Is 4G worth the price? I say no...

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I say switch carriers, especially if you are not in one of these 4G markets because if you get a 4G phone you are going to be paying for the service. Also neither of the carriers are even close to the actual 4G spec...Not sprint, not T-Mobile, Not ATT, and neither will Verizon.

Will T-Mobile be raising their prices with this new "4G" era as well? If not i say go with them. That's who i will be going with when i get back from my deployment. At least i know which carrier i wont be with.

Here in Nashville because the load is so light you get ABOVE 4G speeds. VZW quotes there 4g speed at 5-12M and actual speeds in Nashville right now are 15+ (yes, because the network isn't loaded but still). Should note that right now ONLY VZW has anything near actual LTE technology in their towers. Granted the initial load will take the speeds down but they will (I hope) update more towers as needed. The actual coverage of 4G here in Nashville is HUGE (4x's what I even hoped it would be). So we'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I may just go with t-mobile because of that hot chick they have selling the mytouch 4g in those commercials!

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I may just go with t-mobile because of that hot chick they have selling the mytouch 4g in those commercials!

^+1, if they had coverage here I might consider it (especially if she came with the contract, lol).:icon_eek:
Oh, that's another thing that adds value (to me and many other) to VZW, their coverage is FAR superior to anyone else in the area.

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Heck yea! My girlfriend would prolly knock that tmobile girl out though if she came with the plan.

him

Reaction score
I say switch carriers, especially if you are not in one of these 4G markets because if you get a 4G phone you are going to be paying for the service. Also neither of the carriers are even close to the actual 4G spec...Not sprint, not T-Mobile, Not ATT, and neither will Verizon.

Will T-Mobile be raising their prices with this new "4G" era as well? If not i say go with them. That's who i will be going with when i get back from my deployment. At least i know which carrier i wont be with.

Here in Nashville because the load is so light you get ABOVE 4G speeds. VZW quotes there 4g speed at 5-12M and actual speeds in Nashville right now are 15+ (yes, because the network isn't loaded but still). Should note that right now ONLY VZW has anything near actual LTE technology in their towers. Granted the initial load will take the speeds down but they will (I hope) update more towers as needed. The actual coverage of 4G here in Nashville is HUGE (4x's what I even hoped it would be). So we'll see what happens in the coming weeks.

Still not meeting the 4G Spec...4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Only thing that bothers me about the whole thing is these companies play off the ignorance of its customers.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Still not meeting the 4G Spec...4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia . Only thing that bothers me about the whole thing is these companies play off the ignorance of its customers.

I'm sure VZW has data showing their network is 'capable' of those speeds (remember those specs are always 'theoretical' speeds and not what is common/practical, just like you will NEVER see the potential speed of your wireless 'N' network at home). I'm also willing to be that they have the network throttled back at this point because there is such a small load/need. Going back to a point from earlier NO CARRIER is EVER going to offer those '4G' speeds (100M) across their network because there is NO WAY possible for them to get the bandwidth they would need to supply that type of service. And again you have to remember there are physical limits to the long-haul and trunklines coming into any one area/city. These lines are shared for EVERYTHING that uses the internet (cable, internet, phone, cellular service ect). Again must cities are running near or at capacity already (why do you think so few cable internet users get the true tops speeds they 'pay' for and the speeds fluctuate, sometimes quite a bit).

MadScientist

Reaction score
Did anyone happen to notice that the originating article for this thread was published last May? A lot of things have changed and I don't think this is necessarily valid now but you never know.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

him

Reaction score

I'm sure VZW has data showing their network is 'capable' of those speeds (remember those specs are always 'theoretical' speeds and not what is common/practical, just like you will NEVER see the potential speed of your wireless 'N' network at home). I'm also willing to be that they have the network throttled back at this point because there is such a small load/need. Going back to a point from earlier NO CARRIER is EVER going to offer those '4G' speeds (100M) across their network because there is NO WAY possible for them to get the bandwidth they would need to supply that type of service. And again you have to remember there are physical limits to the long-haul and trunklines coming into any one area/city. These lines are shared for EVERYTHING that uses the internet (cable, internet, phone, cellular service ect). Again must cities are running near or at capacity already (why do you think so few cable internet users get the true tops speeds they 'pay' for and the speeds fluctuate, sometimes quite a bit).

Copy that but my thing is these companies are selling the average consumer something you dont get near. With the N standard you are able to get pretty good speeds at your home from router to computer. At least i am able to get a quarter of the speed at my home. They are not coming anywhere near the standard...100M mobile and 1Gig stationary. Got it that the hardware and infrastructure doesnt support it...than dont advertise it, or be open with the consumer. Dont just latch on to 4G and start throwing it around to sell phones and get customers to sign contracts.

joshoid

Reaction score
I am also pleased with current 3G service. I have no plans on switching to 4G unless forced. Then review options!

OP
Stelv

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Did anyone happen to notice that the originating article for this thread was published last May? A lot of things have changed and I don't think this is necessarily valid now but you never know.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Good catch. I didn't realize how old the article was. I am certain they will charge more though for 4g, but this is all just speculation until there is an official announcement. some of us heard it would be tomorrow but who knows.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

jbdow

Reaction score
Well... i certainly don't know what their plans are...but i'm not terribly concerned.
3g is plenty fast for me, and if anything gets too expensive i'll do without.
I'm flexible that way:)

jbdow

Reaction score
And btw, thanks KZIwarrior for the info- keep it coming, we need your brains,

r, john

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
4g definitely feels like overkill. I use my D1 for a lot of stuff, but i've never been like man if only my internet was 3x as fast I'd gladly pay 50 dollars for it.

Necessity is the mother of all invention and right now, do we need 4g?

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
4g definitely feels like overkill. I use my D1 for a lot of stuff, but i've never been like man if only my internet was 3x as fast I'd gladly pay 50 dollars for it.

Necessity is the mother of all invention and right now, do we need 4g?

With the new/next gen of tablets it will be more of an issue. But it all comes down to what you are going to be doing. For basic emails and web-surfing, not really. But most of the new tablets have fairly high resolutions so the extra bandwidth might be nice for some that plan to stream videos. for probably ~95% of users, no it's not needed but a LOT of people will pay for it just because, so VZW is (and should) milk them for it. Supply and demand:icon_ banana: Though going back to the bandwidth issue (or rather the finite limit) increasing speed of small functions (e.g. emails, basic web-pages) can actually 'lighten' the load on the system. So the higher speeds could, in theory could actually give better service to larger group of users (again, in theory, these things get complicated in the actual implementation)

Detonation

Reaction score
What I would love from Verizon is an all around 4g package that would include both home and wireless internet. Right now I pay $40 for home internet and $30 for 3g a month. If 4g is as fast as they say it is (which would be faster than my home internet) and they could offer an unlimited plan like this for $70, I'd definitely take it. It will never happen though.