iPod to Droid adapter

jhumbo

Reaction score
Is there a way to connect a Droid to iPod accessories? I have an iPod connector input in my car that I really wish I could connect my Droid to. I want to be able to pause, skip to next song, etc. from my steering wheel. Anyone know if this is possible?

kickasz23

Reaction score
I was looking for this too right now I am using a fm transmiter

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Nope. iPod interface is proprietary. Apple has invested quite a bit to get its interface out there and it's a big reason I use an iPod in my car instead of my Droid. It's not just a matter of adapting the physical connections but the protocol used. I'm not aware of any Android device designed to interface to a head unit for control and audio output via the USB port on the device.

You could hack the iPod interface to fashion a line out adapter to plug into your Droid's headphone port. You wouldn't have control of the Droid or anything like that.

You need aux in, A2DP, etc on your head unit to get audio to your head unit. There are companies that make aftermarket kits for many factory stereos.

If you want control via BT your head unit needs to also support AVRCP.

Last edited:
C

crazins

Why in gods name would anyone want to use such and unholy thing such as apple products with a wonderful device like the droid?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Why in gods name would anyone want to use such and unholy thing such as apple products with a wonderful device like the droid?

LOL!

I am not a fan of Apple or iPods, but they did make the mp3 mainstream, along with smartphones so we can thank them for our Droids.

I can honestly say I hate the interface of iPods, but I have one just to play in my iPod headunit in one of my cars. Hate the thing, but the actual connector is in the glovebox so it's not easy to take it out and choose a song if I were to get an adapter.

C

crazins

Apple and there dare to be different...

I see... well the one guy ordered a 3.5mm jack to ipod connector thingy(thanks for being different apple. great idea, almost as good as a one button mouse.)... but I honestly dont know if that will work... does your car have just a regular 3.5mm Aux in jack that you can just use with your droid? in that case i would suggest picking up about a 3ft 3.5mm double male aux jack and a car holder. it sticks right on your windshield kind of like a GPS device. if you have to use the ipod jack for the car then try ordering that cable, but I honestly dont know how it will react with a droid.

OP
J

jhumbo

Reaction score

I agree with your sentiment, but my car has an iPod interface but no AUX input so if I want to listen to music off of my Droid in the car, then I either need an FM transmitter or figure out a way to hook into the iPod interface. I'm not a fan of FM transmitters.

I am not a fan of Apple or iPods, but they did make the mp3 mainstream, along with smartphones so we can thank them for our Droids.

Apple/iPod did NOT make the mp3 mainstream. The mp3 was mainstream long before the iPod. Everyone was using MP3s when I was in the dorms in 1995 and I had an Archos Jukebox 6 GB hard-drive based MP3 player in 2000.
archos6000.jpg

The iPod didn't come out till 2001 and 5GB or 10GB so pretty similar. I never did understand why people made such a big deal out of the original iPod. Although it was nothing revolutionary, it was cute, compact and simple and it was properly marketed with lots of 3rd party accessories. That is what Apple does well.

{snip} does your car have just a regular 3.5mm Aux in jack that you can just use with your droid? {snip} if you have to use the ipod jack for the car then try ordering that cable, but I honestly dont know how it will react with a droid.

No AUX so I have to use the iPod jack. I also am not certain if it will work, but that site said they'll take returns so I'm going to give it a shot.

Last edited:
OP
J

jhumbo

Reaction score
My GROM Audio adapter came in today (link above). Works like a charm and sounds great!

Last edited: