to redoing it, so it's still is set at 1GB. I don't use it, but it still works. It's difficult to install apps, though considering there's practically no space left on the main partition. With that, I'm fairly confident that, if I did redo my partition, 2GB would be enough, but 3GB if I didn't want to install my apps to my MicroSD card. Not sure how much of a performance loss that is. Doesn't seem to phase me, though.

10. Krenzy

Krenzy Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I cannot access SafeStrap though it was installed, run, and I created a backup before this happened. I only see the red M logo, and the DROID on his back. I cannot get into my phone or safestrap, nor do I see the SafeStrap screen

11. JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Member

Ratings:
    +7
    Isn't there a key you can enter at this point to get to another screen? I forget if it's both volume up and down buttons or the down button and the power button, or all 3 buttons. I also can't remember if you hold them in or just press them quickly. Give it a go and see if you get anywhere.

Edit: I just read somewhere to hold the volume down button and tap the volume up button.

12. TheWitness

TheWitness New Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Simply SBF back to stock. You will have to reload your apps, but this will get you out of hot water.

Search tags for this page
cm11 for droid x2

cm11 for droid3

dirodx cm11
droid x2 cm11
how to install cm 11 without pc
how to install cm11 on android device with out computer

how to install cm11 without computer

how to install cm11 without pc

install cm11 without computer
install cm11 without pc