IR Blaster

killianss

Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that the droid turbo does not have an IR blaster?

I am looking to upgrade from an S4 but that IR blaster is a deal breaker as I use my s4 as a remote for multiple tvs regularly.

Thanks in advance for any info

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
That would have been extremely cool to have.
In my house, finding the remote after my "teenagers" have been out of their cages is like a CSI investigation.
I've found the remains of long lost gangsters during "remote searches" some people have flower arrangements in their family rooms - I have banks of high powered search lights.
It's rediculous.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
Love the IR on my Note 3. I use it with the WatchOn app all the time. Looking forward to having it again on the Note 4.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Ya know I honestly thought the whole IR Blaster was just another gimmick cooked up by Sammy & the gang, but damn if I don't love this feature on my S5.
I've set up a lot of generic universal remotes over the years and I have to say, its incredibly easy to set up compared to those.
As Ollie mentioned, along with the WatchOn app, its an awesome feature to have on a smartphone.
Of course it's not going to replace my Logitech Harmony (no comparison there) but as a second remote or for when the batteries need recharging in the Harmony, the IR Blaster is great and a feature I never imagined using as much as I do.

S5 tap'n

Last edited:

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Fair enough ... Just PLEASE Do Not tell my Wife that her phone (S5) can be a Tv Remote.

The balance of power in my house is tenuous enough without that entering the fray.

Thank you :)

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I preferred the WatchOn app when it was usable over wifi with my television before they made it IR proprietary. I didn't have to bother with pointing my device at my TV's receiver.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I preferred the WatchOn app when it was usable over wifi with my television before they made it IR proprietary. I didn't have to bother with pointing my device at my TV's receiver.
Can you get the older version and install it over top of the 1 you have now? IR is nice but it certainly would be much more ergonomic if you didn't have to point it at the IR receiver.

wardo

Reaction score
Where can I find if my phone has the IR blaster? Note 2
A sammy tv's

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Where can I find if my phone has the IR blaster? Note 2
A sammy tv's
The Note 2 does not have an IR blaster.

One way to tell if a phone has one is to look at the top edge of the phone. It will be a shiny dark spot (usually a circle, but sometimes a rectangle, and it will be bigger than a mic hole). Cases will have a cutout for it.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Can you get the older version and install it over top of the 1 you have now? IR is nice but it certainly would be much more ergonomic if you didn't have to point it at the IR receiver.

Actually it doesn't have to be all that precise. Simply pointing it towards your tv works just fine. (Which most of us do with a regular remote anyways)
Most cheap replacement remotes are IR, whereas a loth of newer tvs (and your higher end universal remotes) use RF technology, which gives you much more freedom of course.

S5 tap'n

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Actually it doesn't have to be all that precise. Simply pointing it towards your tv works just fine. (Which most of us do with a regular remote anyways)
Most cheap replacement remotes are IR, whereas a loth of newer tvs (and your higher end universal remotes) use RF technology, which gives you much more freedom of course.

S5 tap'n

Right. Point at was a general phrase as in point in the general direction. But now not only are there RF connected devices but there are (and have been for a while), network connected devices such as AV Receivers (Denon for example... Denon Remote App - Android Apps on Google Play) which allows you to communicate with it over the web both locally and remotely. My FIOS TV box does that now and I can record shows at home while on my phone remotely. I can also control the TV volume via the FIOS box in rooms where I don't have a network connected AV Receiver. All this is done either with apps from the Receiver manufacturer or in the case of FIOS, the My FIOS app.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model

I will have to check one of my backups and see if I can pull the .apk.

Line of sight is line of sight. Unfortunately for me that means the IR doesn't work from my dining room table because there is a couch in the way. I also can't change the channel from another room either before arriving into it. Those are all small inconveniences though. It was just nicer before.