IPv6 on reboot with Slayher kernel

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by Paul1201, Oct 16, 2010.

1. Paul1201

Paul1201 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I switched from the P3 kernel I was running to try Slayher's LV 250/1000 kernel. So far I am liking it and it seems to have resolved some of the battery drain I was having with ChevyNo1's LV 250/1000 kernel.

I have been able to run the following script in Terminal Emulator to get IPv6 to run after each boot:

su
    insmod /system/lib/modules/ipv6.ko

To streamline that I downloaded GScript Lite so I can run the script with one click. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to enable this script to run with each boot. I have Root Explorer already installed so preferably if you can help me out by using this app instead of ADB commands that would be great (I have no experience with ADB at all and very little with Root Explorer).

BTW - Does Slayher have a LV 125/1000 kernel? I have read posts about one existing but I can't find it.

2. burgeke

burgeke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used the 125/800 version 1.6 from ROM Manager and didnt have to load the ipv6 module manually. I am using a 2.2.1 source built ROM that I compiled.

I could be wrong but I could have sworn it was compiled in the kernel vs a module you have to load ... at least in his 1.6 series I grabbed from ROM Manager.

As an aside, been following your posts on other forums. Really wish P3 would chime in on adding ipv6. Love those kernels.....

3. Paul1201

Paul1201 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been using SPRecovery and have not looked into ROM Manager yet. I downloaded the Froyo 1.6 kernel linked to from the Cyanogen Mod forum ( Froyo Kernels by slayher - CyanogenMod Forum ). That is where I found out that in the 1.6 kernels Slayher had implemented IPv6 and how to run the script but I did not see how to enable the script with each boot. The thread changed to how to enable compcache and how to load it with boot. I may have to join that forum just to ask this question.

My understanding is that IPv6 can come from either the kernel or the ROM so maybe your source built ROM has the module installed. I am not sure how the module was "removed" from my stock kernel by the P3 kernel and maybe what I should do is try restoring back to my stock kernel nandroid and then load Slayher's kernel. I better figure out how to restore my apps and data with Titanium Backup before I do that.

I agree that it would be amazing if P3 added IPv6 to the Froyo kernels. My Droid ran flawlessly with the 7 slot LV 125/1000 kernel. I never had a redraw issue and the battery life was astounding. My battery and CPU temps were always less than 110 degrees. P3 has a lot of modules at the bottom of the kernel page and from what I can tell IPv6 is basically the only one that has not been posted yet. P3 has done so much for the Droid community I really hesitated to ask for help over at My Droid World.

4. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Dumb question - what is the advantage of using ipv6 on a Droid? Isn't VZW's network still ipv4-based? Or is this for use on a personal wifi network? Just curious, is all.

5. burgeke

burgeke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Some apps such as Google Goggles requires it or you get a FC.

6. Dave12308

Dave12308 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Interesting. I hadn't played around with Goggles very much, so I never really realized that.

Search tags for this page

download ipv6.ko for android

droid 2 cyanogenmod ipv6 module

ipv6 root explorer

ipv6 script root explorer

reboot a droid bionic kernel version